It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Struggles to Find Troops for Missions

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
The US is guilty of what? Stopping a madman? Stopping terrorist?

The oil-for-food scandal. Is it your contention, that the United States did not illegally acquire as much money, or even more, than the countries that you are accusing of being guilty?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What i don't understand is how the UN can do anything without the US being able to stop it with it's veto power. The oil for food program could have easily be veoted by the US... it's not like the US has no power in the UN heck they somehow even convinced other countries to have the HQ in New York.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trent
What i don't understand is how the UN can do anything without the US being able to stop it with it's veto power. The oil for food program could have easily be veoted by the US... it's not like the US has no power in the UN heck they somehow even convinced other countries to have the HQ in New York.

The Oil-for-food scam was started after the Gulf war. Then the US elected a vile, corrupt, womanizing, piece of garbage called CLINTON who put forth Kofi Annan.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Sorry to chime in here, but I didn't think the invasion of Iraq was a NATO mission. Can someone set me right on this?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chris McGee
Sorry to chime in here, but I didn't think the invasion of Iraq was a NATO mission. Can someone set me right on this?

NATO has been ask to provide training for Iraq troops to help free up US and Coalition troops to kill bad guys.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
NATO helping out

Yeah, this link details the training they're doing.

And this is taken from the NATO treaty:

and to refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force in any manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations.

www.nato.int...

So it looks like NATO couldn't conduct a mission that went against the direct wishes of the UNSC anyway. Iraq had nothing to do with NATO.

(interestingly, if you do decide to leave NATO, you've got to give your intention to leave to the US govt, so if the US leaves, they'll have to hand it to themselves
)

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Sounds more like Chaos to me. Elect a leader then sue him for leading?

So your Leader can violate the constitution as he wishes without being persecuted? (

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito

So your Leader can violate the constitution as he wishes without being persecuted? (

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

those guys actually sued the Chanchelor,the minister of defense and the foreign minister on the war in kosovo. But the Lawsuit became obsolete when the UN SC decided on the war later.

Good to hear there is rule of law still, in some countries.

Germany is right about having such laws in place.

It's not Chaos. It's Accountability. Duh.

As for you dislike of Clinton, I perhaps share it. He should have never aided islamist thugs by bombing Serbia.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

those guys actually sued the Chanchelor,the minister of defense and the foreign minister on the war in kosovo. But the Lawsuit became obsolete when the UN SC decided on the war later.

Good to hear there is rule of law still, in some countries.

Germany is right about having such laws in place.

It's not Chaos. It's Accountability. Duh.

As for you dislike of Clinton, I perhaps share it. He should have never aided islamist thugs by bombing Serbia.

Here.here..........I am in complete agreement

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

So will you be donating money to Saddams defense fund? The UN donated $21 BILLION.

No, the program was supposed to help build Iraq's infrastructure and what not.

Now, did you forget that it was the U.S. how put Saddam into power to begin with, and at that, at a time when we was far more dangerous to the Middle East then he was now? Did you forget that the Clinton Administration stood by with idle hands while he gassed 5000 plus Kurds? Did you forget that they never condenmed these actions untill now? What about sanctions that killed 1.5 million children?

Deep

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

So will you be donating money to Saddams defense fund? The UN donated $21 BILLION.

No, the program was supposed to help build Iraq's infrastructure and what not.

Now, did you forget that it was the U.S. how put Saddam into power to begin with, and at that, at a time when we was far more dangerous to the Middle East then he was now? Did you forget that the Clinton Administration stood by with idle hands while he gassed 5000 plus Kurds? Did you forget that they never condenmed these actions untill now? What about sanctions that killed 1.5 million children?

Deep

Sanctions didn't kill children. Saddam diverting the money did. Clinton was perhaps the worst president in the history of the world. But nonetheless, Saddam was the EVIL here.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep Did you forget that the Clinton Administration stood by with idle hands while he gassed 5000 plus Kurds? Did you forget that they never condenmed these actions untill now? What about sanctions that killed 1.5 million children?

Deep

That was the Bush administration, not the Clinton administration.
The Al Anfar gassing happened in 1988.

I agree with you on the sanctions.
It's so hypocritcal for people to blame the Oil for Food scandal for the deaths of children, ingroing those who died before the program began bringing much needed money and relief into the country.

dang, I was going to stay out of this one because it was going so off topic.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Sanctions didn't kill children. Saddam diverting the money did. Clinton was perhaps the worst president in the history of the world. But nonetheless, Saddam was the EVIL here.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The sanctions were in place for many years before any money started coming into the country through Oil for Food.

The sanctions started in 1990, the money for Oil for Food started around 1997.
There were already about 1.5 million dead by that time.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The sanctions were in place for many years before any money started coming into the country through Oil for Food.

The sanctions started in 1990, the money for Oil for Food started around 1997.
There were already about 1.5 million dead by that time.

Kofi Annan started oil-for-food after the gulf war around 1992. Check his UN bio..........

"In 1990, following the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq, Mr. Annan was asked by the Secretary-General, as a special assignment, to facilitate the repatriation of more than 900 international staff and citizens of Western countries from Iraq. He subsequently led the first United Nations team negotiating with Iraq on the sale of oil to fund purchases of humanitarian aid."

www.un.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Clinton was perhaps the worst president in the history of the world.

IMHO, of course the prize goes to Dubya, with troops stretched thin and US borrowing money from China and other countries to finance this ongoing lunacy, like there is no tomorrow. I'm really mad that I and my children will have to pay the principal and interest on the Dubya's misadventures.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

IMHO, of course the prize goes to Dubya, with troops stretched thin and US borrowing money from China and other countries to finance this ongoing lunacy, like there is no tomorrow. I'm really mad that I and my children will have to pay the principal and interest on the Dubya's misadventures.

And that is why we should dump NATO and the UN. Save some bucks.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Kofi Annan started oil-for-food after the gulf war around 1992. Check his UN bio..........

He may have started negotiating then but the money did not start flowing then.

www.un.org...
Agreement: Although established in April 1995, the implementation of the programme started only in December 1996, after the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the United Nations and the Government of Iraq on 20 May 1996 (S/1996/356). The first Iraqi oil under the Oil-for-Food Programme was exported in December 1996 and the first shipments of food arrived in March 1997.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Ok, if you say so. France Germany both have troops there, so how are they not helping?

Please post a link that France and Germany have troops in Iraq!

No one sad Iraq, they are talking afganistan that is where France and Germany have forces.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

And that is why we should dump NATO and the UN. Save some bucks.

Also, cut the military aid to Israel, and withdraw from Iraq.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join