It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, marijuana use doesn’t lower your IQ

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Memory and IQ aren't the same thing... Are you sure YOU aren't stoned?

I disagree there!

I think you will find that having a good memory counts quite heavily towards having a high IQ!!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

It gives me a confidence I don't normally have.

Confidence isn't a thing. It is behavior. You can choose to behave confidently without weed...though if you've conditioned yourself to act timidity you'd have to re-condition your mind. Just FYI

You, sir, are just too close minded to actually enjoy the effects of marijuana.

I disagree with this. Chemicals can effect different people in different ways. Not everyone will have the same, positive reaction that you do. Just like there are happy drunks, angry drunks and mellow drunks.

To me the biggest hurdle about pot use was to get over my opinion that those who use it are somehow immoral. This most likely stems from religion/christianity ... early on the leaders of Christianity figured out that the church and prayer should be ones only source of higher states of mind so they labeled drug use immoral and it stuck. Or something like that I think. I've shed the religion but funny how these things are hard to shake!
edit on 10/23/2014 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'd say it doesn't affect your IQ negatively.

I bet Carl Sagan would've said the same ......

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Is memory that important in todays society?

McCain ran for president of the US of A with Alzheimer disease so bad he had to take notes, he even forgot about vetting Sarah Palin when he chose her for his running mate.

edit on 23-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Changed reply to, oops!

edit on Thu Oct 23 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix BB code

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Memory counting towards having a good IQ doesn't make memory and IQ the same. It makes memory a FACTOR that influences IQ. So you are still wrong.

In any case, marijuana only effects short term memory, and only while you are high. There is no data to suggest that it effects long term memory. So you are twice as wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Memory counting towards having a good IQ doesn't make memory and IQ the same. It makes memory a FACTOR that influences IQ. So you are still wrong.

In any case, marijuana only effects short term memory, and only while you are high. There is no data to suggest that it effects long term memory. So you are twice as wrong.

And I take it that is the extent of your logic then?

O.k. let's break that down...

FACT - Cannabis adversely affects your memory. Check

A good memory counts towards your overall IQ. Check

Lowering your memory capacity lowers your IQ. Check

Conclusion

Consuming cannabis = Lowering your IQ.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

That checklist would only work if those were the ONLY factors that go into IQ development, but we both know that they aren't. Instead of using your faulty logic, how about disputing the study in the OP. You know the one that was actually carried out by scientists using the scientific method?

Again, I've already pointed out that the only memory effected from marijuana is your short term memory. And that is only effected while actually under the influence. So the only thing you are doing by smoking, is making it hard to remember where you put your keys at; but once you stop being high, you'll remember. That has NOTHING to do with IQ and is just a temporary state of mind.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That checklist would only work if those were the ONLY factors that go into IQ development, but we both know that they aren't. Instead of using your faulty logic, how about disputing the study in the OP. You know the one that was actually carried out by scientists using the scientific method?

Still not getting it are you...

Do you or do you not agree that memory is a factor that counts toward IQ?

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Do you not know what the difference between short term and long term memory is?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Do you not know what the difference between short term and long term memory is?

Don't answer a question with a question!

I ask you again.

Do you or do you not agree that memory is a factor that counts toward IQ?

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I've already agreed to that. I'm not answering your question twice. Now, when are you going to actually process the point that memory is ONLY effected when you are high? It has NO effect on you when you aren't high, so marijuana use DOESN'T have a permanent effect on memory. So IQ development ISN'T effected.

AGAIN the scientific study in the OP says you are wrong. So you are going to need a bit more than your wits and knowledge to say that I'm wrong.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I've already agreed to that. I'm not answering your question twice.

o.k.

So as you agree that memory is a factor when calculating IQ...

and it is a proven fact that consuming cannabis lowers your ability to retain information i.e. your memory.... ergo it lowers your IQ.

I have to say though that arguing over IQ with someone who doesn't see such simple logic is perhaps all the proof that is needed.

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Oh Christ, it does not make you stupid. The stoner stereotype is really very inaccurate as far as intelligence goes. Lingo, yeah, the stereotype's kind of accurate with it, but not with the lack of smarts it's not. Teens in general are pretty effing stupid -- we were all one once and we can reflect on those years ourselves. Either we did extremely dumb things, knew people who did extremely dumb things, and/or knew outright dumbfracks, users or otherwise. One of the most prolific users in my teen years was the school's top honor role student. The one who went to college on a full scholarship to boot. She wasn't the idiot stoner stereotype by any means, she was frigging brilliant.

