It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why cannabis will never be legal in the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hi all,

A few months ago I was arrested for possession on a small quantity of cannabis, 2.2 grams to be exact worth £20 and it was for personal use

So today I was in court for it, and I got a £200 fine £85 court costs and a victim surcharge of £20 even tho to me it's a victimless 'crime' so all tolled it come to £305 for possession of that tiny amount of weed for personal use, when I asked why it was so much the magistrate said it was because I worked and it's based on my income, can you believe that sh!t because I work I get hit more than a junkie on benefits??

Plus I lost a days work and had to pay £12.50 for under 3 hours of parking so it's mor into the high 400 mark this sh!t has cost me

So you see the profits they make from people like me is ridiculous and way more than they could get in taxes if it was legal which is why they will never make it legal

Our justice system is a joke

Mods after reading through this maybe it's more suited to the rant forum

edit on 22 10 2014 by Thefarmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I feel for you mate, i smoke and have never had a pull etc.. do they not want to come to your house to see if your growing ? curious .. cheers brother

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Quadlink

You're lucky then mate and I hope you never do get nicked with any

But no not for that small amout if it was more then yeh my door would have probably got took off so they could have a peek

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I nearly felt sorry for you there..

Tough @5&*, you got caught pay the fine and STFU, What makes you a better class of Junkie just because you work.
edit on 22-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I was watching Cops once (ugh... big mistake, though I didn't turn it on) and there were three black guys hemmed up on the side of the road by the officers. The officers decided that they needed to rip the car apart (I guess they smelled weed or something). They find a gram of weed stuffed in the pocket behind the passenger seat and start to demand to know who's weed it was, threatening to arrest all of them if no one copped to it. The cops were especially pressuring the driver to admit it was his even though he denied even knowing it was there. Eventually, the cops just gave up and arrested all of them.

I was FURIOUS. Just let them go with a small infraction! Why book and process them, create a ton of paperwork and tax expenses for tax payers over such a small amount of weed? It was beyond ridiculous. It occurs to me that the cops were probably trying to look tough on camera, but if you want to look tough on camera, a weed stop ISN'T the way to do it. You just come off looking like an asshole.

I feel for you OP, drug laws are HUGELY hypocritical and a giant drain on everyone but the few who profit off of them. Unfortunately those few have the ears of the people in charge, while public opinion can go stuff itself on the matter.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Have faith man. Don't let the f'ed up system get you down. This country will have little choice in a matter of years.
Once they realise how much they can make from it they'll be jumping at the chance of it becoming legal.
I'ma carry on carrying on whatever they 'think' is good for me or not.
S&F
edit on 22/10/2014 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Your complaining about being punished for breaking the law. You likely knew you were breaking the law.
I get that you don't like the restrictions on marijuana use but as of now you are guilty as charged. All I can say is do what you can to get the law changed.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

Doesn't matter how much money you end up paying for the price of a smoke.

It's the same for everything its rip of Britain of course.

Give it couple of years fella...it will be here

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Hey Bro

Sorry for your loss. Money, time dealing with BS, the insult and I could go on but I won't.... I feel for you.

I am in chronic pain due to US Army service connected problems. Been living in the UK for 30 years. I am green with envy for all those people in the US who are able to legal smoke it just to enjoy it as well as the States that are not there yet but allow medical use of Medical MJ....

I am on morphine 40 mg a day and allowed to take more when like now in the winter pain is sever! I hate the stuff. I smoked in the service carried duties that demand a Top Secret clearance (thank God there were no tests in the early 70's) but from the age of 20 I lived and worked in an able bodied world passing myself off as one. MJ was the key, went to Uni, earned a degree, received a New York Corp outside sales position in Northern Calif. Company car and expense acct. All smoking MJ. Moved here and went on to Codeine for fear of what happened to you.

I was forced into retirement by my GP who has been useless since moving here 10 years ago. Stepped up to MST Morphine. I would kill to trade my hard drugs for a soft one. I know I could manage on smoke alone and have a more happy life etc.

Ask worthless GP when Medical MJ may be the norm since Berkeley now issues Medical MJ FREE to pain people who cannot afford it. He said this will never happen because of the UK drug companies tight grip in kick backs and owned politicians.

SnF

Thank you for your story because I wondered what the penalty would be for simple possession. Now I know. I cannot believe that you were charged a victim fee. IMHO you were the victim by this system.

Anyone says you broke a law I would say that they are bloody lucky cause I am sure they are consuming liqueur at some point and that was illegal. My daddy serve time for running shine during the prohibition which this is just a modern day affair. If I were to legalize a drug alcohol would not be on the list.....

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

You lost a day's worth of wages and no jail time? I'm not even sure I would call that "illegal".

Here in the states, they shoot your family, drag you out of your house, and then you end up in prison. I would love to live in a nation where victimless crimes were "punished" with what essentially amounts to a ha-ha-we-caught-you-tax.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Basically, ever since my friend got Medical Marijuana in California He hasn't been in trouble with the law once, before that
he had behavior issues(possibly psych drugs) that would result in incarceration or psych hold. He pretty much went from being anxious all the time(on psych drugs), to a nice relaxed guy(stoned).
edit to add: alcohol was a factor(problem solved) as well.
edit on 22-10-2014 by nrd101 because: i edited it ok?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

If you had to pay a victim fee that means you were grassed up pal

And if this is your first offence you should have been cautioned and let go for 2G!? I think they really did you over there to be honest mate...

You got a solicitor??
edit on 22-10-2014 by PhoenixFreeman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I nearly felt sorry for you there..

Tough @5&*, you got caught pay the fine and STFU, What makes you a better class of Junkie just because you work.

Are you kidding me? Junkie because I smoke weed? Get a life mate

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Man I hate that show basically showing the public how the U.S. Is becoming a police state and they lap it up

The cops on it overreact to the extreme sometimes

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SilentE

I'm praying for the day politicians relise it pal and I can walk into a shop and get me some high grade legally

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer
a victim surcharge of £20

LOL

WTF?

Who the victim?

Is that not you? Do you get the £20 back? I mean the only person effected is you!

Anyway pot wont be legal for a long time as the rod up our government's butt has a rod up its butt.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: IceHappy

Wow I feel for you mate, that morphine is one nasty drug I hope one day soon you can get MMJ over here to help you

And the sad thing is their is hundreds of thousands in the same boat as you and all probably addicted to pain pills when a natural remedy is illegal

Don't make no sense at all

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

In all fairness it was the second time been caught 1st was for a g that's it and got a years conditional discharge

And yeh got meself a brief and a pretty good 1 at that

Myself I think the magistrate was a racist as she was a Muslim

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Here in the states, they shoot your family, drag you out of your house, and then you end up in prison.

Lol, thanks for the laugh.

Last week I was on the driveway washing my truck and medicating when our sheriff drives down the street and pulls up asks how things were going and if I had a valid mmj card, I told him yes but it's in the house do you need me to get it for you he said no but do you have any cold water
I opened up my driveway cooler handed him a water he said thanks and have a great day.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

This is like the only freedom I envy you guys on.

In fact there are only 2 freedoms I see in the US that we dont have. Guns and MJ

You can keep your gun but I want your MJ !!!!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join