It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

happy people disgust me

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A little limerick I wrote when I was very young, with expletives deleted:

Look at all the happy people,
Living their little lives so well.
# you, all you happy people,
I hope you die and burn in #,
Because all you #ing happy people
Are happy because of your greed.
You know what makes me happy, people?
I’d be happy to see you bleed.

originally posted by: Nechash
a reply to: introspectionist

You only live once.

No, no we don't. I've died more times than I'd care to count, and every time I just wake up in another bed, in another body, and think to myself "Here we go again..."

How many times can you live before every aspect of this reality becomes a boring, tedious nightmare?

When the things that used to bring you joy now feel like chores, what do you do?

No matter how fun or exciting something is, if you do it enough times it becomes torture.

Pleasure has become a synonym for punishment. The better I feel physically, the worse I feel mentally.

When I do something for someone else, they say they owe me nothing. When someone does something for me, they say I owe them everything.

Most 'happy people' seem to operate under such ridiculous hypocrisy. They only want to be around you until you're no longer of any use, then they toss you aside and laugh about it.

I can't think of a single thing that's fun, interesting or exciting. I'd rather do 10 hours of hard labor in the Florida sun than have sex, both look like work to me, and at least I wouldn't owe anyone for the former. Apparently that makes me a horrible person who deserves to be used and ridiculed. If you can laugh at someone who's miserable in what you perceive to be a 'good time', then yes, you are disgusting.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: introspectionist
To me it feels like there is something very perverted, unspiritual, about being happy. Hatred is purity. Kind of like winter in the arctic is pure and white whereas the tropics is a cesspool of poisonous insects, dirt, viruses and foul smell. I feel the same about being alone vs being around others. Whatever I do with others feels perverted.

I think what you're actually describing here is not purity per se but, instead, single mindedness. While being single minded in purpose or thought can have a sort of purity to it, it still does not equate to being actually "pure". Instead, single mindedness is quite the opposite and would be more akin to narrow mindedness. Instead of discerning the whole of the population or even a given population as being distinct individuals, you're painting with a mighty broad brush.

For instance, let's say you and I are in a grocery store and you spot me doing my usual of smiling and joking with the cashier assisting me (I like doing this because I always make them laugh and hope I brighten the monotony of their day). From your view, you would probably see me as just another happy and shallow person without considering that I basically had my life totally get tanked within the last two years and the only blessings that I've got really are my loved ones. That happy lady joking with the cashier isn't really happy. She's just putting on a tough face to brighten a day--both hers and the cashier's really.

When you measure another human being from a quick glance, the potential for being wrong can be huge. I'm dealing with so much from the fact that I have incontrovertible proof that my mother used a neuroscientist to try to brainwash me from sustaining an injury that is causing my brain to fry to the point where I can't even work. And that isn't even counting all the other sufferings going on from having to sit here and do nothing due to that same injury while I watch my kids growing up afraid that I'm going to die and being silent on the things that they need. But yes, you'd definitely hate me if you ran into me at a grocery store because I'm all smiles, pleasantries, and jokes.

Your name is introspectionist. Right now from my point of view, your name is an oxymoron in my book. Do some more introspection.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I see a lot of offended people in this thread. Glad that I could help highlight some of your fears. And I'm glad I don't fit into the groupthink on this forum like everywhere else.

Today when I was on the train home from work, Friday evening, there were three young hot women. Probably on their way to some party or something. Perhaps to go clubbing. They were very happy. When I saw and heard them I thought about this thread. No, I was not day dreaming when I posted this thread. This kind of people really is a universe away from me. I remember when I took a course at university. It was the same. Everyone was very happy. I remember listening to an audio recording I had made and the class was chatting before the teacher came. Felt the same when I listened to that.

I am convinced that optimism is a poison for the soul.
edit on 201031Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:20:02 -0500201402pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-24T14:20:02-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I see a lot of offended people in this thread. Glad that I could help highlight some of your fears.