Now, the kids who were into stealing mom & dad's beer & liquer to pass around, a lot of them ended up as drop outs, or "dead end lifers" -- folks who are the stoner stereotype even today but aren't users of marijuana. Yes, some of those drinker teens grew up into alcoholics, but not all of them did. Those party kids kind of hit the brick wall somewhere along the line. Makes you really sit back and wonder about our vices, now doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

A new study suggests that over-the-counter painkillers like Ibuprofen could prevent two debilitating side effects of marijuana use — learning problems and memory loss — that currently limit the drug's medical value.

soucre

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I see now... You don't know what the words "permanent" and "temporary" mean... You should go consult a dictionary, it will illuminate you as to what my points are in reference to marijuana not doing permanent damage to memory and the effects are only temporary.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Memory and IQ aren't the same thing... Are you sure YOU aren't stoned?

I disagree there!

I think you will find that having a good memory counts quite heavily towards having a high IQ!!

Korg.

Short term memory is affected by MJ (no impact on IQ, unless taking the test while high).

Long term memory is not affected by MJ (impact IQ occasionally).

Critical thought processing is not affected by MJ (IQ test primary function).

Having a good long term memory can count towards having a high IQ, short term memory function is only a factor if actively high when taking the IQ test.

Once the affects wear off, your memory returns unaffected.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

I have to say though that arguing over IQ with someone who doesn't see such simple logic is perhaps all the proof that is needed.

Korg.

Someone call Alanis Morissette, THIS is IRONY.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

I agree with your view on confidence, although I won't go back on what I said. It does make me more confident.

But this:

I disagree with this. Chemicals can effect different people in different ways. Not everyone will have the same, positive reaction that you do. Just like there are happy drunks, angry drunks and mellow drunks

I don't agree with. Firstly because marijuana Is not a chemical and really can't be put into the same category as alcohol or be compared to it or any other drug that are composed of chemicals. Yes, people can grow it, but that's just it, marijuana is a plant that grows naturally. Like I said, a very high percentage of the people I've smoked with have no negative effects from marijuana use. A lot of people assume it's bad because like you said people have thought badly of it because it's a "drug" making them think of the drugs out there that actually DO cause people to do harm and wreck havoc. its HIGH time people see marijuana for what it is. And I honestly don't see it as a drug at all.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I see now... You don't know what the words "permanent" and "temporary" mean... You should go consult a dictionary, it will illuminate you as to what my points are in reference to marijuana not doing permanent damage to memory and the effects are only temporary.

Please show me where I said the effects are permanent?

Though I have never known a stoner to be 'Dry' for very long....

Korg.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

...because marijuana Is not a chemical...

Case closed.

"Marijuana contains at least 60 chemicals called cannabinoids. Researchers are evaluating how effective some of these cannabinoids might be in controlling symptoms of certain medical conditions. For example:

THC. An abbreviation for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, THC is the main component responsible for marijuana's mind-altering effect. It also may help treat signs and symptoms such as nausea and vomiting that are associated with a number of medical conditions.

Cannabinol and cannabidiol. These compounds have some of the properties of THC, but cause less psychoactive effects — the high. [...]
Also, marijuana smoke contains 50 percent to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke and has the potential to cause cancer of the lungs and respiratory tract. Marijuana smoke is commonly inhaled deeper and held longer than is tobacco smoke, increasing the lungs' exposure to carcinogens."

What Chemicals Are in Marijuana and Its Byproducts?

and that's not counting possible chemical added by the growers...

"During this report period a total of 400 samples were analyzed [for Paraquat, a poisonous weed killer] constituting 400 seizures [of marijuana] and 80 controls. Of these 400 samples, 137 were from Southwest Regional Laboratory, of which 2 were positive (1.46%) [for Paraquat]. The remaining 263 samples were from South Central Regional Laboratory with 11 positives (4.18%).

Overall, the qualitative analysis showed the rate to be 13 positive samples among the 400 seizures or 3.25% positive."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join