It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Tracking App Beta

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have been coding up a way to allow "unofficial" and crowd-based reporting on the current Ebola outbreak and wanted to give the ATS crowd a heads up so you can check it out also. Its still Beta but I've gotten a lot of the kinks worked out.

Website > contagiontracker.com...
Android > play.google.com...

Some of the cooler things about it:

- Post anonymously which is nice for privacy concerned people as well as HC and GOVT workers
- Selectable locations so the mapping portion has accuracy to the stories
- Upload picture directly, easy to link to and share also
- Capture pictures from the mobile site from your phones camera directly
- Android App is done, iOS is close Same functions
- Auto email capability. Daily summary of postings from prior days
- Mapping locations, it is in further development also as I try to hunt down "official" data supplies @ WHO to apply via a filter set also
- Classification system for reports

BETA STUFF:
The layout is twonky still, the commenting I just used the easiest out of the box solution for, the responsive is meh, the android version only works down to 4.1, and possibly other items

Give it a checkout and let me know suggestions and ideas! Be critical also in reviews please
thats the best way to end up with something good.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jollyjollyjolly

No smart phone

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Great idea for an app..and I love your avatar....

But why are the permissions ....photos/media/files/camera/microphone/device call information....and location which is about the only one i could see if people were giving first hand accounts.

Ok I guess I could see photos too if you are uploading the photo...but does it have to have all that?
edit on 22-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

sorry edit again: the website is pretty slick with all the info on there ..nice work
edit on 22-10-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

Oh no! Well good for you actually these things are PITA's but the website version has the same functions as the App as well

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hey, honestly it looks well put together.

The news feed is great and informative. Maybe an option to change the page color from the light style it is now to a dark contrasting style like they have here on ATS?

Best of luck!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

The "direct capture" from the camera, requires the camera permissions of course and the next major release which is in alpha now already in the google play store has direct video capture as well, which requires the audio permission. Then also is the location one via getCurrentPosition() method. It also allows you to upload photos directly if you have taken shots prior and then need to upload them.

All in all I get that concern and its well founded. As a developer you should always pay attention to those settings.

The app is really about convenience, as (most)all the same functions are available(to varying degrees) on the mobile website depending on device and without the permissions required. The image upload from mobile webCanvas is a big hit or miss I have to say and the camera capture currently supports a cropping function that is just not good for bugs. So as long as you dont try to crop from the mobile, ya good.

Iz a Shill Punchr Kat! LOL

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hansonlife

oh ma god. YES I have been getting kicks for having it all bright from my wife at night! Thats just CSS and a script can even que up changes based on time... assuming time of a user that is... a bit dangerous but overall great idea!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
S&F!
great job!! I just used my sig from here. I love the app. Especially the map. Thank you for taking the time out to do this!! More then appreciated!! BOOKMARKED!!!!!! I think I'm staying signed in for a little while.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Wow. dig the app man.

The whole EBOLA non issue is a contrived blown out of proportion media fart. At best.

Best we follow this steamer though, see where it goes.

We need a fecking stupidity map. That would be a lot more useful.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This is wonderful
Perhaps add some of the comments you added to your posts as options in the posting menu?

State: scroll menu
Hospital: typebox
Tested: Yes, Waiting, N/A

Also, URLing the news source into "news source" would be sweet.
edit on 22-10-2014 by JG1993 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i cant access the website (www.contagiontracker.com...), the page is blank.

I just recently watched End Game (www.youtube.com...)
a docu. by Alex Jones and done in 2007 and it talks about Ebola being a good way to thin out the Human Population.
It also mentions the Georgia guide Stones too.
edit on 22-10-2014 by RobGhost because: Edited text

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

thank you for responding...i actually was checking other apps cause i dont know much about it..and makes sense if you have a video it needs the microphone..thx for the response mate

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobGhost

a docu. by Alex Jones and done in 2007 and it talks about Ebola being a good way to thin out the Human Population.

Im not sure what the website issue is, its showing up in here. Which browser ya using?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

But why are the permissions ....photos/media/files/camera/microphone/device call information....and location which is about the only one i could see if people were giving first hand accounts.

Ok I guess I could see photos too if you are uploading the photo...but does it have to have all that?

sorry edit again: the website is pretty slick with all the info on there ..nice work

I agree. I don't like giving up all these things for the sake of downloading an app. I've seen countless apps that demand access to my photos, calling info, location, etc and I refuse to download any of them.

If this is changed I will get a copy.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

thank you for responding...i actually was checking other apps cause i dont know much about it..and makes sense if you have a video it needs the microphone..thx for the response mate

Yes this way people can vlog their thoughts or other stuff. I have ventured around some ER's in Austin (we have had a few suspected cases) and it could have been nice during one of them to have that option.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JG1993
This is wonderful
Perhaps add some of the comments you added to your posts as options in the posting menu?

State: scroll menu
Hospital: typebox
Tested: Yes, Waiting, N/A

Also, URLing the news source into "news source" would be sweet.

Great ideas. I like the state selector and the Hospital Idea also, and newssourcing the url seems like a cool function.

I have a version of "tested" kinda but its suspected confirmed negative currently. I need to get the best naming conventions on this as the current one has been mentioned to me before that people had issues with that also.

I need to whiteboard up some names, got more suggestions on that? Or anyone else wants to jump in on that please do also.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

I agree. I don't like giving up all these things for the sake of downloading an app. I've seen countless apps that demand access to my photos, calling info, location, etc and I refuse to download any of them.

If this is changed I will get a copy.

The cool thing is the mobile version of the website does essentially the same as the app. Both app and website have anon posting functions as well. I care about peoples privacy, but in the app itself I cant remove those permissions and it function. It is a technical impossibility to remove them without reduction its function. Give the mobile website a try, its pretty functional also and doesnt need permissions like an "app" thanks to HTML5

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jollyjollyjolly

originally posted by: RobGhost

Im not sure what the website issue is, its showing up in here. Which browser ya using?

Im using Firefox... looks like its AdBlock Plus' Fanboy's Social Blocking List. disabling it fixed the problem.

I think it would also be a good idea to change the pin colors on the map to clarify case types at a glance.
edit on 22-10-2014 by RobGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

I understand know what he is doing and it is needed for his app...the best idea for people like us is to just use the website which has everything the app does...i keep an old tablet around specifically for this kind of stuff that doesnt link to anything personal...so i downloaded the app haha.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

a reply to: dianajune

I understand know what he is doing and it is needed for his app...the best idea for people like us is to just use the website which has everything the app does...i keep an old tablet around specifically for this kind of stuff that doesnt link to anything personal...so i downloaded the app haha.

True indeed the mobile website is pretty much just as functional, with a few glitches that I cant fix based on certain browsers. Chrome mobile and firefox mobile both do very good in the latest release batches.

Last night I was doing a Production release at any rate and I went ahead and removed the AUDIO permissions as I still have quite a lot of work to do on coding a solution that can handle more then even a couple video streams. (hats off to streaming media recording providers, I didnt realize how hard this is to scale past 5) I found a way to put a separate permission list into the beta package that I am rolling on Google and got some great ideas from here yesterday that I am developing on that package also (dark theme) and revised categorizations

top topics

join