It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators condemn classified spy project that *may* involve armed satellites

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The project sounds like a good idea to me. If we have war with communists this century, it could play a critical role. One article mentioned a current 9.5 billion dollar cost though. It seems like a lot of money to spend for something that would only be used in dire circumstances. Maybe they are micro sized and maneuver up to the target and attach magnetically making havoc on the unfriendly object ? Just exploding them would be easier but harder to deny, after the fact. What ? Another of your cheap satellites kicked the bucket ? Muahahaha

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
If it is armed it violates the Outer Space Treaty

Recalling resolution 1884 (XVIII), calling upon States to refrain from placing in orbit around the earth any objects carrying nuclear weapons or any other kinds of weapons of mass destruction or from installing such weapons on celestial bodies, which was adopted unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly on 17 October 1963,
Treaty
That would be very provocative.
Not sure on whether or not a laser would be considered a WMD or not.

If it is astronomically expensive too I think I am having a problem with it.

Yep... the treaty thing seems like the reasons the Dems would object. After all, it would be the ultimate example of blowing off the (imagined?) legal authority of the world. That explains why Rockeffeler sees it as 'dangerous'... it would be a direct violation of treaty.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
FredT has an ATSNN news article that updates this story:

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by npareedChina, Russia and the EU would do anything to get ahead of the U.S. so they can become a superpower.

The USA has just about lost its superpower status, it is kind of like the fall of rome, except america never brought civilisation or knowledge to the places it destroyed.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SiRiNO

Originally posted by npareedChina, Russia and the EU would do anything to get ahead of the U.S. so they can become a superpower.

The USA has just about lost its superpower status, it is kind of like the fall of rome, except america never brought civilisation or knowledge to the places it destroyed.

Wow... the anti-US BS on this board is getting pretty funny. I mean... sometimes I wonder if some of you guys were raised in locked boxes. It's as if no one ever gave the rabid anti-americans here any sort of history lesson at all...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I know, SHEESH. As for such a program, WHY NOT? It's not like these other countries, as mentioned before by another poster, don't indulge in the same types of stuff as best as they can; I am not saying the U.S. shouldactively make spy satellites that are armed or anything, but we should definitely make sure we COULD if the need arose.

The best defense is a good offense, and the best way to keep a state of peace is not necessarily to start putting weapons up into space, but to let the other countries know that we COULD if the need arose.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Here's what the program is:
a spys atellite system called MISTY:
www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
"Misty" as in mis-direction.
(SBIRS, pronounced �sibirs,� stands for Space-Based Infrared System.) The SBIRS-High satellites will replace DSP satellites in geosynchronous orbit.
Is it possible that they are fielding a real-time capability to target all flying objects giving off heat signitures?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join