It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

No, marijuana use doesn’t lower your IQ

page: 2
22
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I'm pretty sure that the 8 year olds were picked as a control group so that the scientists could monitor their IQ change when they were 15 and heavily using.


I want to know when they started smoking then. If they started at 14 it would not be considered a long term test.




posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: PageLC14

I understand that is your opinion on it not altering your reacions and thoughts, but im sorry that is ridiculous.
I know and have many people who smoke it every day. Actually I don't think I know someone who only has an occasional smoke. It has happened on many occasion when ive been walking through town with a friend and an argument has been aimed at me. At the time I was stoned and to be honest my arms felt like jelly so I put my head down and walked on. Any other time I would have been in head first and more than likely got a kicking or hurt someone, either way there is no similarity in reaction.

On the addiction thing, I just feel if someone has an addictive personality they will become addicted to anything even if studies suggest it is not an addictive substance. Furthermore I don't believe studies can even come close to understanding the human mind to pretend it knows if someone comes to depend on something such as in an addict.

The fact is if marijuana doesn't change your thoughts and reactions then why do people take it. Most people take it to relax your mind and take "those" thoughts out of your mind.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537


I can speak to how it's helped with my condition, making the pain levels more tolerable and helping me with eating, but hey, instead of harmless marijuana, why not just pump my body with drugs like Humira or Remicade instead…sigh…

My neighbor died of complications from that. I know what thats like. I completely identify agree with your choice of medication for it. Not talking about you when I mention addiction. So people know where I stand…

They should just legalize it completely. The only resistance to that, imo is the alcohol and Big Pill conglomerates. Their [legal] product kills many, many people. Its qualities are far more dangerous to health and accident control than herb. Same with cigarettes.

How many people in jail for weed compared to alcohol?

Just legalize it…



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Its not the ideaof marijuana making you support the government, its the idea of it pacifying you. Which it does. You can claim all the studies you want but I am living in one of these studies and the results are not as great as people are making out. Yes it is with a combination of alcohol and drugs but this is the bread and butter of many peoples lives around where I am. It allows people to be in a position and state to feel relaxed and passive enough not to really care about the larger things. This is not the case with everyone, but just from what I see on a daily basis.

On medical grounds I do support its use. I know a person who depends on it to get through the day, and unfortunately I will be going back to it on medical use having progressive CRPS (chronic nerve pain).



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

what do you mean you cant get addicted physically? for me addiction is 99% mental. I don't know what the other 1% is :p.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969




its the idea of it pacifying you. Which it does


If you are medicating with a indica then yes it most likely will calm and relax you but a good sativa will give you a nice caffeine like jolt.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
a reply to: jhn7537

what do you mean you cant get addicted physically? for me addiction is 99% mental. I don't know what the other 1% is :p.




Hahaha, I get what you mean...
edit on 22-10-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
a reply to: jhn7537

what do you mean you cant get addicted physically? for me addiction is 99% mental. I don't know what the other 1% is :p.





Have you ever been on pain pills for a long time and stopped cold turkey?
If yes then you would know the difference.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

What's funny is that when I first started seeing my gastroenterologist for my Crohn's I would ask them about medical marijuana and whether they would recommend it or write a prescription for it. They would all get uncomfortable around the subject like I was asking for something extreme, but they would have no problem telling me how these crazy drugs (like Humira and Remicade) will do wonders for me (with the slight risk of side effects)....... Awesome..... What are the side effects of weed? Lets see here, sleepy, hungry, happy... Sounds risky.. Should definitely take Humira instead where there's a chance I could get Lymphoma instead... hahaha

Our country is so ass backwards it's not even funny....
edit on 22-10-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I think it's important to note that there are two types of addiction. Physical, and chemical. Physical (mental) is the lighter version and easier to break away from, but still is addiction and will be difficult. Chemical is much much harder. Cigarettes being the biggest example I can attest to. Quitting them was hell. And the ramifications to quitting was just as bad. (getting fat)

Putting MJ down means changing your lifestyle. Changing your routine. Changing your friends. So breaking addiction is difficult, but not nearly as daunting as cancer sticks. (IMHO) ( I know people who recently stopped smoking MJ for job reasons and am using their experience as a basis for my comments.)



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537


Our country is so ass backwards it's not even funny….


Mmm, yep.

Read that a$$ top down wards.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: KnightLight

I've always felt that the 21 year old requirement is a good check for under age buying. Many of age people will buy for people a few years younger than them, but someone many years younger is a bit more doubtful. So a 21 year old would be more likely to buy for an 18-20 year old, but not so much a 16 or 17 year old. Meanwhile if the legal age were 18, an 18 year old would be much more likely to buy for a 16 or 17 year old than a 21 year old.

