It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historic quantum software is run for the first time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Ya but we all know the Gov will be the first to exploit this new found computing power...

You think we have no privacy now? This ain't nothin

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Ya but we all know the Gov will be the first to exploit this new found computing power...

Right sentence - wrong tense.

What this represents is quantum computing for the masses so to speak...
edit on 10/24/2014 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: okamitengu

Faster doesn't mean smarter

Manny this is really interesting news! Thanks so much for the posting.

It's not just that a quantum computer can treat numbers (or complex algorithms) and produce useful data more quickly... but think also of the power to manipulate enormously complex interlocking arrays of 'wave functions'...

The nature of the change is akin to telling today's scientists that there is no such thing as "particle" matter - all that was just a convenient way to model the universe based upon our physical limitations... instead the universe is an ever moving river of waveforms (which define reality in THREE states; "yes", "no", or "both") where the interaction between waveforms is a matter of perception.

Here is Halloween creepy... we successfully mimic a human mind in a computer.... upon the realization that this mind exists...from that moment forward... is that mind not in Hell?

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
At least it will now be possible to show that Qcomputers are actually able to do something.The company "DWave" build them but had some difficulties demonstrating their power.

We still have some keenly difficult problems, from what I have read, in the fact that right now, each quantum computing device will have to custom "made" so to speak. It must have something to do with the material sciences end of the technology. It must be hard to manufacture a machine that can perform exactly as you wish it to... I think they still have a 1% error rate... sound like a little... but it really needs to evaporate.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
a reply to: Maxmars

I'm going to be following this thread with *great* interest.

If we're lucky, we all may be surprised at what can be learned here.

Thanks Maxmars.

You're too kind.

I do believe that any time a society can (at this point in theory) increase it's ability to deal with information by an order of magnitude; it's kind of a big deal.

However, we must remember it is not really about the technology, but how it is used. Which usually boils down to who gets to use it. In that regard developments like these are usually not really "new" ... someone usually can claim to have been working on this all along.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: aussiefly
In before they start factoring the primes of large integers and breaking 2048bit encryption....or maybe they already are

It's hard to say, there are many frameworks that could be tested with encryption tasks. But they were engineered to use absolute values (generally speaking) and the limitation means we have to translate our most complex mathematical tasks into those absolutes. Quantum computers introduce a third state (it has to do with fermions and bosons; but I don't pretend to understand it.) That third state adds a new dimension of computation... a quantum leap so to speak.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
How about solve for pi and find any information that might be stored there

That's where I'd start

It may yet come that we find the nature of such constants as ratio's (and those peculiar ideas about Fibonacci sequences, Golden ratio, etc,) have some basis in a way we never thought of before... but I doubt that's foremost on anyone's mind.... this was just a great opportunity to expand quantum technology forward...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Now I have to watch that movie again.... ugh... LOL

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke
Why don't they try to 'square the circle' instead ...
That could give a new understanding on maths.

There are numerous approaches to mystify the universe, and there a numerous approaches to model it. This, interestingly, provides a 'third way,' one devoid of the preconceptions about the "order" of reality. It kind of comes with the turf of "yes," "no," and "both."

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Ok, dont mean to be devils advocate here but here goes anyways. Quantum computing has been here for a WHILE. You can literally BUY quantum computers now. www.dwavesys.com... Second of all, ALL ENCRYPTION IS USELESS NOW. Why do you think truecrypt closed shop? You dont even NEED quantum computers to destroy encryption anymore. There's literally dozens of ways to get keys out of the ram without even being physically present to the device. For instance, they can point a light beam in your window from a satellite and capture every single bit of data on every device in your home. I'm not kidding. This is real. Screw hiding. The game was over before you thought you were even playing. I already said too much. Enjoy your new liberty.
edit on 24-10-2014 by evilmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars

It's a good movie... enjoyed it more than the book...

