It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the Mysterious Phaistos Disc Been Partially Deciphered?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
translate.google.com...://phaestos-disk.at.ua/

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The Minoans worshiped the moon! Structuring the text of the Phaistos disk shows that it was copied by the disc manufacturer, or with inscriptions made in the form of three bilateral axes, or with inscriptions on the very similar axes (labrys) from palace or cave sanctuaries. The text is a list of the dedications of the main rulers of Crete to the moon god. One of these axes, the largest, four-blade, could also be used as a kind of lunar calendar. The disc itself, the moon on the full moon, is a kind of portable version of these initiations. These initiations were made in order to receive the blessing of the god of the moon. It is possible that the number of dedications of each ruler depended on the number of buildings he had (palaces and villas). Hence, and one more destination of the Phaistos disk is a charm in the form of a snake coil (the inscriptions on the disk after all in a spiral) for these buildings and all living in them, tk. The Minoans believed that the serpent in the house brings God's blessing. The Phaistos disk was made before the largest earthquake in 1700 BC. Who destroyed the early palace. Since the disk, as a guard, did not take this palace from destruction, it was later "punished" - disguised as a layer of plaster in the main cell of the building's hiding place. For more details see the site: phaestos-disk.at.ua...

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 123rednaxela123
a reply to: theantediluvian

The Minoans worshiped the moon!

The Minoans seem to have worshiped primarily goddesses

en.wikipedia.org...
Next

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I saw this a couple days ago and I completely forgot I was going to start a thread about it. I'm certain a great many of you reading this are familiar with the Phaistos Disk as it's been an object of considerable interest since its discovery over a hundred years ago. For those who are not, a brief introduction:

Side A of the Phaistos Disc, image from Wikipedia

The Phaistos Disc (or Disk) was discovered in 1908 by Italian archaeologist Luigi Pernier in a basement chamber at the site of the Minoan palace of Phaistos, on the Greek island of Crete. It's a fired clay disc, about 6 inches (15 cm) in diameter with 241 characters, composed of 45 unique symbols, that appear to have been pressed into it as with a set of seals. On both faces of the disc, the symbols are arranged in a sequence that spirals clockwise to the center.

The precise date of its creation is unknown though most estimates range from about 1850 BC to 1400 BC. Though it is almost universally accepted as a genuine artifact, there have been scholars who questioned its authenticity in the past and as recently as 2008. In addition to years of rigorous study and Pernier's excavation records, the finds of two Minoan artifacts with similar features have supported both its authenticity and a Minoan origin: The Mavro Spilio ring (1926) and the Arkalochori Axe, which was discovered in a cave on Crete in the 1930's and shares a home with the Phaistos Disc at the Heraklion Archaeological Museum.

Several things make the Phaistos Disc unique: the pressing of the symbols resembling an ancient typesetting, the spiral arrangement of the symbols and most importantly, the script itself is completely unknown outside of this single specimen. Some scholars have associated it to Linear A and Linear B while others have linked it to Anatolian hieroglyphs.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, on to the current development! Dr. Gareth Owens, of the Technological Educational Institute of Crete, is claiming that he has determined the meaning of several of the symbols and has been able to extract the gist of the disc's message.

From Discovery News (find related at Obscuragator):

Owens argues that the disk -- about 6 inches in diameter -- contains a prayer to the mother goddess of the Minoan era.

"The most stable word and value is 'mother,' and in particular the mother goddess of the Minoan era," said Owens, according to Archaeology News Network.

Using specific groups of symbols Owens says one side of the disk contains the translated wording "great lady of importance" while the other uses the expression "pregnant mother." One side, Owens says, is dedicated to a pregnant woman and the other to a woman giving birth.

Owens spent six years working on the code with a colleague at Oxford University and says about 90 percent of one side of the disk can now be deciphered. In a talk, he jokingly referred to it as the first Minoan "CD-ROM" for its shape and hard-coded data.

and from The Archaeology News Network:

He says there is one complex of signs found in three parts of one side of the disk spelling I-QE-KU-RJA, with I-QE meaning “great lady of importance” while a key word appears to be AKKA, or “pregnant mother,” according to the researcher.

One final source of information for the really curious is the TEI website.

As a lay person, to me his findings seem roughly as likely to be valid as many of the others so I'll be keeping an eye out to see how his work is received by other experts.

A few years back I got interested in the disc...and tried to construct some thoughts on it. Basicaly just by looking at the symbols and trying to imagine what they could mean.

I know...it's scientific

Anyway...my idea was...that the disc depicts the beginning of (humans) time on Earth. Sort of like the myth of creation. I starts at the very center...and works it's way to outer rims of the disc. Some symbols repeat to signify a restart of the civ.

Anyway...just an idea...

Good thread man

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 04:01 AM
link   
looking at it again...it might be a calendar of sorts...with markings depicting specific points in a year...perhaps tied to agriculture. sort off...when to sow and when to reap

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This will be more of a photo dump as a comparision...

Re: Sea Peoples(conglomerate of various unknown cultures raiding from the sea) & Ramesses III, Island chain history Gilbert/Easter/Melanesia etc., pictograpic language

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
The dimpled pattern aligns twice, but not quite for the third go around.
Nietzsche?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
Next

The ancient peoples had, usually, several gods and goddesses at the same time.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...
Next

Ok, I agree, so they weren't worshipping the moon then, like you claimed earlier

Lets be honest here, it might just be a dinner plate.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk

en.wikipedia.org...
Next

Ok, I agree, so they weren't worshipping the moon then, like you claimed earlier

Lets be honest here, it might just be a dinner plate.

For you it's just a plate with lunch, and for me - an artifact with a syllabic letter.

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm glad they're able to start working out what this says, things like this fascinate me/ One thing though, how can they be sure they symbols spiral out towards the centre, I mean can they be sure it's not spiraling away from it? Rhetorical question really, I don't expect you to actually know.

originally posted by: [post=18576245]theantediluvian[/postOn both faces of the disc, the symbols are arranged in a sequence that spirals clockwise to the center.

Thanks for bringing this to us...

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

For you it's just a plate with lunch, and for me - an artifact with a syllabic letter.

A frisby, thousands of years ahead of its time

HERE IT IS, HERE IT IS, THE ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY THEY'VE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT

posted on Mar, 26 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
I'm glad they're able to start working out what this says, things like this fascinate me/ One thing though, how can they be sure they symbols spiral out towards the centre, I mean can they be sure it's not spiraling away from it? Rhetorical question really, I don't expect you to actually know.

originally posted by: [post=18576245]theantediluvian[/postOn both faces of the disc, the symbols are arranged in a sequence that spirals clockwise to the center.

Thanks for bringing this to us...

On both faces of the disc, the symbols really are arranged in a sequence that spirals clockwise to the center. I prove this in my work.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The Phaistos Disc appears to be an astronomical instrument like a planisphere.
Here are some archeoastronomy animations that show the Phaistos Disc as a planisphere in rotation:

Archeoastronomy Animations: Phaistos Disc Side A
youtu.be...

Archeoastronomy Animations: Phaistos Disc Side B and Dispilio Tablet
youtu.be...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: paracelsus
The Phaistos Disc appears to be an astronomical instrument like a planisphere.
Here are some archeoastronomy animations that show the Phaistos Disc as a planisphere in rotation:

Archeoastronomy Animations: Phaistos Disc Side A
youtu.be...

Archeoastronomy Animations: Phaistos Disc Side B and Dispilio Tablet
youtu.be...

As with everything mysterious to modern man, including his own religions. "Based on space. "

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join