It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough mo'ne davis!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I am fed up with all the hype of this girl!
This is not an attack on her by the way just all the attention she is getting.

She is in a Chevy commercial.

She is on the cover of sports illustrated.

Spike Lee is making a documentary about her.

She's not that damn good!
She the 18th girl in the little league world series and nobody can name the first 17.

I am the vice president of a girls softball league with around 200 young ladies. I can tell you without hesitation that she would not make the all star team with her batting and fielding skills.

So what's so special about this kid?

Again I'm not attacking her I just want to know why the bar is being lowered in order to make her a celebrity.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I can answer your question, but I'd be banned for doing so.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Just do what I did 12 years ago: Get rid of your cable/satellite service. I don't even know who the heck you are talking about. How cool is that?

edit on 23-10-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Seeing what passes as celebrity material these days I'd say the bar isn't even low, it's subterranean and digging up the Mole People.

Exactly who is Mo'ne Davis? Someone who will be an unknown in 10 years?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Just do what I did 12 years ago: Get rid of your cable/satellite service. I don't even know who the heck you are talking about. How cool is that?

Its everywhere!
Magazines
Newspapers
I guess I need to bury myself..

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I don't read newspapers, either. I get my news from many sources online, and I can't stand sites like TMZ. I'll have a look when some celebrity I like passes away or something, but otherwise I am clueless about Enterntainment and Gossip matters, which is the way I like it. Why clutter your life experience with such vapid sensory input?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

A friend of my daughter was the first girl to pitch a perfect game in high school varsity baseball in the state - well, I guess the "only" one.

I imagine she must be thinking "What did I do wrong?"

Here's the thing - even back when I played (when we used clubs and rocks) girls played, and they were often better at that age than boys - but by 15, they were all gone. Girls physically mature earlier, then are surpassed by the boys when they develop. I'd be surprised to see her make it as far as high school ball, and shocked if she went any further.

Heard the NCAA gave her an amateur exemption to make those commercials - wonder what that guy busted for selling his autograph must be thinking?

I was happy for her as a story - but the hype machine is probably gonna ruin her, and I bet her teammates are thinking "wtf? We played too, you know."

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I just clicked on the thread to see what kind of autocorrect brainfart ended up in the title. Found out it's some girl's name. How about that. With the apostrophe it would fit in with a fantasy novel.

How do you pronounce that anyway?

Mo'ne.

Moan? Money? Monet?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Her middle name is ikea ....
Lol

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Which of the 17 had a run like she did in the most recent LLWS?
Yes she wasn't the first, shoot wasn't even the only girl in this most recent one but she went the deepest and was fairly dominant.
Sorry she is cashing in on it, her right to make some money and businesses right to promote what they want right?

ETA: I do agree her batting and fielding skills were sub par, but she is known for her pitching, would you say that was sub par?
edit on rdThu, 23 Oct 2014 15:34:00 -0500America/Chicago1020140080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Subpar?
No just overrated.
In the long run this girl will suffer when she tries to make a college team and finds out she's not special.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Her middle name is ikea ....
Lol

Please tell me you're joking?

And just how do you pronounce the first name?

Moan, Money, Monet? Something else?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

No joke I'm afraid

It's. Mo...nay....

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Her pitching was overrated or her overall play?
If it is the latter then we can agree, if you think her pitching is over rated then I guess we will agree to disagree

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That's my point, she was a one dimensional player. She played a game against a team in the regional that had a girl playing first base. She was a much better overall player. Her team was just better. You can say she was a great pitcher but she got drilled in the finals.
I'm just saying that it's to much hype for her.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Ya she got lit up by nevada, I think the pressure and the hype got to her.

You asked what was so special about her and it was that she had made it the furthest any girl had made it before and did a pretty good job along the way.
She deserves to cash in, she put the work in let her get the reward for it.

top topics

join