Today when I was on the train home from work, Friday evening, there were three young hot women. Probably on their way to some party or something. Perhaps to go clubbing. They were very happy. When I saw and heard them I thought about this thread. No, I was not day dreaming when I posted this thread. This kind of people really is a universe away from me. I remember when I took a course at university. It was the same. Everyone was very happy. I remember listening to an audio recording I had made and the class was chatting before the teacher came. Felt the same when I listened to that.

I'm not offended, personally. A little worried you're gonna get all "Hatred" on us? Yeah. Seriously, you sound almost exactly like the guy from the "Hatred" trailer.

Please don't take your rage out on innocents.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Don't worry be happy, put a smile on your face. Turn that frown upside down. 😀. It could always be a lot worse, be careful what you wish for. It might just come true.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Optimism is a mental disorder.

The optimism I see on this forum reminds me of this video where Alex Jones talks to an audience member. It's ironic that this is a conspiracy/truth seeking forum.

There was also plenty of this kind of optimism in Brave New World.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

If optimism is a mental disorder, then wouldn't its exact opposite--pessimism--also be a mental disorder? Pragmatism--both a mix of realistic optimism and pessimism--would probably be the healthiest point of view in that case. Probably why Buddha talked about the "middle road".

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

You need to try harder to be a loaner, to be grim and brooding.
Right now it just reads like a weak imitation of a character from one of the Crow films.
I'm willing to bet that to this point your suffering has been no worse then what anyone else has experienced but you are trying to make it seem that way, have at it and enjoy feeling you are different than anyone else just because you think being happy is poison.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
K, I try to be as positive and optimistic and happy as I can because there is so much bad in the world. I refuse to be laden under tons of crap and be miserable. What will that change? The crap is still there. Being miserable just adds extra stress.

I try to find the good in everything that is possible to find good in. Get bad news? Something not work out right? Perhaps it happened so something better can come to be. Lots of things in life are there to help us prove to ourselves if we are the sort who give up or the sort who get knocked down and keep getting back up. So things fall apart over and over? Then get back up over and over. Whatever great is coming, IS coming and you'll never find it if you choose to not keep getting back up.

My life is one big disappointment after disappointment.
I still get back up after appropriately getting upset, depressed, angry, etc.
I refuse to stay face planted in the ground.
Cuz good things DO come that make the bad worth while.
I have learned this.
Thusly, I will remain positive and upbeat.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Those same happy, shiny people might have undergone suffering that is unimaginable to you, and come back from that deep dropoff.

There are things that happen to all of us that seem or are beyond our control that make us angry, sad or unhappy. Beyond that, happiness for me is closely related to the ability to live simply, and its mostly a choice.

I can recall being single and alone in a big city and irritated by what I perceived as gushing by couples, especially on Valentine's Day or other holidays. It occasionally seemed like a performance. I think that was mostly me, and the way (at the time) I chose to feel. Not saying that's the case for you, just pointing out that our perceptions of others are sometmes tainted by our own baggage.

Wasn't going to ever be anyone come along and say, "hey! you look unhappy........ whyn'cha tell me all the horrors of your life, and I'll expend my significant bankroll in an attempt to make things better, maybe even introduce you to a few women." Nope. Waited a long time, grumbling. Didn't happen. Nearly getting killed was useful in that regard, but I don't recommend it. It was fashionable in those days where I lived for young'uns to be disgruntled, especially artists and musicians. I wore my angst like armor, and it served that purpose. Didn't need polishing or anything.

It's all on you. It probably doesn't help you much to look at others as a yardstick for your own experience. If it's one thing that has saved my ass for the majority of my life, it's been the ability to laugh at myself.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Most of the responses to this thread have brought a smile to my face.

Keep spreading the joy!

I have to say it kind of brought some self reflection towards me , because a lot of times i have the same mindstate as the OP , yet upon reading this i also bursted out in a laugh , because i realised how self destructive this thinking pattern is.

