It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“I’ll Come To Your Place When SHTF” – No You Won’t

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: silo13

Interesting thinking...

OTOH those looking for help could be used for labor and if they prove trustworthy even for security.

Does one lone wolf survive an attack from a pack?

Yeah, in any prolonged scenario (like 'utter disintegration of society'), a community is necessary to prolonged survival. Someone who's really serious about prepping should consider that as well - not to say he's not doing that, or even that the author actually exists. 50 prepared people would have a much better chance than 5. Having people with different skills - medical, dentistry, carpentry, farming, and yes, security and labor - will be necessary.

Not that I'm an expert - I won't spend what's left of my time and money on something that will probably not happen in any way I can prepare for. Having a stocked cabin in the woods would do me little good if I'm vaporized by (whatever) while sleeping in my bed. Ima watch those football games ...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yeah. Something to think about. I've had people say that exact phrase to me. Tell you what, if the particular SHTF scenario was even one where I was near my stuff and was prepared for, I wouldn't shoot a friend, but I'd have no problem saying, no, sorry, you didn't listen, and move along. If they were armed and pulled on me to take my stuff, well then all bets might be off. And I'd expect no more from anyone else either if they were in my shoes.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My adult children know I am slowly equiping myself with the knowledge to produce necessities in traditional ways, they also know I have stocks of all types of things. Given where I live and my preperations, I would have a fighting chance of survival.

They know, any issues they are welcome in my home. No one else is aware of what I keep stashed away, eg very old books on all sorts of things, like building an simple electric generator and motor. catching yeast, etc.

Many of my friends, lovely as they are, would in a nightmare senario be a liabilty, therefore to help them would be risking my own survival. I am not sure I would shoot them, but I do know I would be prepared to protect my family, old as they are

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Yeah, kind of like the person that doesn't contribute to the potluck dinner but digs in and enjoys.

Not.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Thanks for your reply!

"For all anybody knows if it was a real SHTF scenario the people making up the so called 'Shadow Government' will be in the same boat as the rest of us. Not every SHTF scenario will conceivably work out in the 'Shadow Governments' favor."

You may be right. The "shadow government" don't seem to be terribly bright in their frustrated, kill-'em-all! viciousness. The Global Warming folks are falling out - especially after someone deleted corroborative material from Wikipedia that this "temporary warming period" is part of our planet's ecological cycle, and has happened (and been documented) multiple times in the past. And the "3 stolen nukes" last Fall was a real event - derailed by top military brass who put their careers on the line to make sure Charleston was NOT nuked. (I continue to research this controversial event, but my discussion is in [HOAX].)

But people today in the U.S. seem in a depressed malaise. That no matter what they do or how they vote, the negative Elitist "shadow government" always seems to get its way. This seems to be the root of all the Dystopian SciFi, as well as ordinary people's current mindset - especially the survivalists/preppers. Things are so bad and no one knows how to fix things, so they just yearn for a ReSet - or allow the melt-down and start over. (Personally I'm rather attached to antibiotics, air conditioning and fresh running water with flushing toilets - NONE of which would be available after a total catastrophe.)

And, as I pointed out in my first post, the government has satellites that can see absolutely everything that happens in the U.S. So in the event of a melt-down, it won't be unprepared neighbors and relatives knocking on your bunker door - but a tank that will make mincemeat of your $10,000-security-door, and steal everything you've laboriously stored.

And don't think the major Feds are unprepared:

www.washingtonpost.com...
(2006) 50 U.S. FEDERAL AGENCIES PRACTICE AN "EVACUATION DRILL" BY HEADING TO PREPARED BUNKERS
But, according to fbo.gov, Letterkenny Army Depot is ordering "tunneling equipment." So these Fed Agency bunkers may not be all that safe either ...

edit on 23-10-2014 by MKMoniker because: typos

edit on 23-10-2014 by MKMoniker because: clarity

edit on 23-10-2014 by MKMoniker because: add content and clarify

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
When SHTF hoarding food is a fairly short term thing, when the crumbs are gone you're SOL.

Tools, seeds and snares will provide for a much longer duration.

Of course if the world is radioactive or a disease is rampant...

...you may not wish to survive.

My point of view may be obscure as I live on a remote island, my prep for an SHTF scenario began years ago.
edit on 23-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: maybe to may be

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: MKMoniker

For all anybody knows if it was a real SHTF scenario the people making up the so called 'Shadow Government' will be in the same boat as the rest of us.
Not every SHTF scenario will conceivably work out in the 'Shadow Governments' favor.
Something for yourself to think about...

Did I just read that right? After 60 years of stealing our money, printing even more, building cold war bunkers and underground cities, massive internal security forces (DHS) plus having the armed forces, police and every alphabet agency at their bidding you think those same people have anything to worry about?

If they do then I pity what awaits the rest of us.

I can see the point of that letter though I don't know that I could ever turn down family or friends. Far too many of them scoffed at all my paranoid thinking (the government spy on us? Ha ha, funny guy!) and kept your blinders on lest your weekend of getting sloshed and watching football be somehow interrupted. I have repeatedly warned them if nothing else have a least 2 -3 weeks of food and water for natural disasters.
And yes, I have heard "I'm coming to your house" several times in addition to "if the SHTF I'm gonna follow you, ok?" Sadly these same people who did nothing to prep have also done nothing to protect their rights or protest their removal. More than anything I would have to tell them shame on you for not sticking up for your freedom.
Had we all acted in concert long ago this country could be in great shape and still be relatively free. Too many wanted to be lazy and do nothing and soon we may all pay the consequences for their negligence. I might die along with everyone else but at least I will know I did what I could. There's something to be said for maintaining your values no matter what.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

"Of course if the world is radioactive or a disease is rampant...you may not wish to survive."

