It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This generation...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I agree with everything you mention.

However, it is legal to physically discipline your child. You cannot cause bodily injury to the child though. You cannot cause bruising, cuts, burns, sprains, broken bones etc.

Leaving a red mark from slapping or spanking your child would not be considered child abuse in the eyes of the law.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Once again you make assumptions on what basis? Weird Al says it's so, so it must be?

Do you even have children?

Yep. Two children, both of which, I'm very happy to say, are quite capable of reading and writing beautifully. Neither of them have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other form of social media. The eldest does have a Youtube account. I actually have raised them to be protective of the information that they place on the net. They're smart kids.

On top of it, I'm a gamer and have been for 30 years. I remember the days when 1337 speak was all the rage but even back then, kids still had an average spelling and grammar use ability. The only times, 10 years ago, where I had to translate the mishmash of what somebody had typed was simply because they were drunk off their butts. Not so these days. In contrast, today I have actually been compelled to take a few seconds of my time to retype out what very sober kids are typing in chat logs. It's my personal quest to show them how blisteringly stupid they look typing out nearly incoherent sentences and showing them what their sentence was supposed to look like.

The hilarious thing? I don't even get called a "grammar Nazi" for doing that anymore and have actually been thanked by others present, of course. The individual who I have translated, on the other hand, simply asks me if I'm autistic as an insult (which only compounds their blistering idiocy) to which I say, "why yes, I am, and I take great pride in it." I'm quite good with languages and highly proficient in drunkenese and nitwit-who-spends-too-much-time-texting. I don't think that this is a Millenial-wide issue. I'd say that it is an issue for the younger portion of the Millenials. The majority of that generation is still pretty coherent and do not rabidly defend rampant misspellings.

"Do I even have kids?" lol...That's hilarious. I've got about 250 on Steam.

#nokidding

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

That's a slippery slope for parents. I'm sure every parent doesn't plan on bruising their kid, but it does happen unintentionally.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
That's why you need to step up and be a parent. When you see your child doing something wrong, you do something about it.
The changes in society mean nothing. If you're a good parent, your kid will avoid the bad things and you'll have a good child on your hands.

Those from past generations need to grow up. Stop blaming the changes in society on your mistakes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join