Sure we all feel depressed sometimes , but we got to play the hand that has been dealt to us , look at it from the bright side , even though all the sh#$t we been through collectivly we are still here slaying the demons that plague us.

And if you aint happy , make it a life goal , aquire the things that make you happy , what good is life if you dont have goals and dreams to work to.

edit on 24-10-2014 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
DP
edit on 25-10-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

You need to try harder to be a loaner, to be grim and brooding.
Right now it just reads like a weak imitation of a character from one of the Crow films.
I'm willing to bet that to this point your suffering has been no worse then what anyone else has experienced but you are trying to make it seem that way, have at it and enjoy feeling you are different than anyone else just because you think being happy is poison.
Obviously my posts tickle some form of inferiority complex in you, whatever it might be. Otherwise you wouldn't be so eager to push me down. Again, I'm glad I could help highlight some of your fears. And as I said before, that's good, that means you're not so mindlessly happy. Mingling of souls. Nice to meet you.

And I already know that most of my problems are inside my head. That doesn't diminish it. Mental inhibitions are no better than objectively measurable inhibitions. It's like if you have noise for example. The level of disturbance is not only a matter of how many decibel the noise is, it's equally as much dependent on the sensitivity of the ears. Besides, you know very little about me and my life, you're simply presuming.

People like you and most people in this thread remind me of the many people I talked to online a couple of years ago during a period when I met psychologists and psychiatrists. I was lost in the fog then. And everybody was just like people in this thread; don't be such a wimp, your life is not worse than anyone's, it's all perception, you're just ungrateful, you're just moaning, cheer up etc. etc. None of which actually made any difference. And later it dawned on me how befuddled all of these people really were, and blind, and how they all just acted out of fear.

The sum of man’s desires is referred to as his heart. Since the nature with which we are born is absolute egoism, man does not feel the spiritual point in his heart. However, at some point in one of his reincarnations, man begins to gradually strive towards attainment of the causes of life, its evaluation; he yearns to attain himself, his source, just as you do right now. Man’s aspiration to the Creator is precisely this aspiration to attain his origin. Man’s discontent in life often helps him in this search, when there’s nothing that appeals to him in his surroundings. Such circumstances are sent from Above in order for man to start feeling an empty point in his heart, and to stimulate in him the desire to fulfill it.
Zohar

People in this thread are simply projecting their inner fear of not being worthy. And the fact that they do that is a sign that they are being enlightened. Which is exactly what the mindless happy drones are not being. So by being annoyed people in this thread are actually showing that they are not what they claim to be and what they try to defend. It's not in the words, it's between the lines.

This discussion also makes me think of Jew-hating Muslims. I believe that when Muslims hate Jews it's a sign that the Jews are doing their job. The main mission of Jews is to annoy the Gentiles, to be that antagonist that keeps the evolution going. If it wasn't for the radar there would be no stealth airplanes...

One night it was some Somalian Muslim girls in hijabs, who instead of helping us with directions, turned to us and seethed, "Put a dick in your ass!"
www.huffingtonpost.com...

We may regard those who hurt us as our adversaries, yet they are also our friends, because they force us to grow wiser. Our adversaries are the impetus or impelling force that helps us evolve. These adversaries bring awareness to our deepest fears and unconscious beliefs. When we can bring awareness to these hidden parts of ourselves, the things which we avoid can become our gateway to growth and healing. Our antagonizer is our helper. The people who you struggle with will only be forcing you to dig deeper into your inner wellspring of lightness, love, and inner peace. The gems you find inside yourself will bring an even higher awareness, allowing others to respond from a more empowered loving space. When you start recognizing the divine within yourself and in everyone, then everyone you meet becomes a divine teacher showing you exactly what you need to learn next on your life journey.
www.mindreality.com...

www.youtube.com...