My thoughts exactly! I always have a Local Disaster Kit ready. I had one in California for earthquakes, and now I have one for hurricanes. But all these extreme preparations seem over-the-top and unrealistic.

What I'd call the "Yellow House Still Standing" phenomenon. When Hurricane Ike destroyed the Texas barrier island of Bolivar a few years ago, everything was destroyed except for a super-built yellow house. Great photo-op, it was all over the media.

But how good was it, really? Absolutely NO infrastructure survived, from electricity to stores, water or sewage lines. Even the asphalt roads were impassible with debris. And forget gas stations. Nothing was left but that yellow house - and it was so dependent on the surrounding (destroyed) infrastructure that it was totally unlivable.

edit on 23-10-2014 by MKMoniker because: clarify

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You can prep without having to hoard large amounts of supplies.

I have 2,000 rounds for each gun.

4 large totes filled with tones spices and 100 lbs of dried beans and 200 of dried rice.

I have a 40 foot diesel pusher motorhome and enough stabilized fuel to reach South America.

The rest of my efforts have all been about educating myself.

Knowledge about how to survive can't be taken away from you, items can.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eccentriclady

You make an excellent point. Those who have made no preps probably haven't bothered to learn any skills that would be useful in TEOTWAWKI. Probably not so much as to even know how to sew on a button. Such ignorance could only be a liability to those they would be dependent upon. My grandkids get a free pass regardless however.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I've got a friend with more guns than bodies. And he welcomed me to his place if anything catastrophic happens.

So that's where I'll be going.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I might die along with everyone else but at least I will know I did what I could. There's something to be said for maintaining your values no matter what.

True. True, true.

Yet, we're forced to make these decisions every day. How many times driving away from the burger window do we pass someone with a 'I'm homeless - any help is good' sign and do nothing - but stuff another hand full a fries in our fat mouths?

I know that's not what you're sayin - but day in and day out we're faced with the same type of decisions.

We're all - right here - right now - trying to survive! We have - they don't - what do we do about it? Nothing right now? Something? A little? A lot? Or are we going to wait for the PTHTF to prove who we are and who we're not when it comes to our fellow man?

Let’s start now. Before the big fan gets turned to high.

peace

edit on 23-10-2014 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Hey

Just keeping real.

If the SHTF scenario is severe and widespread enough no matter how much they have socked away or how high their mountaintop stronghold nor strong their deep bunker complexes are they're just as susceptible to extinction.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

"Probably not so much as to even know how to sew on a button. Such ignorance could only be a liability to those they would be dependent upon."

My husband and I survived six days without electricity after Hurricane Ike. A large man, he laughed when I earlier bought a small, portable moisture-cooler (from Carol Wright Gifts on-line), since I knew he couldn't take the heat. When the power went out, he was carefully carrying it around everywhere like a newborn baby!

And if folks want to be at least minimally prepared for a local disaster, you can get an up-to-date Boy Scout Manual, or download from these sites for free:

www.readyforanythingnow.com...
FREE SURVIVAL GUIDE: READY FOR ANYTHING

www.preppers.info...
PREPPERS: FREE PREPAREDNESS FILES

www.wilderness-survival.net...
WILDERNESS SURVIVAL

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't care about survival....

If the shtf actually happens...then it's time for retribution and revenge.

I haven't forgotten.....

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

This is what I thought when I read the OP as well. Also, what's to stop me from getting a bunch of like minded people to storm the bunker? You can't fend off everyone as a singular person.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hmmmmmmm

I have a 40 foot diesel pusher motorhome and enough stabilized fuel to reach South America.

The rest of my efforts have all been about educating myself.

Knowledge about how to survive can't be taken away from you, items can.

Perhaps a little educating would be beneficial if you researched what will happen to traffic patterns in a shtf event.

That motorhome will be your coffin.... but if you did manage to make it to South America, I'm sure you would be welcomed with open arms by the locals

edit on 23-10-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
My friends are like family members to me they may not be blood but I love them just the same and would protect them wether they prepared or not.

Prepping is not everyones cup of tea and most think the # wont hit the fan and I dont condemn my friends for thinking like this just because I am a serious prepper.

whoever wrote this letter and those who agree are dicks.. simple. Or they truely dont know what the meaning of friendship is.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Most of the "grasshoppers" will cancel each other out.

The dude will never show up on your doorstep. He'll jump in his car to come to you, discover he only has a quarter of a tank, and then set out in search of gasoline. When he finds a filling station, the chaos at the pump will kill many as they draw their glocks to cut in line, not even realizing that Apu has already siphoned off the rest of the gas before he took the slim-jim display and drove off down the back alley.

Having survived 2 or 3 gunfights to put some STP straight into his gas-tank, and with only a flesh wound, your friend pulls his now crumpled SUV onto the interstate.... and joins a sea of other cars, honking their horns in a grand symphony of rage and impotence as the sun begins to set.

Point being, of the whole column of stalled cars, only 50 or so walkers will emerge at the city limit sign by tomorrow's sunrise. They'll be limping along in their fashionable pumps and crocs, carrying their i-pads and backpacks full of computers and power cords.

When it really starts to rain, it'll wash all the scum off the streets...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Take a good hard look at what all this 'FEAR" does inside the mind. Is the writer wrong........No. The fable the ant and the grasshopper.

With so many people becoming preppers it might become a self fulfilling prophecy as people wait in fear for the other shoe to drop. Fear is not good for the mind it is the root of all evil. Yoda was right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join