It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Times Attempts to Dismiss Conspiracy Theory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
An unimpressive short article: NY Times anti-conspiracy theory propaganda

If you read this you'll see the author is not just referring to conspiracy theory about the Ebola virus. He's trying to say that anything called a "conspiracy theory" automatically deserves to be considered fiction and a product of nothing more than mental angst.

Many conspiracy theorists pride themselves on having inside information, but in the case of Ebola such alleged information, or misinformation — the government is in on it! — can erode the public trust when it’s needed most.

“If these were just opinions that people spouted off on talk radio or at dinner parties, you could argue that there wasn’t much harm,” Professor Broderick said. “But to have the C.D.C. debased in public as a puppet of the New World Order or of major corporations is obviously a dangerous proposition.”

Nonetheless, some scholars find value in conspiracy theories because they allow us to vent and give voice to hidden fears.

--It's that last line that really pisses me off, if I can be allowed to "vent" my own emotions at the moment without officially being called a "conspiracy theorist." It's the attitude that as long as something is branded with the term "conspiracy theory" you can be supposedly be sure it's just a muddled idea that came from the dark and damp mentally ill corners of someone's imagination.

Interesting too that just days after this article ran in the Sunday news a doctor from NYC was diagnosed with Ebola after having come back from West Africa.

edit on -05:00America/Chicago31Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:05 -0500201405312 by Petros312 because: Formatting

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Petros312

The word Conspiracy is just a Theory now. Its been proven…

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

So. . . um. . . . basically, a conspiracy theorist is someone who doeasn't believe what the media is putting out?

This sounds more like a whining session by the MSM than an actually story.

You don't believe the media, ergo, you are nuts.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yea like we are all out here waiting for these party controlled rags to tell us jack sh*t.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Not really new stuff, TPTB trying to discredit people, but still amazing how tenacious these people who try to redefine words are.

Also not to mention but that if the illustrious press, like the NYTimes claims itself to be, were better at investigating and reporting the FACTS in an objective, thorough, and vetted manner, there would be far less of a need for the theorists who see BS all over the media, who are typically spewing it for the corporations/government interests and not ours.

link   
I did not read the article but I do have a thought or two that has been bugging me... People complain about the news and the propaganda being spewed. The FCC controls the licensing of all broad cast networks... You tow our line or your licensing will be pulled... Remember Dan Rather pissed off Bush... No job afterwards...

All six news outlets are owned by 6 companies was the last thing I read.. The smaller the group the easier to control..

I have lost all faith in MSM as a broadcast outlet.. Alex Jones probably does more research than all of them combined and I can't listen to his blow he gets on my nerves...

Drudge seems to be legit because all the political parties seem to complain equally about what he publishes from his sources..

Hard to actually know the truth about anything anymore due to the coverups and blatant lies we are subjected to on a daily basis. The talking heads parrot what the controllers have deemed "O.K." nothing more...

Nothing special about American news... This stuff is done all over the world..

link   
Isn't the official 9/11 story a conspiracy theory though? There's no video of the accused men getting on the airplanes, no DNA evidence, and some of the parts of planes found at the buildings aren't consistent with the planes that slammed into the buildings.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hmmmm......

I'm reminded of the quote:

"We're the government, so you should trust us."

I guess the MSM thinks the same thing:

"We're the news, so you should trust us!"

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: intrptr

Yea like we are all out here waiting for these party controlled rags to tell us jack sh*t.

I don't seen very many people conspiring against them. I don't even know where they broadcast from. I'm sure its gated, armored, guarded, and patrolled regularly, though.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Or! Maybe they're just trying to get back at us for all the things we say about them

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

ya that guy is an idiot...i always hated the word theory anyway...

it should be conspiracy hypothesis...if it gains enough support it should be conspiracy theory....if it becomes true...then you drop the conspiracy theory...

and that is the thing...many theories in conspiracies have become true as the facts roll in

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The news article is incredibly dismissive, and meant to belittle people, no doubt.
that being said, what conspiracy theory has turned out to ever be true, by that i mean one uncovered by the people? we don't have a leg to stand on really. whenever a document is declassified and a conspiracy is reviled to be true 100% of the times, it happened in a different way than what was theorized.
We haven't uncovered any truth behind 9/11, ebola, WMDs jkf, mlk aliens reptilians or whatever, we are passionate, we research, we speculate, but when it's time to bring anything concrete to the table...that table is empty.
And before anyone tosses around names like Julian Assange, let's remember most of the info was given to him by bradley manning ( too lazy to google her new name) and manning was a person with inside information, what they did was important, vital, but it wasn't a case of research, but a case of one person stealing and another publishing.
I am not saying it will never change, but this should be a wake up call to start focusing the efforts, and filter out the BS, but, just keeping it real, this will just generate a bunch of those "we are smarter than those guys" type replies.

edit on 24/10/2014 by IShotMyLastMuse because: copy & paste hates me today

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Here is an old, old conspiracy theory.......news papers serve the political ends and machinations of some among us and are basically not much different than cattle prods to direct the people.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I don't see the connections you are trying to make with this article. I see the article, rightly, points out that people will jump to crazy explanations for things they don't understand because they "sound" true (truthy). The article then, rightly, points out that these ideas do more harm than good because they erode trust. The article isn't, however, saying that conspiracy theories are wrong, just that the crazy ones are just that. Crazy. If this rings home to you, because you believe in something like the NWO, then maybe reevaluate what you consider valid evidence. Because you are believing a crazy idea.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

There are plenty of conspiracies that have been unraveled by the public. Watergate, Iran-Contra, Operation Paperclip, and the prohibition of drugs all come to mind.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

"The NY Times", I'd rather read " The Globe"!

Far less confusion.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Trust. Reading the Bill of Rights its fairly clear that the founders understood government to be to conspirators what a crack house means to a crack head.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
We haven't uncovered any truth behind 9/11, ebola, WMDs jkf, mlk aliens reptilians or whatever, we are passionate, we research, we speculate, but when it's time to bring anything concrete to the table...that table is empty.

Okay, so in order for the table to be filled, what does it need?

MSM recognition??

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

There are plenty of conspiracies that have been unraveled by the public. Watergate, Iran-Contra, Operation Paperclip, and the prohibition of drugs all come to mind.

The public? All these were politically motivated and demonstrate at best their hypocrisy rather than an aid to the people in protecting their rights and the truth. But its a nice mask to hide behind.
edit on 24-10-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I don't think not trusting the MSM makes you a conspiracy theorist however I do understand why conspiracy theorists are mocked even though I am one myself. Conspiracy theorists have been far too indulging of the absurd, and really it's our fault we are perceived the way we are, far too many only seeking confirmation bias rather than truth. Don't give your enemies ammunition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join