It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which language should i learn ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Planning to learn an extra language , need suggestions. Right now in my mind options are Russian and German . German due to its similarity with English may make it easier .Russian is a slavic language with increasing sphere of influence Russian may get useful.

Though Mandarin,French,Japanese,Spanish are all in my mind now ...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I now that China was offering a course for free to learn Mandarin, so if money is a factor in your decision, I suggest you speak to a language school near you to learn of such options. Speaking to them might also yield some practical advice as to which might be more difficult for you to learn, etc. Anyway, congratulations on your decision. Knowing another language is life-changing socially, besides being good for your brain.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

I like russian as their the closest allie we got to the american peoples. Of course thier the govt enemys but not ours.
Though arabic is my interest.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've always wanted to learn American sign language. I'd love to see that taught in schools in this country. (And it's something you can use when you get older if you have difficulties communicating.)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

You may get a kick out of this...lol

I would learn Spanish if you didnt know it....Between English and Spanish you would be able to speak to WELL OVER half of the world. Spanish is second most spoken language after Cantonese. Cantonese only because of population size (China), but thats mostly in concentrated areas of Asia.

If not Spanish then Cantonese. You would be able to speak to almost the entire world if you could speak Cantonese, Spanish and English in that order of relevance.

edit on 10 23 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Spanish and Chinese would have the most use job-wise for most people. It's hard to get jobs in the medical or service fields on the US border without being bilingual and they don't even have to specify English-Spanish, it's assumed.

One third of the world's population is Chinese and that would open up a lot of doors although be prepared for a long haul, it's so different from English. French and Italian are lovely languages but actually have a small number of native speakers, comparatively.

Maybe take a short beginner's course in every one you're interested in and see what you think then. Libraries will have them for free. Some are going to be easier than others. Where would you want to live or work someday?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Spanish and Chinese are most useful in today's world.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Klingon and Pig Latin.

Kidding aside, I agree with the post above me ^^^^

edit on 23-10-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Have you considered Italian? that is one sexy language, and it rolls of the tongue.

Japanese is fantastic too, but there are so many vowels and consonants, yet it looks fantastic on paper.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Be sure to get the formalities correct because Worf is a very precise man

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
One of the maddening facts that rile a lot of people and is generally ignored(on purpose) is that the English language is the language of the future. That statement alone will elicit quite a few posts from all those people trying to defend and keep their native tongues and dialects alive. Come down to the bottom line, the language of the airlines is English, the language of space is English but more importantly the language of technology is English. So if you want to learn a different language just pick a place that your more likely to go on holiday and learn that language. As for Chinese or Cantonese it's strictly for the Chinese. So they have the numbers in China but that does not make the grade.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Legalese, so you can attempt to function in our overly litigious world.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Italian is good, not useful, but it is a romance language, which opens to e door to all of them - Spanish, Portuguese, French, Klingon. I have heard that when you learn one, the rest of those come much easier.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
One of the maddening facts that rile a lot of people and is generally ignored(on purpose) is that the English language is the language of the future. That statement alone will elicit quite a few posts from all those people trying to defend and keep their native tongues and dialects alive. Come down to the bottom line, the language of the airlines is English, the language of space is English but more importantly the language of technology is English. So if you want to learn a different language just pick a place that your more likely to go on holiday and learn that language. As for Chinese or Cantonese it's strictly for the Chinese. So they have the numbers in China but that does not make the grade.

You are more right than you know. It is the universal language of business and air traffic control also.

Think about European countries and the basic languages they learn. Germany: German, and English. Spain: Spanish, and English. France: French, and English. They probably know others, but they generally speak their native tongue, and English. I do not know anyone from any European country that does not speak English.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
Italian is good, not useful, but it is a romance language, which opens to e door to all of them - Spanish, Portuguese, French, Klingon. I have heard that when you learn one, the rest of those come much easier.

Speaking Italian made it much easier for me to learn Spanish.

And I agree with your other post regarding learning English. As an American learning another language is more of a hobby than say, my Italian relatives, who really do need to learn English to compete in a global market.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
India will in the future be a leading country in the world of business, hightec, manufacturing and their alliance with China will eventually make them world leaders in finance.

Educated Indians already speak English so Mandarin would be the best choice for the coming business paradigm shift.

But if you are worried about the coming social upheavals coming to America....then Spanish!

Que Dios nos Ampare
edit on 23-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Russian and German are your best choices... best in that becoming fluent in either one can earn you a good deal of money... there are a lot of German visitors here... Lot's of Russian professionals coming here to for work too.

Here in Colorado a State certified translator earns $32 bucks per hour... as an independent contractor that is...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

ive gone through this debate several times with myself....i speak english, german, spanish and have dabbled in a few others.....

the best way to have fun with a language is to learn it...with that German is by the easiest language I have encountered if you are a native english speaker

also my next one personally will be esperanto. It is supposed to be the easiest...it is a made up language but there are quite a few people involved in it...i think it would be neat to establish an esperanto zone or have a country maybe even a new country use esperanto as its primary language

if you really look at it its designed to be much much easier to learn ..at least for languages that use the roman characteristics people..

German is spoken in quite a few countries and there are some groups in south america that have little german communitities. Spanish is spoken in quite a few places all over the world and several contitnents...same with french.

Mandarin Chinese and Russian could be highly useful just as they are major players in the world today and being bilingual in one of those would probably gurantee you a job...but they are probably much harder to learn.

duolingo and live mocha are great sites to start on and they are free...

but if you really want a challenge....learn to speak ebola
edit on 23-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The best and most useful language to learn would be computer code.

Did you know over 90000 jobs in this field...this year... will go unfilled in the US alone because not enough people know code!?

LEARN TO CODE!

code.org

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've found that my 5 languages have been valuable to me over the years.
Not because I do negotiations in those languages. No, I do all my negotiations in Danish or English.

But it helps me to understand the side remarks made by guests and business people when they think that switching to their language will allow them to gain an edge.

I know. It's devious. But in a competitive world it often pays to be ahead.

Sometimes even my English becomes stumbling and rudimentary.

As to what language?

By the looks of the world today Russian or Arabic might become very important. But don't let on.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join