It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Preparing to Foreclose on 142,000 Residents By 2016

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Looks like Detroit is getting ready to step up the foreclosures on properties with delinquent tax payments.

Sounds like a larger than normal number of property behind.

The story says many are actually occupied and not necessarily "abandoned".

Things are getting worse before getting "better"?

Story and many links....

Have you ever considered the legitimacy of property taxes? It’s one thing for the government to take a cut from your income, but there’s something deeply offensive about the idea of property taxes. It’s the idea that you have to pay your local government, year after year for the rest of your life, for something you’ve already paid in full. It’s complete nonsense.

It calls into question whether you even own your property in the first place. After all, do you really own it if you have to keep paying for it? It seems to closely resemble the medieval system of serfdom. The peasants didn’t own the land they worked on. They had to pay a yearly fee for the right to work that land, which went towards the nobles and knights. It was protection money. So at least they had the benefit of protection from the warrior class in those societies. Can you say the same of your local police?

Who Really Owns Your Home?: Detroit Preparing to Foreclose on 142,000 Residents By 2016

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I sense riots are imminent in Detroit.... the likes we haven't seen since their last sports championship..

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Two words

Agenda twenty-one

detroit is scheduled to be destroyed and rebuilt as a green city

I'll post links when I can

here is a quick one

theatheistconservative.com...

edit on pm1020143106America/ChicagoThu, 23 Oct 2014 18:37:35 -0500_10000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I surprised Detroit has 142,000 buildings still standing?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A quick history on property taxes.

History[edit]

Property taxes in the United States originated during colonial times.[60] By 1796, state and local governments in fourteen of the fifteen states taxed land, but only four taxed inventory (stock in trade). Delaware did not tax property, but rather the income from it. In some states, "all property, with a few exceptions, was taxed; in others, specific objects were named. Land was taxed in one state according to quantity, in another according to quality, and in a third not at all. Responsibility for the assessment and collection of taxes in some cases attached to the state itself; in others, to the counties or townships." Vermont and North Carolina taxed land based on quantity, while New York and Rhode Island taxed land based on value. Connecticut taxed land based on type of use. Procedures varied widely.[61]

During the period from 1796 until the Civil War, a unifying principle developed: "the taxation of all property, movable and immovable, visible and invisible, or real and personal, as we say in America, at one uniform rate."[62] During this period, property taxes came to be assessed based on value. This was introduced as a requirement in many state constitutions.

After the Civil War, intangible property, including corporate stock, took on far greater importance. Taxing jurisdictions found it difficult to find and tax this sort of property. This trend led to the introduction of alternatives to the property tax (such as income and sales taxes) at the state level.[16] Property taxes remained a major source of government revenue below the state level.

Hard times during the Great Depression led to high delinquency rates and reduced property tax revenues.[63] Also during the 1900s, many jurisdictions began exempting certain property from taxes. Many jurisdictions exempted homes of war veterans. After World War II, some states replaced exemptions with "circuit breaker" provisions limiting increases in value for residences.

Various economic factors have led to taxpayer initiatives in various states to limit property tax. California Proposition 13 (1978) amended the California Constitution to limit aggregate property taxes to 1% of the "full cash value of such property." It also limited the increase in assessed value of real property to an inflation factor that was limited to 2% per year.

en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently, it's been going on for quite some time.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

That article is full of it, who do they thinks pay for trash pickup and where I live a street sweeper. Also keeping the roads from being dirt. I think my taxes also pay for schools, but I never had kids so I really don't pay attention to that.
edit on 10/23/2014 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerrorAlertRed
I surprised Detroit has 142,000 buildings still standing?

With a city the size of 600 square miles you betcha there is some buildings left to burn, not to worry devils night is around the corner.:-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

It calls into question whether you even own your property in the first place. After all, do you really own it if you have to keep paying for it? It seems to closely resemble the medieval system of serfdom

Yep and especially when they tax vacant rural lots a ton of money when there are no services included at all.

Great thread and S&F

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga

I sense riots are imminent in Detroit.... the likes we haven't seen since their last sports championship..

You should have seen the Riots in the 60's it was a mess.
Linky poo to peruse.......
www.youtube.com...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
Two words

Agenda twenty-one

detroit is scheduled to be destroyed and rebuilt as a green city

I'll post links when I can

here is a quick one

theatheistconservative.com...

A conspiracy worth pursuing !!

Good point.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Just google agenda 21 detroit. Lots o links

one of my fave is th 150 acre forest in the middle of Detroit

Lots more info to be found

reply to: xuenchen

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

Awesome man... thanks for link

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Detroit is the poster child of democrat/liberal leadership.

Those on the left wish to see what their uptopia would resemble? Look no further than Detroit.
edit on 10 23 2014 by caterpillage because: Steve jobs sucked

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

So you have any ideas what should be done with Detroit? Just curious. It's not a dying city, but a dead city. A ghost town, almost. What do you think should be done?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Im smart enough to know that I have no offing clue. Ive worked there at times... its a dump and dead. I have no idea how one could turn it around... or even if it should turn around. I just don't know.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
142,000 homes means an army of over half a million people at 4 persons per dwelling average....=/-
Arm these guys and we could change the present government in a trice.....
Ahh gone are the days when the locals met the redcoat army with steel and fire.......
What happened to you America?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

It may be too late for Detroit. But a start would be a focus on a corrupted city government. Yeah I know that is easier said than done but that's where it's at.

It took a long time of bad policy, both city wide and on a national level to kill Detroit. It won't be fixed overnight.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Why should I pay for any of the things you mentioned

You all got together and decided I should chip in

How come I never got a chance to say NO... Not interested
build the roads out of your pay check
Schools- again use your money
that light at the end of the street- you pay for
Police department- same deal ( I think a volunteer police department like a neighborhood watch or militia is a good idea)
Fire department- same deal (but let me know what the volunteers need I will go dig it up if I have to)

Taxes are only legalized theft

I had no say in it being the law
It is the very basis of what the American revolution was over

Taxation with out representation

I say we have a required law that every tax and tax rate gets set by the voters
with a 90% of the residents having to approve it
(not voting members but 90%- so if you cant convince a 14 year it does not pass- if 75% vote auto failure)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
In bad parts of Detroit no one wants because of the crime will have to be cleared.

Over the years the city has been raising taxes to the point even the criminals can not pay them.

now all the city has to do is foreclose and level the property.

once there are blocks of vacant land the city can sell it for apartments or factories.

or they can leave it as buffer zones(no mans land) around the better parts of town.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Perhaps the remaining residents could bond together to form "a community", recognizing that their once affluent and thriving city has died. There are small communities all over the country who do just fine. They own little shops, have two or three schools, a few grocery stores. You know the town. We've all been in them, or passed them on our way to some other place. Flowering trees grow in the medians. Those towns.

The remaining part I supposed should be razed, to prevent rodent and insect infestation. Unless, of course, someone steps up and wants to renovate them.

Of course I don't know, but I don't see anyone rushing in to save the city, and I don't see that happening. I'm not sure, but somehow those automobile industries who packed up and left it for dead, somehow owe them something. I think.

At least someone to come in and help them to organize on a much smaller scale. They can't rebuild their city, but they can start over again organizing a nice place to live.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join