It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrageous Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

"All hail to Caligula's horse

Bush's new head of homeland security is perfect for the job

Sidney Blumenthal
Thursday December 9, 2004
The Guardian

In the legend of the war on terrorism, Bernard Kerik, with his trademark shaven head, bristling moustache and black belt in karate, occupies a special place as rough and ready hero. Having risen from military policeman to narcotics detective to New York City police commissioner, he finds himself on 9/11 shoulder to shoulder with Mayor Rudy Giuliani. As the towers crumble the mayor confides in his buddy: "Bernie, thank God George Bush is president."

www.guardian.co.uk...

I thought there was some "truth in reporting" law in the UK. This is an outrageous attack on the Bush, Guliani, and Bernie. Shame on you.

mod edit: indicated quoted section of post

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   

horacid
I thought there was some "truth in reporting" law in the UK

Where was the untruth in the article?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

horacid

The "speculation" that money was stolen is a good example. Please provide some proof.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A lot of it holds up.

Perhaps someone has the time to look into this allegation:

One million dollars in taxpayers' money used to buy tobacco for inmates disappeared into a private foundation run by Kerik without any accounting

There should be a number of news stories in New York that would confirm this (the existence of a private foundation and that there was some question about taxpayer money buying tobacco for inmantes.)

Is somebody up to the research? I'm still in the middle of finals.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by Nygdan

horacid

The "speculation" that money was stolen is a good example. Please provide some proof.

Our own Daily News, and Newsday, reporting from New York. And no, it's not coming form the UK. Leave the UK alone, plz.

From all that reading, and many others, appears that the nomination is exceptionally bad for the American people -- just as anything else that Bush does.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

The article speculates on nothing. It states:

One million dollars in taxpayers' money used to buy tobacco for inmates disappeared into a private foundation run by Kerik without any accounting.

What part of this are you saying did not occur?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

One million dollars in taxpayers' money used to buy tobacco for inmates disappeared into a private foundation run by Kerik without any accounting.

There is no data on this allegation. Where does it come from?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Here's some more info on the foundation's money:

NY Post
There's also Kerik's never-fully explained role in the 1990s as head of a New York City Corrections Department foundation that was secretly funded with roughly $1 million of tobacco company rebates from departmental purchases of cigarettes using city funds. Kerik's hand-picked treasurer for the foundation, Frederick Patrick, is now serving a one-year prison sentence after admitting in court that he pilfered nearly $140,000 of the foundation's money to pay for collect-call phone sex from inmates.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

NY Post
There's also Kerik's never-fully explained role in the 1990s as head of a New York City Corrections Department foundation that was secretly funded with roughly $1 million of tobacco company rebates from departmental purchases of cigarettes using city funds. Kerik's hand-picked treasurer for the foundation, Frederick Patrick, is now serving a one-year prison sentence after admitting in court that he pilfered nearly $140,000 of the foundation's money to pay for collect-call phone sex from inmates.

Again this is just speculation, where are the charges and investigation.?

[edit on 9-12-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's not speculation...Patrick was in fact chaged, tried, and found guilty.

Why do you keep saying it's speculation?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I like this conclusion that paints them all with the same brush, best:

"In line with other second-term cabinet appointments - Alberto Gonzales as attorney general, Condoleezza Rice as secretary of state - Kerik will be an enforcer, a loyalist and an incompetent. The resemblance is less to Inspector Clouseau or Chauncy Gardner than to Caligula's horse."

Interesting: "LIE" = loyalty, incompetence, enforcement.

Nothing like calling a spade a spade.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

NY Post
Kerik's hand-picked treasurer for the foundation, Frederick Patrick, is now serving a one-year prison sentence after admitting in court that he pilfered nearly $140,000 of the foundation's money to pay for collect-call phone sex from inmates.

Well maybe Kerik was being thoughtful. In prison conditions, phone sex might be healthier than smoking.
And from the 140k number, they had quite a lot of it.

In any case, he does look like a shady character, doesn't he.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Dr.Horacid I found more dirty rags that belong to our president new pretty boy.

TextAt the same time, Kerik was accused of using photographs taken by detectives at the WTC site for his book, which was published that November. He agreed to pay $2,500 to settle a Conflict of Interest Board finding that he had improperly used three city cops to travel to Ohio to learn details about his mother for the book

He also has his own cronies to do his dirty job when needed.

He was also accused of awarding the department's top medals to his cronies, one of whom was the chief who sent the detectives to the homes of the Fox employees. A second was one of the cops who traveled to Ohio.

He also went for the "american dream" and got from "rags to riches"

In 2002, he joined the board of Taser International. Last month, as Taser's president and chief executive each sold $20 million of stock, Kerik sold his for $5.7 million.

www.newsday.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Marg in each case these are only allegations. No charges or anything. I need more than allegations.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Marg in each case these are only allegations. No charges or anything. I need more than allegations.

And I understand your reason for wanting more, but you will have to ask for the records of all these cases yourself.

We are giving you the facts as provided by news, but the cases is something you will have to find where the issues were brough up by the individual court were complains were filed.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And I understand your reason for wanting more, but you will have to ask for the records of all these cases yourself.

We are giving you the facts as provided by news, but the cases is something you will have to find where the issues were brough up by the individual court were complains were filed.

Thanks but my point is I see a lot of allegations but no cases filed. I have looked and contacted freinds in NYC. This is all supposition, no charges.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

There is no data on this allegation. Where does it come from?

Probably the same place the Daily News got it from.

aelita pointd this article out
For five years under former Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, the city's Correction Department operated a little-known foundation that took in and spent some $1 million. [...]
But where did the money go?

The answer to that question remains a mystery. Indeed, even many of the people who were in position to know, including leaders of the department's uniformed unions and at least one of three people other than Kerik who served on the foundation's board, said they don't know where the money went.

horacid
Again this is just speculation, where are the charges and investigation.?

So now you've gone from, 'its a lie' to 'i don't see the data' to 'well why weren't they arrested'.

They commited a crime, by not reporting or tracking the money. Are you claiming that they did track it? Or not? Which is it? It doesn't matter why Kerik wasn't prosecuted. He was in charge of it, and it was handled improperly.

No one is particularly interesting in trying to convince you of anything you realize? your opinion or understanding of the matter is entirely meaningless. No one is trying to own it or control it. If you can look at all this, see that the treasurer for the group was convicted, see that kerik was the head of the group, and still, somehow, pretend that the UK article is breaking some 'truth in reporting law' for reporting absolutely factual information (re: The group kerik was in charge of 'lost' millions) then, well, who cares?

I have looked and contacted freinds in NYC.

I suppose at this point you must've missed sensfans statement on this, that an investigation and conviction did come out of this. The UK paper made a rather reasonable decision to report it in that article. Nothing they presented was a lie, or wrong, or even a distortion. It was keriks group, the money wasn't tracked, and thats all there really is to it. They didn't say 'kerik is a liar and a theif'.

new topics

top topics

join