It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic quantum software is run for the first time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The true economic attraction is scale-ability, which is the holy grail in any technical achievement that can make it to manufacturing.

Presently, computing is lofting it's future on massive parallelism, which it great but has hard limits in hardware, software and complexity. Imagine a system that has unlimited redundancy. A system where a logic unit can have more than one state at a time.... entanglement that can be recalled in sequences....

The lines between hardware and software dissolve, and it becomes in effect, a time machine that computes.

Think of the possibilities.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

originally posted by: oblvion
a reply to: Maxmars

Our comps at present use 1's and 0's, this language is known as binary.

Quantum computers would have 0's 1's and 2's, because quantum bodies can only be measured in 3 ways, direction, spin and charge.

Sorry to say that this explanation is not correct. qbits are less than binary due to quantum supposition and thus potentially faster. Your explanation of having three states would actually be slower than binary….

Just sayin.

To dovetail on this, and as charlyv is eluding to above, as I understand it from cursory reading about quantum computing (I am by no means an expert so not implying that, but very interested in the subject) the real power comes from the ability to hold a value of 0, 1, and both simultaneously.
edit on 25-10-2014 by AeternusLux because: Clarify thread reference.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AeternusLux

the real power comes from the ability to hold a value of 0, 1, and both simultaneously.

yes, and then, similar to your own familiar decision processes, each quantum gate is left open in its superposition while the total algorithm moves forward to explore the possibilities that lie beyond it.

it is very much the same way that you or I decide what to wear while standing in front of the closet. first choose a shirt... then peruse the available pants and shoes... each category of clothing (quantum gate) is left in a state of uncertainty until we arrive at what we believe will be the best total outfit. and then, all at once the overlapping wavefunctions collapse downward and we pick the clothing items off the rack and onto the bed to get dressed.

this type of decision algorithm is simply not possible with solid state computing. but as you can see, a quantum algorithm is capable of making very powerful and complex decisions with ease... dependent solely upon the number of qubits available.

very very cool next-level stuff.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I wonder if it can generate bitcoins lightning fast. That would be a real world application

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tedpi

In one pass.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

Prime number calculation is one of the first example of algorithm you come across when you learn about recursive algorithms.
You hardly can code a prime number calculation in classic computer programming without considering recursivity. I wonder if this was relevant for their choice of experimentation or not.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Sounds like you are describing the technological singularity

Splice biology with technology and upload Humanity to an individualized digital Nirvana.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
AstroEngineers blog and story "Curiosity of Spirit" stands out in my mind and really makes me think we've been practically using this technology for at least a decade. For those who have not read it, it basically asserts that quantum computing was imbedded in NASA's Mars rovers. Pictures from the red planet arrive instantaneously from Mars to Earth via quantum computing lab at JPL, compliments of DARPA.
Cool stuff.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Undertaker
AstroEngineers blog and story "Curiosity of Spirit" stands out in my mind and really makes me think we've been practically using this technology for at least a decade. For those who have not read it, it basically asserts that quantum computing was imbedded in NASA's Mars rovers. Pictures from the red planet arrive instantaneously from Mars to Earth via quantum computing lab at JPL, compliments of DARPA.
Cool stuff.

Fascinating story, but how would you entangle two or more "quantum communication devices" I'd guess you would have to keep them chilled close to absolute zero at all times, shielded from all sorts of interference, and resynchronised frequently using laser light or very long wave radio.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

But in your example of the clothes, if you pointed 10 people at your wardrobe, each might have a different answer depending on personality.

1 might want to noticed so go for bright colors.

1 might want to be comfy

1 might want to go unnoticed so pick greyer colours.

1 might pick all the named items.

What if the quantum couldn't make a decision ever?!

Obviously that would only happen if it's learning made it female!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tedpi
I wonder if it can generate bitcoins lightning fast. That would be a real world application

Great observation. The answer would be that the first time it ran successfully in a quantum engine, every possible bitcoin would be instantly discovered, and the number would be infinite. Hard to wrap your head around that.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

-and should be of concern given that none of Nakamoto, Dai or Szabo actually seem to exist outside of their online presence and creations on the "internet".

