It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thief - A Game That I'm Addicted To!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Actually with games like Skyrim (which runs on their Creation Engine), all of the outside world isn't loaded while you're outside.

When you're in the cities, just the city itself is loaded. If you get on top of the Companion's building roof, and use whirlwind sprint to jump over the city wall, you will....and quickly notice things missing outside the walls.

While you're out of the cities, you have large cells loaded up, but as you move down the roads you end up with progressive loads of the next cell, while the area you are leaving is being no longer rendered.

Oblivion did this too, but they made it much more seamless in Skyrim.

Thief 4 uses the Unreal 3.0 engine, which is pretty darn good. I've used the UDK 3.0 to make my own maps and stuff. Unreal 4.0 is even better.

I will certainly have to check out the earlier versions of Thief. Most of you are telling me it was great to play. I can deal with earlier graphics, etc, as long as the game is fun.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yeah the initial loading screen for Skyrim and Oblivion would take forever loading those maps if it did it all at once lol.

However I was just saying I prefer that style where the game loads new areas as you're walking to them or whatever. The loading sections didn't kill it for me and they did a better job with it than DS. Loading times are just one of those things I wish didn't have to exist *sigh* I hope all the negative reviews for the game didn't kill the potential for another one because I liked what they did with 4.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Review scores don't normally kill a game series.

Sales is what get's paid attention too by the publisher.

At least for AAA games.

<< 1   >>

join