Korg.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars

save your trouble and read carls book

i dislike that chick in the movie...immensely

but the book occupies a place in my very limited space (read van)
edit on pm1020143108America/ChicagoFri, 24 Oct 2014 20:45:55 -0500_10000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

This is essential research, now I am going into the twilight zone for a moment with a supposition here?,.
There is a theory that the brain is a quantum mechanism and that perhaps consciousness exists in multiple reality's at once therefore spanning multiple brain's - the same brain multiplied in parallel creating a kind of holographic consciousness if you like, well this research however primitive may one day unlock the potential to create artificial brains (not just computational devices or simulations) capable of TRULY integrating with and even hosting that quantum consciousness of self awareness and not just cybernetic implant's.

Interesting..., I think you have successfully articulated a similar statement, here:

Instead of each individual Mind being separate from all others, each Mind is a fragment or facet of a single overarching MIND. Each individual Mind is that aspect of MIND that is responsible for perceiving the state of the associated individual physical brain. Concentration of perception on a particular version of the wave function by one individual Mind is then presumed to set the concentration of perception on that same version by the overarching MIND. And that in turn sets the perception of the same version by all the other individual Minds. Neither the MIND nor the individual Minds alter the wave function in any way.

Now mind you, (pardon the pun) these projections into the thought experiment that is quantum theory do not create a reality for us to ponder; nor a 'religion' to engender... but instead it offers an opportunity to understand the exact "how" of our perception limits and defines our understanding of reality thus far.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Actually, I was thinking... we often consider the limits to which we can push binary machines to give us the utility we expect. We forget that no matter the program, system, or application... digital means binary.

That alone offers intriguing questions; no long ago, hardware and material scientist engineers were dabbling in "half-state" memory storage as a means to extend the capacity of their products. But of course, what came out of that I can't really say.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Nice...

I can hear the discussion now -
Pong has never looked so good - boop

Yeah..., if by "Pong" you mean a game where the same thing bounces around back and forth forever... I guess so...

I was never that crazy about the math....

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

I would think that the first real "consumers" of this technology will not necessarily be the military... I think it would be the captains of industry and royal families, and holders of the common trust... namely... banks. Imagine them being unable to be fooled by any given transaction - ever.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

I am wondering whether recognizing this as an "historic" event will be difficult for some.

That's an understatement.

I've read about molecular processing and that nearly melted my brain...

Yup, it sort of boggles the mind that we exist as sentient (self-aware) creatures and still might have no firm grasp on the mechanics of the universe beyond what our empirical science can tell us. I have to wonder if this may all be part of a programmatic construct within the universe, or is the construct actually part of the universe itself... Man... this goes well and beyond the technical miracle of modern quantum computer design... sorry folks... running short on answers...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidAmerican

I hope we can handle what could be coming if this becomes part of the future.

Such advances may be the harbinger of a time when computing devices design computers... SKYNET indeed.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

You think we have no privacy now? This ain't nothin

I agree with Riffrater below... it is likely that many defense-contracted research into material sciences and next-generation technology has already been under investigation. Likely, but not necessarily. The problem with institutional research is that is rarely encompasses anything outside applications for ensuring their own continuity.

But as the research is ongoing outside the government, we may eventually benefit from it. Again, depending on who is using it.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: evilmonkey

Ok, dont mean to be devils advocate here but here goes anyways. Quantum computing has been here for a WHILE. You can literally BUY quantum computers now. www.dwavesys.com... Second of all, ALL ENCRYPTION IS USELESS NOW. Why do you think truecrypt closed shop? You dont even NEED quantum computers to destroy encryption anymore. There's literally dozens of ways to get keys out of the ram without even being physically present to the device. For instance, they can point a light beam in your window from a satellite and capture every single bit of data on every device in your home. I'm not kidding. This is real. Screw hiding. The game was over before you thought you were even playing. I already said too much. Enjoy your new liberty.

There is no doubt that quantum computing has been a subject of serious research and development, and each quantum device is unique unto itself, so unlike the generalized "access" devices we use, the existing devices are really only useful to a point... the trick is the algorithm which is run on the device... that as of yet is largely undiscovered country.

Cryptography, as it has commonly been applied in our world, was always known to be a temporary (dead-end) as long as it is based upon the confines of hardware which is standardized...

The technical capabilities of devices and platforms we are unaware of may be so powerful as you suggest... or they may not be. I can't say it without speculating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join