It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween and Terrorism in the US....concerned?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ok...so this is a genuine concern of mine living in the US and having a family with small children. I haven't seen this come up yet. I know there is likely little to worry about where I live, but I can't help but think that this is a prime opportunity for Terrorist minded individuals or groups to be able to mass kill without being detected for a few hours, especially with the call to arms ISIS has given to cut down people in the streets. Halloween already brings out the crazies.....

My thought is that they could easily go under the radar dressed as whatever with weapons in hand that most would not think are real until the last second. I am sure there will even be plenty of people out dressed as ISIS trying to be edgy or funny or whatever, as inappropriate as that is. This would lend to a lot of confusion if this happens with people reporting that someone attacked them then police seeing some in ISIS type costumes and assuming they are the attackers, allowing the real attackers time to get to their next victims.

I know this is highly unlikely, but if I were a leader of an ISIS type organization this would be a very enticing night to wreak as much havoc as possible with a lot less chance of being caught and a lot higher chance of being successful based mainly on the fact that in most large cities there are always large groups dressed up and gather at places for parties and plenty of kids running around with parents.

If numerous attacks happen at the same time with that many people out, it would create mass chaos that LEO's would not be able to control in any fashion at all. It would seem Halloween is the perfect time for a guerilla style attack in multiple cities, overwhelming the local PD's and having so many potential victims in the streets.
edit on 10/24/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Stop giving them ideas, I know Halloweens suppose to be scary, but not that scary.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

OP, why are you trying to purposely scare yourself with paranoia?

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Stop giving them ideas, I know Halloweens suppose to be scary, but not that scary.

I totally agree with this reply.

You just ruined my morning, I was sitting here happily discussing with my child what costume I am going to pick up for her today.... and then this scariness. I almost want to call you a fewer mongerer on this one. Ugh.

If something new is meant to happen because of ISIS, it will. But until that time comes, I'm not going to let my life be ruled by fear. You shouldn't either.

Also, sorry if this sounded crabby. Just struck a nerve, Halloween's one of my favorite holidays. I will concede that you have presented a legitimate concern.

edit on 24-10-2014 by MojaveBurning because: blah

edit on 24-10-2014 by MojaveBurning because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

OP, why are you trying to purposely scare yourself with paranoia?

I wouldn't call it paranoia....I am not personally scared of it. I am just saying it is a concern of mine. Halloween already brings out the nutters. I can see this as a prime opportunity to be taken advantage of by a terrorist group in the US to create mass chaos and build a high body count.

I can say that terrorists go for the terror angle, and what is more terrifying than something like that happening with kids around?

With the nutter attacks that have already happened in Canada and the guy in NYC with a hatchet yesterday, I don't think I am out of line in this thought.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

I totally agree with this reply.

You just ruined my morning, I was sitting here happily discussing with my child what costume I am going to pick up for her today.... and then this scariness. I almost want to call you a fewer mongerer on this one. Ugh.

If something is meant to happen because of ISIS, it will. But until that time comes, I'm not going to let my life be ruled by fear. You shouldn't either.

Like I said, I am not worried where I am. I am in a large city but in the suburbs of it. I would worry more about being in the actual downtown of a city where there will be thousands out in the street on Halloween. My Halloween will consist of being in my neighborhood, where I know everyone, and walking house to house for a couple hours then going home and having some friends over for a bonfire and drinks.

I don't think the majority of people in the US would worry about this, just a thought that came to me.....

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I would think that this idea would have long since been thought of before me if it were to happen. It's only 7 days away.....not a lot of time to plan anything I would think.

Either way, I highly doubt they are reading ATS. I think there was only one known person from ATS that was in the news and killed people.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I'm with you vasa. Not just an ISIS attack either. 2014 has been a year of people making bad choices and confrontations, the purges, Michael brown rioters, bundy ranch, etc.