No pics, no addressees, no patents, no jobs, no scandals, no wider business interests- just the testimony of Hal Finney (RIP) that he met one of them.

I understand cryptographers are good at hiding but these guys keep an almost AI type presence - copious digital output but no physical presence.

edit on 26-10-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

By itself, not this event. But when someone actually puts together an operating QM computer and makes sure it works. This will be a historic event?

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars

originally posted by: LABTECH767

This is essential research, now I am going into the twilight zone for a moment with a supposition here?,.
There is a theory that the brain is a quantum mechanism and that perhaps consciousness exists in multiple reality's at once therefore spanning multiple brain's - the same brain multiplied in parallel creating a kind of holographic consciousness if you like, well this research however primitive may one day unlock the potential to create artificial brains (not just computational devices or simulations) capable of TRULY integrating with and even hosting that quantum consciousness of self awareness and not just cybernetic implant's.

Interesting..., I think you have successfully articulated a similar statement, here:

Instead of each individual Mind being separate from all others, each Mind is a fragment or facet of a single overarching MIND. Each individual Mind is that aspect of MIND that is responsible for perceiving the state of the associated individual physical brain. Concentration of perception on a particular version of the wave function by one individual Mind is then presumed to set the concentration of perception on that same version by the overarching MIND. And that in turn sets the perception of the same version by all the other individual Minds. Neither the MIND nor the individual Minds alter the wave function in any way.

Now mind you, (pardon the pun) these projections into the thought experiment that is quantum theory do not create a reality for us to ponder; nor a 'religion' to engender... but instead it offers an opportunity to understand the exact "how" of our perception limits and defines our understanding of reality thus far.

Yes like a feedback of awareness, percieved reality and projected reality merging, this does not answer but the whole point of asking the question is not to answer but to see what other questions must be asked, we are creature's of time so each moment a new question must be asked, only by seeing the universe from outside it and being larger and more complex than it could you ever hope to truly percieve it but if we just understand or at least construct workable hypothesis on the small structures at least we can postulate what overlay's them so some greater degree.

Odd I have only just read your reply to my post and today I was thinking about gestalt entitys, I know a hypothetical structure but interesting nevertheless and while not related to this there is a certain resonance to the question's, are we a kind of quantum gestalt of our own multi reality self and is our reality in essence a multiple reality we perceive as a single reality, what is the true nature of our dimension of existance given we only hypothesize at the number of dimensions we exist in so far without counting the parallel theory into that analysis.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The first quantum computing systems will probably start out proving mathematical theories and equations.
Actual proof is usually harder than the discovery of the equation, because of the iterations required to get a 6 sigma result.

So, Recursive algorithms will be the first to benefit ( or be destroyed, depending upon your viewpoint).

Fermatt's enigma
Prime Numbers
Value of Pi

are just some of the infinite series that will be attempted to prove that the quantum engine works, and as a byproduct, we will be testing the results against what we think we know about the universe. I will be willing to bet that there will be a lot of surprises!
edit on 27-10-2014 by charlyv because: spelling

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone

-and should be of concern given that none of Nakamoto, Dai or Szabo actually seem to exist outside of their online presence and creations on the "internet".

No pics, no addressees, no patents, no jobs, no scandals, no wider business interests- just the testimony of Hal Finney (RIP) that he met one of them.

You sent me down a crazy rabbit hole with this post.
Outside of the Asian man that was pestered as the creator of Bitcoin I had no idea there was a whole "whodunnit" in Bitcoin. Some even thinking that many of the names are either the same person or other conspiracies like it.

I'll definitely be using my google-fu to look more deeply in to this. Not expecting a result but I'm sure it'll keep me busy awhile.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Dai doesn't even have a wiki entry.

Just sayin...

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
ooops wrong thread
edit on 27-10-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
ooops wrong thread

yay I see a post from zazz again... oh .. wait..
a blonde post yeh?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: okamitengu

That's too funny!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join