It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's high court clears way for gay marriage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Looks like Canada is going forward and making it ok for gay couples to wed. They also defined marriage as the union between two people.

OTTAWA - The Supreme Court of Canada gave the federal government the go-ahead Thursday to legalize gay marriage, but stopped short of saying that this was required by the Constitution.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

declared only that the government had the authority to legislate on marriage and that its proposed definition of marriage as "the lawful union of two persons" would not violate the Constitution.

I wonder how many americans will take the trip across the border to wed. If they do this does it make them legally married in the US also?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
During vietnam draft dodgers went to Cananda and it looks like Gays will be heading that way this time. This might make Canada the gayest place to be.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

as posted by jeeze louise
If they do this does it make them legally married in the US also?

No. The 'marriage' would only be valid in a state or states that allow same-sex-marriage. I'm just going off the top of my head here, so don't quote me.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
This might make Canada the gayest place to be.

Hmmmmph....OOOOOoooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkay

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
This might make Canada the gayest place to be.

I don't know about the rest of the country but I'm pretty happy after a 6 pack.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Plenty of Americans have already crossed the border to marry In Ontario, as it's been legal here for a year and a half.
It's caused some problems with customs, etc., though when re-entering the states, due to the fact that its not recognized in most states.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hey let's not forget that when they're done with our gays, they'll be attracting our pot heads and abortion seeking mothers!

I wonder if America could ever accept Canada's political right wing conservative nuts?

Perhaps we can work this agreement into a NAFTA?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Whenever I hear about opposition to gay marriage, I always think of that line from Ghostbusters, "Gay marriage will lead to bestiality, pedophilia, human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!"

Oy vey! It still makes me laugh!

Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, biblical?
Ray: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor... real Wrath-of-God-type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies.
Venkman: Rivers and seas boiling!
Egon: 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos.
Winston:The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We might have a mass migration all heading north. The Mexicans are coming to America for work, the gays and potheads are moving to Canada. Well the gays and potheads might only stay for the summer and then move south for winter.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
all the real issues that need to be addressed in Canada - softwood lumber, Young Offender Act, health care, beef ban, minimum sentencing, street gangs, immigration, etc etc

and instead, our govt rushes gay marriage through the SC and next week parliament

someone on the radio last week summed it all up..."only in Canada will they ban trans fats...and legalize marijuana"

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why are'n't the Mexicans moving to Canada, if it's supposed to be a more human or decent country , do I miss something here....?

(not one of those stupid canada bashing remarks, just really wondering why)

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
Why are'n't the Mexicans moving to Canada, if it's supposed to be a more human or decent country , do I miss something here....?

(not one of those stupid canada bashing remarks, just really wondering why)

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

This is an easy one.

Mexico:

Canada, around February:

Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
ah, canada gives them the cold shoulder....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
ah, canada gives them the cold shoulder....

A jamaican man delivers mail to our office every morning (Toronto) argues god never build the black man to with stand the cold Canadian weather. Then every other day he mentions how much he loves living here.

I always mention how i sunburn in seconds under extreme hot sun, but i certainly love visiting the caribbean islands!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
intrepid, that was a nice visual showing the differences.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
invade canada, theres something going on up there i dont like

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
invade canada, theres something going on up there i dont like

What would that be, progression?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
gay marriage is a disgrace to Canada and should be banned. What is this world coming to

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminator363634
gay marriage is a disgrace to Canada and should be banned. What is this world coming to
People who judge others becuase of thier sexuality are a disgrace to human kind! What's this world coming to!?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I dont know why people from either side of this issue are making such a big deal of such an insignificant event. Really.

BTW, if someone really wanna "put gays back in their place", dont deny them the right to wed... deny them the right to divorce!

[edit on 10/12/2004 by Nikosmo]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join