It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS needs responsive layout...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
(A "responsive" layout - for anyone not familiar with the nomenclature - is a website layout that adjusts itself for the device on which it is being viewed, typically presenting a different design between a desktop client and a mobile one.)
I do something in the order of 90% of my ATS browsing on my phone. I remember that this current layout design was rolled out a few months back. Somebody dropped the ball.

Something like 30%+ of all web traffic is now on mobile devices. This website is not - at least as far as I can tell - responsive. It makes using the site on my mobile devices clumsy at best.

Reckon there any chance of this being fixed?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

What phone/browser are you using?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gemwolf

What phone/browser are you using?

Using a Google Nexus 4 with latest Android, browsing with Chrome.

Actually, I had forgotten that the home page sometimes displays responsive, sometimes not. May be dependent upon device orientation. All other pages do not.

I just installed Firefox yesterday afternoon. I'll have a look at it there later.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
If you click on the downward arrow along the toolbar at the top on the right next to the clock icon it will bring up a secondary toolbar. On it click my account then scroll down to the bottom. On the right under the avatar options you can select mobile or desktop options.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Well, I have no idea what is happening with your device, but the site works really well on my iPad.

To be honest, the site and its new skin were a little to get used to, but certain aspects of its use have become much easier now, assuming ones device has no setup issues which might be getting in the way.

I however know very little about these things.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
If you click on the downward arrow along the toolbar at the top on the right next to the clock icon it will bring up a secondary toolbar. On it click my account then scroll down to the bottom. On the right under the avatar options you can select mobile or desktop options.

Really?!!!??

How utterly lame and unnecessary!

It is not a difficult thing to detect whether a visitor is using a "desktop" or a "mobile" device, and adjust accordingly. I do that all the time on sites I build. It's a freakin' library call...well at least in the .NET library...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

ATS works like a charm on my mobile devices. I've tested a few during the testing of the new layout ranging from my 2004 NEC MobilePro 900c running Opera Mobile to my more modern Tegra powered phone(s) and tablets using Chrome, Firefox, and the built in Android browser.

I never experienced any problems with the sizing no matter which view mode I was in.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It IS responsive -- in a hybrid way. We detect mobile devices, and send different CSS/HTML specific to the device (phone/tablet).

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418
Really?!!!??

Lame? Seriously? Your direct experience level with the need for that option is… … … … what?

That option is in place because some members preferred the desktop version on their mobile devices. The site code defaults to the mobile version, on mobile devices… but gives our members an alternative if they so desire.

But thanks for the useful and constructive comment.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

i like the layout
Mr Overlord , when i look at the site on my Iphone i can never find the back button? using the app am i missing something ?

thanx in advance for any response

Q
edit on 23/10/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

On Android, use the phone's hardware back button. On iOS, just swipe right.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Really?!!!??

It is not a difficult thing to detect whether a visitor is using a "desktop" or a "mobile" device, and adjust accordingly. I do that all the time on sites I build. It's a freakin' library call...well at least in the .NET library...

Dude, it does exactly that. Nearly every mobile browser has the option to view a responsive layout website in either mode. That's a browser option. The fact that it does not default to the mobile version is the problem; not that there's an option.

I've never seen it not default to the proper layout. The space on the sides are what makes it doable. If you have several columns, it just lines them up vertically so nothing actually has to be resized but, instead, just re-organized.

Troubleshoot it, man. If none of us are having the same issue, it's likely an issue on your end.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

swipe right got it ty sir

Q

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Lame? Seriously? Your direct experience level with the need for that option is… … … … what?

Something over a dozen commercial websites that include everything from toy stores, to insurance companies, to job boards.

I've been a software engineer for over 40 years and have built almost exclusively for the internet since the early days...remember "uslottery.com?" (I still haven't fully forgiven the government for what they did to uslottery.) I was one of the first to employ the .NET platform (circa 2000,and yes I know it wasn't released until 02).

So...how much direct experience do ya want?!!!
edit on 23-10-2014 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Most websites give you an option of how you want to view their website, ATS is no different. I would rather make the decision of how I want to view a website rather than it adjusting accordingly.

I actually prefer the desktop version of ATS to the mobile version.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This responsive layout is over rated IMO, a ploy by web site designers to create more work for themselves.
My brother is an IT guy and talked me into changing my work web site to this layout.
After spending many weeks redoing the pages it looked OK.
But then I thought, who is actually going to search the web for a new roof on their phone???
Not many I bet.
Urgent repairs maybe you might surf the Yellow Pages, but if you are choosing a company to install a new roof on your house, I would expect the average homeowner would take the time to sit down at a proper computer and do some serious research. Well I hope so.
As far as ATS goes, I can't even find the ATS login on my Andriod at all.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Works fine on my end. Coming from someone who has dabbed in webdesign, it is a pain to please everyone. With hundreds upon hundreds of screen resolutions and devices, it is impossible to please every single person. Nice work ATS.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: tanka418

Most websites give you an option of how you want to view their website, ATS is no different. I would rather make the decision of how I want to view a website rather than it adjusting accordingly.

I actually prefer the desktop version of ATS to the mobile version.

Do they now...
My bank doesn't
Microsoft doesn't
virtually all DNN (dotnetnuke) sites don't; course the same can be said for virtually all .NET sites...The ability to detect what is connecting and respond accordingly is "built-in" and is used...placing the ultimate decision on the user. The user can decide whether to configure their mobile browser to connect as a mobile device or a desktop.

The need for this kind of responsiveness should be obvious...any phone is wholly incapable of displaying a usable screen area of say: 1500 X 2000+ pixels (unless you can read the truly "fine" print, and have small fingers)

And, a site that has the proper "switching" going on...you won't know the difference, and will enjoy the experience.

A hint to some: You can find out "what" is connecting to your site via the server headers, and respond accordingly.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I actually like the mobile version because I'm able to zoom in and out. The biggest problem with it is that when you zoom in too much, the menu reverts to the fixed position and takes up most of the screen.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My apologies for the delay in replying. Long work day. I appreciate your prompt and informed replies, moderators. Thanks.

And, hoo boy, do I seem to have opened up a can of worms. (But that, unfortunately, seems to often the the norm around here.)

Anyway, I've checked my settings and looked at the site in two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox, both latest version on Android's latest). I find it to work a very little bit better with Firefox.

I do have the Mobile Version option enabled in my settings.

On the home page, I do sometimes get the mobile menu (drop-down kind of thing). On all the other pages, it's the same menu as on the desktop version. The problem with this is that in Chrome, if I zoom the page, the menu goes all wonky, becomes unusable and gets in the way of the text. Doesn't seemt to happen like that with Firefox.

With the desktop menu (no drop-down, just full menu across the top), the menu options are too small to see. If I enarlarge the page, they just get weird and difficult to use.

I'm doing this post with Firefox, and it seems to work much better than with Chrome. I'll do another with Chrome in a moment to compare.

Anyhoo, if this is the responsive version, I guess I'll live with it. Doesn't work great for me, but I've seen worse.

edit on 2014 10 by incoserv because: I could.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join