It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Preparing to Foreclose on 142,000 (One Fifth) Residents By 2016

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
The taxpayer cannot bid on their own property, as far as I know. The source in the OP may be referring to the right to "redeem" the property within a certain period of time after the sale---by repaying the winning bid amount plus a penalty. The specifics vary by state.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Spruce
a reply to: jude11

It's not about race. It's about politics and bad policy in a depressed economy. No one should lose their home for failing to pay property taxes. The issue should be dealt with on a case by case basis.

This sounds like a tax revolt.

By the way are not property taxes taken out of the mortgage payment every month? I ask who would let a paid for home go on the block for taxes anyway? This is all very strange.

Well, some people are, very legitimately, poor. They live where the economy is depressed because the housing is cheaper.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

So, if you cannot afford to pay your taxes....you should just be forgiven?????? I don't think so

To be clear, if you have a mortgage...your taxes are often part of your house note.
So, we're talking people who are living in houses with no mortgage....and no house payment?
As in rent free?
And they don't pay their taxes?

Sorry, no sympathy. I'd like to not pay my taxes too.

And it may be different in Detroit....but where we live, if you don't pay your taxes on time....the city gets the money from the county...
You then owe the county and they are the ones to foreclose.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Regarding your question about who pays taxes after foreclosure... In my state, after the tax lien suit enters judgment, if the property isn't sold at auction, it is struck off to the taxing unit (usually the county), so the county would own it until they resell it. The taxing unit cannot simultaneously own the property and hold a tax lien on the same property, so any post judgment taxes that are accrued during that time are usually included in the minimum bid at the resale, to be paid by the winning bidder.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
What's the motivation???????

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
142,000 homes, just think how much money (interest) could be made by the banks if those homes are remodeled and flipped to average home buyers.

OTOH just think how much tax money will be spent on caring for the homeless after a 142,000 homes are foreclosed on.

As for property taxes what a scam; why should your taxes go up with market value, when you buy a property your taxes should be based on what you paid. I watched several town's that were a part of the fishing industry where homes were cheap until they area got tourism. Then prices and of course taxes sky rocketed, which taxed a lot of retired folks right out of their homes (Anacortes WA for one), it was a very sad situation!
edit on 24-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Added (interest) / corrected grammar

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What it sounds like to me is that they are trying to get rid of the poor so they can
rebuild Detroit. Knock down all the dilapidated houses/buildings, build newer,
nicer housing and encourage new residents, businesses and stores.
Out with the old, in with the new. And get that cash flowing in Detroit.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: virraszto
What it sounds like to me is that they are trying to get rid of the poor so they can
rebuild Detroit. Knock down all the dilapidated houses/buildings, build newer,
nicer housing and encourage new residents, businesses and stores.
Out with the old, in with the new. And get that cash flowing in Detroit.

Actually, there are hundreds of houses just sitting, boarded up and vacant. Not very constructive when people could be living in them.
edit on 10/24/2014 by Spruce because: PUNCtuation

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

This year in Detroit, there have been 22,000 foreclosures on properties whose owners failed to pay property taxes three years in a row.

This is why I support the abolition of property taxes.

The majority thinks the bankers own their homes. They don't.

The fact is the 'cities' do.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
^TRUTH.

Now of course if you were large enough/rich enough, you could tell the local gov't what you'll pay.

Case in point, Cabela's in Hamburg PA had 10 years of no property taxes and then once the 10 years passed (just did) they "agreed" to pay the the "fair" tax at that time. Well, they sorta changed their mind and threatened to close the store if Hamburg didn't adjust the #s. IIRC Cabela's said they'd pay no more than half... and that is what Hamburg PA accepted!

Derek

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

This year in Detroit, there have been 22,000 foreclosures on properties whose owners failed to pay property taxes three years in a row.

This is why I support the abolition of property taxes.

The majority thinks the bankers own their homes. They don't.

The fact is the 'cities' do.

Not just the cities.

If you lived out in the sticks, the county, state/province will gladly enforce the taxes.

Peace

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

So, if you cannot afford to pay your taxes....you should just be forgiven?????? I don't think so

To be clear, if you have a mortgage...your taxes are often part of your house note.
So, we're talking people who are living in houses with no mortgage....and no house payment?
As in rent free?
And they don't pay their taxes?

Sorry, no sympathy. I'd like to not pay my taxes too.

And it may be different in Detroit....but where we live, if you don't pay your taxes on time....the city gets the money from the county...
You then owe the county and they are the ones to foreclose.

From what I gather the majority are paid and clear from banks but now have to deal with property tax.

The issue is NOT whether the taxes are owed but if the taxes are just. They are not.

I pay the bank but now have to pay rent on my owned/fully paid house.

Not right sir.

Peace

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

My property tax for 2013 was $790. That is a significant amount of money IMO, but I made sacrifices and paid it. Where's my pity party?

You will find no pity here, only contempt, if you think $790 a year for property taxes is a significant amount of money. You can't rent a 1 bedroom apartment in my area for less than 875 a month. 790 a year averages out to about 65 dollars a month. If you own your own house yet find 65 bucks a month a lot of money, you have problems, and it ain't the tax system, either.

Oh, wait... I'm white, so nobody cares.

You being white is not the reason no body cares. It's you whining about something that petty.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

originally posted by: Lipton

My property tax for 2013 was $790. That is a significant amount of money IMO, but I made sacrifices and paid it. Where's my pity party?

You will find no pity here, only contempt, if you think $790 a year for property taxes is a significant amount of money. You can't rent a 1 bedroom apartment in my area for less than 875 a month. 790 a year averages out to about 65 dollars a month. If you own your own house yet find 65 bucks a month a lot of money, you have problems, and it ain't the tax system, either.

Oh, wait... I'm white, so nobody cares.

"Your area"

NOT their area. Got jobs in "Your Area?" They Don't.

So...No job= $65 per Month buys food.

But it still remains...why should we pay rent on a house we own?

Peace
You being white is not the reason no body cares. It's you whining about something that petty.
edit on 24-10-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

So then logically you hold the citizens of Detroit that didn't pay their taxes in even greater contempt...but I doubt you will. It's easier to play the mean ol' racism card.

My house wasn't habitable (120 years old, dilapidated on the inside, but solid brick and a newer roof made it worth it to me). I bought it (paid cash) last August and the taxes were due in October. Between paying for the property and lots of building materials just to not have to shower with a garden hose and use an extension cord for everything adds up pretty quickly.

I sistered 54 2x12x16' new floor joists on the first floor within the first couple weeks just to quell my fears of going through the floor due to significant damage from years of leaking sinks, HVAC and plumber hack jobs and joists that had cracked/shattered due to being undersized/overloaded (it was framed with 2x10x16's.

I'm unsure if you've ever done more to a home than hang a picture, but I was on a framing crew for several years, so trust me when I say materials add up pretty fast.

BTW I considered it overvalued and you know what, the adjuster agreed when they came and did a reevaluation. But they still held me responsible for the amount billed for the fiscal year. So yea, between all of that that $790 came at a pretty inopportune time.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Who would've thought 25 years ago that Robocop would be the movie that most accurately predicted the future?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join