It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatchet-wielding man shot dead by NYPD cops in Queens; police eye possible terrorism motive

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

A man attacked a group of NYPD cops with a hatchet. One officer was critically injured. A woman nearby was shot by accident.

Police suspect terrorism as the motive.

These lone wolf attacks are getting scary.

(please forgive me if this was previously posted - did not find it when searching

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

This is horrible. Times like this I don't wonder why cops shoot first.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
NYPD Officer attacked by ax-wielding man in Queens
www.youtube.com...

One day I'll edumacate myself to embed a video...
edit on 10/23/2014 by TerrorAlertRed because: must be filled out

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TerrorAlertRed

There you go!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Shooting first should NEVER be an option, there is too much of a chance of this happening:

A 29-year-old female bystander was also struck by a bullet and underwent surgery at Jamaica Hospital

I've yet to see how many shots were fired but I can imagine if the standard 20+ rounds were squeezed off there would be more than 1 innocent injured.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Can we stop using the word terrorist to describe every mentally ill person trying to harm someone.

[sarcasm
I didn't know the terrorists had been reduced to hatchets. If the only terrorists that we have in the US are wielding hatchets then we should be able to officially rule the war on terror a success and bring our troops home. [End sarcasm

On a more serious note. This is a sad day, again the police go to far.

edit on 23-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I have to ask: How can the police suspect terrorism as a motive?

Was he yelling something about a political movement or religious belief?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

Shooting first should NEVER be an option, there is too much of a chance of this happening:

A 29-year-old female bystander was also struck by a bullet and underwent surgery at Jamaica Hospital

I've yet to see how many shots were fired but I can imagine if the standard 20+ rounds were squeezed off there would be more than 1 innocent injured.

Maybe buddy... but If i see someone coming at me in public with a hatchet. Im shooting first.
If that makes me a bad guy. So be it.

link   
a reply to: sacgamer25

Terrorism was the word in the headline and article, and used by law enforcement.

Not my word.

ISIS put out a call for lone wolf attacks on military and law enforcement, so it sounds like a logical concern.

link   
Here's a photo from the Daily News article. The dead attacker is wearing the green jacket. I wonder why there has not been an identification on him yet? Why are they blurring his face?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeultra
Here's a photo from the Daily News article. The dead attacker is wearing the green jacket. I wonder why there has not been an identification on him yet? Why are they blurring his face?

They are blurring the head probably because his head is not still completely intact.

You know...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I wasn't commenting about you, but seriously even if this guy was heading the call of ISIS, I think mentally unstable makes much more since here than terrorist. Were talking about a hatchet.

Sounds more like the police are using the word terrorist to cover their butts. Again excessive force.
edit on 23-10-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

I don't recall seeing his name in the original article.
Maybe they've not notified immediate family yet.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Their tactics seem to have changed from aiming for a BIG incident to these small attacks in many places. While the alphabet agencies are looking for a group planning some massive attacks, they are fostering these lone idiots with social media accounts. Lots of small brush-fires in lots of places.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25

I wasn't commenting about you, but seriously even if this guy was heading the call of ISIS, I think mentally unstable makes much more since here than terrorist. Were talking about a hatchet.

Sounds more like the police are using the word terrorist to cover their butts. Again excessive force.

I'm all for holding police accountable for brutality.......but this dude hit two cops with a hatchet! How is their response excessive?

Were they supposed to throw parking tickets at him?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Their tactics seem to have changed from aiming for a BIG incident to these small attacks in many places. While the alphabet agencies are looking for a group planning some massive attacks, they are fostering these lone idiots with social media accounts. Lots of small brush-fires in lots of places.

Who's tactics have changed?

How do you know whom this man is connected with and what their plan is?

Are we jumping the gun here?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

These kind of attacks could accomplish some ISIS goals:

Cause fear. These random acts are unpredictable and will cause law enforcement to constantly watch their backs.

Bring out the radicals who want to make their mark (or are otherwise unstable) and use them as tools to do something that does not take expertise, special equipment or training.

Use those already in the countries of their enemies without needing to infiltrate from their home countries.

Distract - this is the concerning part. What if they are going to use the chaos resulting from these attacks so that law enforcement is not looking for the big attacks.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i am not condoning this act of violence by this crazy man with an axe....but there has been alot of talk lately about people just snapping because they have had enough of the heavy handed tactics of the police in the last few years...is it possible that this is one of those type attacks....?

this is not a good situation and will further reduce citizens rights ...they are already branding it a terrorist attack....some of the comments from people in that article were a little scary,comparing to the attack on Canadian parliament and ISIS

the police are twitchy enough as it is without some loon attacking them in the street in broad daylight in the middle of the day in a clearly busy shopping area...

this world we live in is getting sicker and sicker by the day

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ArmyOfNobunaga
Don't misunderstand me, I am with you completely, you must always look out for #1 right.

Just saying, the way we've been seeing Police shoot lately, they don't seem to even consider what's behind what they're shooting at, not to mention most can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn.

Emptying a 15+ round clip as fast as you can almost guarantees you will have no ammo to protect yourself from the fast approaching target you most likely just missed.

Anyway, on topic:
It's probably safe to say we will most likely be seeing an increase of this type of thing. Sadly.
The worst part is it's mostly going to be guerrilla style attacks which is going to be the hardest to combat.

I'm sure they're writing up Canada's Patriot Act as I type and I'm sure New York will be cracking down now too.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

You're right, no name on the psycho yet, but they did name his friend. Maybe those Facebook people here can investigate through this guy's name and figure out the I.D. of the attacker.

But police sources said detectives have located what is believed to be the suspect's Facebook page; on it is a record of a digital chat he had with a friend during which they discussed terrorism in general. The sources said terrorism has not been ruled out as a motive. The friend told The News in an interview that they discussed terrorism in broad terms and that they both denounced it. “He never expressed, to me, that I could recall, that he would do anything violent,"Frank Sha Francois, 49, told The News. "Yes he said there were things that needed to be done, non-violent, collective action.” “We spoke against all aspects of any type of terrorism — foreign terrorism, domestic terrorism, terrorism committed by groups and by governments; any act of violence where innocent lives were spilled. We spoke against that."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join