Everything that irritates us about others can lead to an understanding about ourselves.
Carl Jung

This thread also reminds me of when I wrote about new age people on another forum. They were all very offended and upset and threw all kinds of mud. Said to me that I obviously hadn't done any shadow work etc. It was very ironic. That seems to be something that you see across the board with spiritual people, including myself and most in this thread; we are a paradox; very egoistic/narcissistic and sensitive at the same time as we are spiritual. I also wrote about a similar thing here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is why I believe that the invasion of TPTB into North Africa actually does help those people that live there evolve. And same thing with all those that are moving out of the Middle East into the West. And the people who live in the West already.
edit on 501031Sat, 25 Oct 2014 03:50:23 -0500201423pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-25T03:50:23-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate father and mother cannot be my disciple, and whoever does not hate brothers and sisters, and carry the cross as I do, will not be worthy of me."
Note that it doesn't say "Whoever was not abused by his father and mother cannot be my disciple.".

I see this very clearly when I compare Westerners to Muslims. Muslim men are generally a lot tougher, more decisive, more extroverted etc. From their frame of reference most Western men are wimpy, sensitive, like women etc. I wrote about this in a thread about the rise and fall of civilizations. I suggested there that those who procreate are those that must keep evolving, while those who don't are those that are finished evolving. The rise of feminism is another very interesting philosophical subject. I believe it is basically the other side of the coin of the same evolution that makes men sensitive.

A lot of people are probably offended by these ideas, which is just good anyway.

Here's another thread I started where people have a very similar reaction to that in this thread:

edit on 161031Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:16:27 -0500201427pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-25T04:16:27-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I'm not really understanding the point of this thread. It's like a plea for help or for others to agree that they also hate happy people or its effort to try and make everyone who reads it a miserable as the op. I would go see a doctor and tell them your depressed, maybe give you some anti depressants. Cheer you up a bit. They do work, so maybe worth an effort

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I'm not really understanding the point of this thread. It's like a plea for help or for others to agree that they also hate happy people or its effort to try and make everyone who reads it a miserable as the op. I would go see a doctor and tell them your depressed, maybe give you some anti depressants. Cheer you up a bit. They do work, so maybe worth an effort
This is the rant forum. Taking anti depressants is the last thing I would do. God save the souls that are stupid enough to take them.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