It's been just one thing after another and The feeling in the air is almost that of "nothing matters go cause chaos"

I'm in Genesee county which is home to the beautiful sprawling metropolis that is flint so I'm hoping that my own little local band of extremist will keep any unknown band of asshats at bay but I do fear that your right. It's the perfect night for shenanigans, and people know it.

I know if I'm out walking with anyone at least a few precautions will be taken but my kids are both under 2 so I think il prolly dodge this year.

Krazyshot its not on purpose trust me. Have kids and you will get it. Dangers become so much more evident when oxytocin is in the mix lol.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

The only reason you think the nutters come out during Halloween is because of news articles like this:
Snacks Laced With Marijuana Raise Concerns

I'm sure you are familiar with the "razor blades in apples" bit or other such nonsense that news organizations are always going on about this time of year. Except ALL of that is based on unfounded information. Even a cursory fact check on these types of articles shows that they are full of crap. You need no more watch over your children this year on Halloween than any other year.

Eight facts about terrorism in the United States

In the last five years, the odds of an American being killed in a terrorist attack have been about 1 in 20 million (that's including both domestic attacks and overseas attacks). As the chart above from the Economist shows, that's considerably smaller than the risk of dying from many other things, from post-surgery complications to ordinary gun violence to lightning.

Your example in Canada and the guy with a hatchet aren't going to increase those odds that much. Stop working yourself up into a tizzy about nothing.
edit on 24-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately I agree with everything you are thinking, call it paranoia, or just being logical.
I often think why these terrorist groups don't seem to come up with the simple ideas, for if they did they could easily bring where I live (UK) to it's knees.
Targeting power plants, the main road networks, it's all well and good terrifying us by using medieval time be-headings, jumbo jets into skyscrapers, but they are one off statement attacks.
If you wanted to real upset the PTB you would have to hurt them in the pocket, but these attacks don't happen, this makes me suspicious of what is really happening with all the conflicts that are ongoing around the planet at present.
Is it just what Human Beings do?
Is it orchestrated?
Who knows......
We live in worrying times :-(

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The only reason you think the nutters come out during Halloween is because of news articles like this:
Snacks Laced With Marijuana Raise Concerns

I'm sure you are familiar with the "razor blades in apples" bit or other such nonsense that news organizations are always going on about this time of year. Except ALL of that is based on unfounded information. Even a cursory fact check on these types of articles shows that they are full of crap. You need no more watch over your children this year on Halloween than any other year.

Eight facts about terrorism in the United States

In the last five years, the odds of an American being killed in a terrorist attack have been about 1 in 20 million (that's including both domestic attacks and overseas attacks). As the chart above from the Economist shows, that's considerably smaller than the risk of dying from many other things, from post-surgery complications to ordinary gun violence to lightning.

Your example in Canada and the guy with a hatchet aren't going to increase those odds that much. Stop working yourself up into a tizzy about nothing.

Ummm.....no.....those articles actually have nothing to do with why I think this. By nutters I don't mean killers. Halloween in general brings out craziness in people because they are dressed up, drinking more and typically attending large gatherings or parties.

I really don't care about the 8 facts about terrorism, because terrorism doesn't care about statistics. I am simply saying this is a prime opportunity for a group to do some real damage without being caught. Everyone around will have costumes on, many with fake blood and whatnot. If something happens, the ability to assess a situation for LEO's would be almost impossible due to the number of people, the fact people are costumed and may not be recognizable, the fact that many will likely have Terrorist inspired costumes (though they likely are not terrorists).....all lends to a really bad situation that could occur.

Again....I am not the paranoid type and am not really worried about pot laced brownies or whatever....I typically don't let my kids eat homemade anything from halloween and I always check the candy they get anyways.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Ummm.....no.....those articles actually have nothing to do with why I think this. By nutters I don't mean killers. Halloween in general brings out craziness in people because they are dressed up, drinking more and typically attending large gatherings or parties.

By that same token we should just be scared and fear for our lives on ANY major holiday. If Halloween is so scary for you, New Years Eve must be a NIGHTMARE.