In this way, I've always felt like the minimum drinking age should be more of a guideline or civil infraction then an arrestable offense.


yeah right. kids are always trying to get their hands on cannabis and alcohol. and some people arent exactly averse to helping them get it.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I want to know how marijuana is somehow better at pacifying you then the rampant opiate addiction the world has from doctors writing scripts for pain medication like it's going out of style. Last I checked, opiates are FAR worse for you than marijuana. If anything is pacifying the public, it's those pills.

Marijuana doesn't exist in a vacuum, and even if it did, people can be responsible with it. Just because YOU don't know anyone who can be a responsible smoker, doesn't mean they don't exist (and far outnumber the ones that aren't responsible smokers). FYI, addicts like to hang out with addicts. So it is no surprise that you would see addiction symptoms in your friends. You've already described addiction symptoms in yourself.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I wasn't trying to suggest it was a sure thing. I was purposely using vague wording by using words like "many", or "much more likely"; you know to suggest that I'm not trying to suggest that that is the case all the time. I just felt that was a general trend that people follow. Obviously, some people are more unscrupulous than others. That's a given. But that doesn't mean that a trend can't exist. When you were 21, would you have been more likely to buy for an 18 year old or a 16 year old?



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: liteonit6969

I think it's important to note that there are two types of addiction. Physical, and chemical. Physical (mental) is the lighter version and easier to break away from, but still is addiction and will be difficult. Chemical is much much harder. Cigarettes being the biggest example I can attest to. Quitting them was hell. And the ramifications to quitting was just as bad. (getting fat)


You could even argue that you replaced one addiction for another (thanks to you ingrained habits). Cigarettes for food.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: liteonit6969

I want to know how marijuana is somehow better at pacifying you then the rampant opiate addiction the world has from doctors writing scripts for pain medication like it's going out of style. Last I checked, opiates are FAR worse for you than marijuana. If anything is pacifying the public, it's those pills.

Marijuana doesn't exist in a vacuum, and even if it did, people can be responsible with it. Just because YOU don't know anyone who can be a responsible smoker, doesn't mean they don't exist (and far outnumber the ones that aren't responsible smokers). FYI, addicts like to hang out with addicts. So it is no surprise that you would see addiction symptoms in your friends. You've already described addiction symptoms in yourself.


the best part about marijuana, based on my observations, is that its effects are far more manageable than most of the other drugs out there. its like robin williams said, god rest his soul, "warning: this stuff will make your music AWESOME and your food DELICIOUS." hahaha.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: TzarChasm

I wasn't trying to suggest it was a sure thing. I was purposely using vague wording by using words like "many", or "much more likely"; you know to suggest that I'm not trying to suggest that that is the case all the time. I just felt that was a general trend that people follow. Obviously, some people are more unscrupulous than others. That's a given. But that doesn't mean that a trend can't exist. When you were 21, would you have been more likely to buy for an 18 year old or a 16 year old?


neither. the law is the law and some dumb kid trying to get drunk isnt worth the jail time and court costs. 16 and 18 are both under the legal age when it comes to cops checking ids so both are equally likely to get my ass busted.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I'm not talking about present day you. I'm talking about 21 year old you. You know, the guy who was young and thought he was invincible to everything (the same as everyone)? I'm currently 29 and I wouldn't buy for either of them today, but back when I was 21, I would definitely had bought for an 18 year old. Especially if that person was a friend of mine, which would be likely since, like I said, people mingle in ages similar to their own.
edit on 22-10-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You are 100 % right with the pills. I am currently on the highest dose of tramadol, duloxetine and sleeping tabs also for the crps pain. At the time I would have taken anything to stop the pain I was in, but now im in invisible handcuffs. I worry if the shtf what will I do when going cold turkey and having to fend provide for my family. I tried to go off the duloxetine and my body felt it was shutting down. The sickness and the pain all over my body were unbearable. I couldn't lift my head due to the spins and had terrible shakes. I was determined to get through it but my daughter had to go in for an emergency op and I started back on them. It was literally over night I was back to working order. The worse thing about those tabs is the gp's don't even know they have side effects when coming off them.



posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The BBC had a ridiculous article about this the other day in which the title stated that cannabis impairs IQ in teenagers, but the majority of the article contained quotes from experts admitting they can't be sure, partly because it is just correlation, and other factors hadn't been considered:


"It's hard to know what causes what. Do kids do badly at school because they are smoking weed, or do they smoke weed because they're doing badly? This study suggests it is not as simple as saying cannabis is the problem," says lead researcher Claire Mokrysz, from University College London.



"People often believe that using cannabis can be very damaging to intellectual ability in the long-term, but it is extremely difficult to separate the direct effects of cannabis from other potential explanations."


It's the type of journalism you'd expect from the Daily Mail, only it's coming from the countries flagship broadcasting company, but there you go.

Teenagers' heavy IQ 'impaired' by cannabis.
edit on 22-10-2014 by twfau because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join