If optimism is a mental disorder, then wouldn't its exact opposite--pessimism--also be a mental disorder? Pragmatism--both a mix of realistic optimism and pessimism--would probably be the healthiest point of view in that case. Probably why Buddha talked about the "middle road".
You could say pessimism is a mental disorder. But that's a good mental disorder. Makes me think of when Bernard dated Lenina in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Lenina shrugged her shoulders. "A gramme is always better than a damn," she concluded with dignity, and drank the sundae herself. On their way back across the Channel, Bernard insisted on stopping his propeller and hovering on his helicopter screws within a hundred feet of the waves. The weather had taken a change for the worse; a south-westerly wind had sprung up, the sky was cloudy. "Look," he commanded. "But it's horrible," said Lenina, shrinking back from the win dow. She was appalled by the rushing emptiness of the night, by the black foam-flecked water heaving beneath them, by the pale face of the moon, so haggard and distracted among the hastening clouds. "Let's turn on the radio. Quick!" She reached for the dialling knob on the dash-board and turned it at random. "… skies are blue inside of you," sang sixteen tremoloing falsettos, "the weather's always …" Then a hiccough and silence. Bernard had switched off the current. "I want to look at the sea in peace," he said. "One can't even look with that beastly noise going on." "But it's lovely. And I don't want to look." "But I do," he insisted. "It makes me feel as though …" he hesitated, searching for words with which to express himself, "as though I were more me, if you see what I mean. More on my own, not so completely a part of something else. Not just a cell in the social body. Doesn't it make you feel like that, Lenina?" But Lenina was crying. "It's horrible, it's horrible," she kept repeating. "And how can you talk like that about not wanting to be a part of the social body? After all, every one works for every one else. We can't do without any one. Even Epsilons …" "Yes, I know," said Bernard derisively. "'Even Epsilons are useful'! So am I. And I damned well wish I weren't!" Lenina was shocked by his blasphemy. "Bernard!" She protested in a voice of amazed distress. "How can you?" In a different key, "How can I?" he repeated meditatively. "No, the real problem is: How is it that I can't, or rather–because, after all, I know quite well why I can't–what would it be like if I could, if I were free–not enslaved by my conditioning." "But, Bernard, you're saying the most awful things." "Don't you wish you were free, Lenina?" "I don't know what you mean. I am free. Free to have the most wonderful time. Everybody's happy nowadays." He laughed, "Yes, 'Everybody's happy nowadays.' We begin giving the children that at five. But wouldn't you like to be free to be happy in some other way, Lenina? In your own way, for example; not in everybody else's way." "I don't know what you mean," she repeated. Then, turning to him, "Oh, do let's go back, Bernard," she besought; "I do so hate it here." "Don't you like being with me?" "But of course, Bernard. It's this horrible place." "I thought we'd be more … more together here–with nothing but the sea and moon. More together than in that crowd, or even in my rooms. Don't you understand that?" "I don't understand anything," she said with decision, determined to preserve her incomprehension intact. "Nothing. Least of all," she continued in another tone "why you don't take soma when you have these dreadful ideas of yours. You'd forget all about them. And instead of feeling miserable, you'd be jolly. So jolly," she repeated and smiled, for all the puzzled anxiety in her eyes, with what was meant to be an inviting and voluptuous cajolery. He looked at her in silence, his face unresponsive and very grave–looked at her intently. After a few seconds Lenina's eyes flinched away; she uttered a nervous little laugh, tried to think of something to say and couldn't. The silence prolonged itself. When Bernard spoke at last, it was in a small tired voice. "All right then," he said, "we'll go back." And stepping hard on the accelerator, he sent the machine rocketing up into the sky. At four thousand he started his propeller. They flew in silence for a minute or two. Then, suddenly, Bernard began to laugh. Rather oddly, Lenina thought, but still, it was laughter. "Feeling better?" she ventured to ask. For answer, he lifted one hand from the controls and, slipping his arm around her, began to fondle her breasts. "Thank Ford," she said to herself, "he's all right again."

Another pessimist:

It’s not hard to justify our selection of George Orwell as our Pessimist of the Week. All you need, in fact, is one quote from his novel Nineteen Eighty-four:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
thepessimist.com...

I believe that pessimism, just like depression, anxiety, and all forms of neurosis and psychosis, are spiritual gifts. Nothing is more lacking in enlightenment than being well-adjusted.
edit on 471031Sat, 25 Oct 2014 04:47:56 -0500201456pAmerica/Chicago2014-10-25T04:47:56-05:0031 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Somewhat ironically an attitude very similar to that of most people in this thread is part of what makes me hate my parents and sister. They are very much like Lenina. I was never allowed to feel anything. Always trying to joke and laugh away any kind of emotion that wasn't "optimism", or ignoring it. I got sick of it. And it became a negative spiral where I hated more and more and isolated myself. Most of my "problems" (though I see it as blessings, which is what most people can't comprehend) are probably what you could call self-inflicted, or victim mentality. But I think it's a good thing. And the fact that I hate my mother so much has made me wonder if my physical mother is just some form of shadow of my real mother, "divine mother". Which I connect very much to Gnosticism, Kabbalah, Plato, Rumi etc.

Metaphysics
Main article: Platonic realism

"Platonism" is a term coined by scholars to refer to the intellectual consequences of denying, as Plato's Socrates often does, the reality of the material world. In several dialogues, most notably the Republic, Socrates inverts the common man's intuition about what is knowable and what is real. While most people take the objects of their senses to be real if anything is, Socrates is contemptuous of people who think that something has to be graspable in the hands to be real. In the Theaetetus, he says such people are eu amousoi (εὖ ἄμουσοι), an expression that means literally, "happily without the muses" (Theaetetus 156a). In other words, such people live without the divine inspiration that gives him, and people like him, access to higher insights about reality.