I really don't care about the 8 facts about terrorism, because terrorism doesn't care about statistics. I am simply saying this is a prime opportunity for a group to do some real damage without being caught. Everyone around will have costumes on, many with fake blood and whatnot. If something happens, the ability to assess a situation for LEO's would be almost impossible due to the number of people, the fact people are costumed and may not be recognizable, the fact that many will likely have Terrorist inspired costumes (though they likely are not terrorists).....all lends to a really bad situation that could occur.

Yea I guess you are right, stats and reality can take a back seat to fears and paranoia. If it can happen, you should fear it with all your might right?

Again....I am not the paranoid type and am not really worried about pot laced brownies or whatever....I typically don't let my kids eat homemade anything from halloween and I always check the candy they get anyways.

The point was that I was comparing your unfounded fears about a terrorist attack on Halloween with the unfounded fears that people in Colorado are putting pot candy in trick or treaters' candy bags. In other words they are the same thing. Nonexistent threats.

For instance, if Halloween is such a threat to terrorism, why didn't we see terrorist plots on Halloweens prior to this year? Because of ISIS? HA! That's a joke! Before ISIS it was alqaeda and before them it was other terrorist groups. Stop fearing terrorism! You are just buying into the government propaganda. I posted the statistics about terrorism to help you allay your fears, not ignore them in favor of unfounded paranoia.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Every Halloween I whip out old Bessy here

Trick or Treat my left foot! They're after my booze!

I catch the little buggers out in the open, while coming across the lawn. They can't maneuver very well, being all weighed down with candies. They drop like flies. Next day I have all the candy I can handle and then some...

RATA TAT TAT TAT....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bcca3bd970d7.jpg[/atsimg]

Concerned?

Nope

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

By that same token we should just be scared and fear for our lives on ANY major holiday. If Halloween is so scary for you, New Years Eve must be a NIGHTMARE.

Yea I guess you are right, stats and reality can take a back seat to fears and paranoia. If it can happen, you should fear it with all your might right?

The point was that I was comparing your unfounded fears about a terrorist attack on Halloween with the unfounded fears that people in Colorado are putting pot candy in trick or treaters' candy bags. In other words they are the same thing.

For instance, if Halloween is such a threat to terrorism, why didn't we see terrorist plots on Halloweens prior to this year? Because of ISIS? HA! That's a joke! Before ISIS it was alqaeda and before them it was other terrorist groups. Stop fearing terrorism! You are just buying into the government propaganda. I posted the statistics about terrorism to help you allay your fears, not ignore them in favor of unfounded paranoia.

Huh? No, New Years is typically not a costumed party with people dressing up as killers or whatever zombie or terrorist or ebola worker, so fail on that one.

And as far as not having terrorist plots for Halloween prior has nothing to do with this one. There was a call to arms by ISIS to attack people at random that some have taken seriously.

Like I said.....this is not a fear of mine, it is a concern. I don't live anywhere near where something like this would occur so I am not "fearful". I am concerned that something like this could happen.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Huh? No, New Years is typically not a costumed party with people dressing up as killers or whatever zombie or terrorist or ebola worker, so fail on that one.

First off, yes people do dress up for New Years eve, and many of the costumes make it hard to tell who it is (what with the glasses that are shaped like the new year that everyone wears and the ridiculous plastic top hats). Second off, there are FAR more people out and about on New Years Eve than on Halloween. Whether they are costumed or not is irrelevant since the sheer number of people creates the anonymity. Third, since there are more people out and about (especially of the drunken variety), then a terrorist could do FAR more damage during New Years Eve than on Halloween. Don't dismiss my parallel just because all the situations don't line up correctly in your head.

This is why I am convinced you are just fearing your imagination. You've created some distorted reality (that Halloween is unsafe this year) and are trying your damnest to prove that point despite all reason and logic saying you are wrong.