Socrates's idea that reality is unavailable to those who use their senses is what puts him at odds with the common man, and with common sense. Socrates says that he who sees with his eyes is blind, and this idea is most famously captured in his allegory of the cave, and more explicitly in his description of the divided line. The allegory of the cave (begins Republic 7.514a) is a paradoxical analogy wherein Socrates argues that the invisible world is the most intelligible ("noeton") and that the visible world ("(h)oraton") is the least knowable, and the most obscure.

Socrates says in the Republic that people who take the sun-lit world of the senses to be good and real are living pitifully in a den of evil and ignorance. Socrates admits that few climb out of the den, or cave of ignorance, and those who do, not only have a terrible struggle to attain the heights, but when they go back down for a visit or to help other people up, they find themselves objects of scorn and ridicule.

According to Socrates, physical objects and physical events are "shadows" of their ideal or perfect forms, and exist only to the extent that they instantiate the perfect versions of themselves. Just as shadows are temporary, inconsequential epiphenomena produced by physical objects, physical objects are themselves fleeting phenomena caused by more substantial causes, the ideals of which they are mere instances. For example, Socrates thinks that perfect justice exists (although it is not clear where) and his own trial would be a cheap copy of it.

The allegory of the cave (often said by scholars to represent Plato's own epistemology and metaphysics) is intimately connected to his political ideology (often said to also be Plato's own), that only people who have climbed out of the cave and cast their eyes on a vision of goodness are fit to rule. Socrates claims that the enlightened men of society must be forced from their divine contemplations and be compelled to run the city according to their lofty insights. Thus is born the idea of the "philosopher-king", the wise person who accepts the power thrust upon him by the people who are wise enough to choose a good master. This is the main thesis of Socrates in the Republic, that the most wisdom the masses can muster is the wise choice of a ruler.
Theory of Forms
Main article: Theory of Forms

The theory of Forms (or theory of Ideas) typically refers to the belief that the material world as it seems to us is not the real world, but only an "image" or "copy" of the real world. In some of Plato's dialogues, this is expressed by Socrates, who spoke of forms in formulating a solution to the problem of universals. The forms, according to Socrates, are archetypes or abstract representations of the many types of things, and properties we feel and see around us, that can only be perceived by reason (Greek: λογική). (That is, they are universals.) In other words, Socrates was able to recognize two worlds: the apparent world, which constantly changes, and an unchanging and unseen world of forms, which may be the cause of what is apparent.
en.wikipedia.org...

Dearest friend, do you not see All that we perceive - Only reflects and shadows forth What our eyes cannot see. Dearest friend, do you not hear In the clamour of everyday life - Only the unstrung echoing fall of Jubilant harmonies. - Vladimir Soloviev, 1892
www.gnostics.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Keep patting each other's back and thinking you are enlightened. I've been saying it for a while, people on this forum aren't really interested in thinking, they just want to have a fun time. It's football and beer basically this forum. This forum has so much groupthink it's amazing. That's why I've been saying for a long time a real truth seeker is alone, he has no friends and wants no friends.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Obviously my posts tickle some form of inferiority complex in you, whatever it might be. Otherwise you wouldn't be so eager

Cool story..

I'm not eager to do anything with or for you..If you want to feel that you are somehow more enlightened or have through your terrible struggles gained some insight into the human condition then have at it.

My stance has always been that people go through periods of suffering and joy in life and you need to experience each exquisitely to appreciate and learn from the other.

I also think it's funny when people judge based off threads . You keep telling anyone who smiles "you are befuddled" as if you have the knowledge to make such a statement.

It's okay though, enjoy your misery.
edit on 25-10-2014 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join