And as far as not having terrorist plots for Halloween prior has nothing to do with this one. There was a call to arms by ISIS to attack people at random that some have taken seriously.

OH NO! Not a call to arms to attack people at random! They've only been doing that since their inception. How many people do you know that have met someone from ISIS who attacked them randomly?

Like I said.....this is not a fear of mine, it is a concern. I don't live anywhere near where something like this would occur so I am not "fearful". I am concerned that something like this could happen.

I am saying that your concerns are unfounded and straight up paranoia. Would you care to take a bet with me? I will bet that NO terrorist attacks will happen in the United States during Halloween and you can bet that they will.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

You wanna see tizzy?

The new alert since Wednesday is costing MILLION$ and MILLION$!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I dont know OP, you seems to jump on the doom and gloom and your factuation with ISIS.

ISIS havnt done anything yet(in the west) but you seem to link everything with them.

Its like one of those paranoid people that sees terrorist everywhere.

Hopefully a "brown" looking person doesn't cross your path.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
ha ha, i can see them now all dressed up like Achmed saying "Silence! I Kill you! "

and then all the other little want a be's dressed like joe bidein says""we will follow them to the gates of hell until they are brought to justice.""

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, I know people dress up for New Years, but not quite to the extent they do for Halloween which is a holiday known for costumes....New Years is not. While I appreciate your comparison, I disagree with your assessment and correlation of the two holidays. I don't dismiss your parallel on these, I just happen to believe it a lot more likely for a group that is bent on truly terrorizing citizens up close and personal, not with bombs to kill hundreds at a time, to do this on Halloween. You are more than welcome to disagree.

I am not trying to prove any point, though it seems you are and I am baffled as to why. Reason and logic would actually point to Halloween being a perfect time for an attack such as the ones ISIS carries out. Real blood/fake blood, people dead/dressed up as dead, real killers/people dressed up as killers, real terrorists/people dressed up as real terrorists, fake weapons/real weapons being carried by many, etc....

I have heard the "call to arms" of others before, but to carry out a bombing is a lot harder than to just go hack people up with a machete or hatchet or whatever. ISIS stated :

"If you are not able to find an IED or a bullet, then single out the disbelieving American, Frenchman, or any of their allies. Smash his head with a rock, or slaughter him with a knife, or run him over with your car, or throw him down from a high place, or choke him, or poison him."

And shockingly a couple in Canada and at least 2 in the US decided to go for it.

See....this is how a movement starts. We say it was just a whackbag with no ties to ISIS or whatever group, yet we find their writings and how they followed Islam and blah blah blah. Well that is exactly how these groups operate.....I don't think there is a head of the snake in the case of terror cells for these guys...the nutters seek them out and just do what they think is wanted on their behalf.

It is pretty simple to make the connection for me, though it does not seem simple for you.

Honestly, your opinion really matters very little to me. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing a concern I have over how easily this Halloween could become the next story in the saga with all that has been in the news this week of killings and attempted killings.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
I dont know OP, you seems to jump on the doom and gloom and your factuation with ISIS.

ISIS havnt done anything yet(in the west) but you seem to link everything with them.

Its like one of those paranoid people that sees terrorist everywhere.

Hopefully a "brown" looking person doesn't cross your path.

No "factuation" with ISIS here. Terrorists in general...and yes, Canada happened twice this week and NY was today, but I would guess you are one of those that will just chalk it up to these guys deciding to do what they did outside of their belief in Islam and having literature about terror organizations and whatnot. That is how ISIS works....you think they are going to come out 10,000 strong and march through NYC killing people? No...they will do it how they do it everywhere else, small teams or single individuals killing with extreme violence to shock those around.

No, I am not paranoid and I don't see terrorists anywhere actually.

As far as your "brown" comment, I could care less what color anyone is...plenty of brown, yellow and white people in my neighborhood. I AM happy that you do not live in my neighborhood though. I would hate for a bunch of "naive" mentalities to be around just in case something did happen.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join