It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Tuna In the Can!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ok, sounds weird, right? But, seriously, this looks absolutely delish. Now I have to go scavenge up a can of tuna!
SMOKING TUNA IN A CAN

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Awesome! I'm going to try this within the week- love this kind of stuff

I imagine it would work just as well for canned salmon - yuck, I don't love canned salmon, but I do haz love for smoked salmon (even in a can).
A glimpse into a new world of ghetto-gourmet has just been lended unto me.

xox
edit on 22-10-2014 by kissy princess because: more xox

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MickeyMouga

How very cool !!!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
S&F OP!

I haven't seen this done for years and had totally forgotten about it. I'll be doing this next time I'm in the field.

Rev

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Another neat technique I've learned that isn't nearly half as cool as this, but nonetheless just as 'scratch-gourmet' is to
1) Take equal parts, tea (whatever kind), rice, and brown sugar and mix them up in a fire-proof basin (like a cast-iron skillet, pyrex casserole dish, or your helmet or something).
2) Cover it with foil and poke several holes in the foil with a toothpick (or you could even use a fire-proof screen mesh if you wanna be super-scratch)
3)On top of this, grease it down with some lipid that has a high smoking point (like canola oil, peanut oil, etc) then place your fish or whatever that you'd like to smoke in even strips all along the area of greased, perforated foil, then generously salt, pepper & season yr protein.
4) Cover the whole shebang with more foil (or your lid if you happen to be using decent cook-ware, but try to make that sucker air-tight, tho some smoke is going to naturally escape and will set off fire alarms, so do this outside, or set your stove-top fan to 'high.'
5) Then set that f*cker on a flame to smoke for about 15-20 minutes.
Ancient Chinese cooking secret to smok'd fish.

*caramelized and burnt sugar is a b*tch to clean, so another method that would work amost as well would be to take yr tea, sugar and rice mixture and stick it into soft-ball sized balls of foil, then perforate them all over with a tooth-pick, or fork or whatever - but these will take longer to burn and start smoking.
It's nice to talk recipes before work. Have a great day, all!

xox

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
My brain - always looking for alternatives - wonders if coffee filters wouldn't work as well or better.

Yes, I think I'm gonna try it with coffee filters. Just 'cause I can.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
love it ... gotta try it ... thanks OP S&F

tired now tho ... night

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I tried smoking tuna in a can once but it was too hard to keep lit.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Yes, I think I'm gonna try it with coffee filters. Just 'cause I can.

Firstly, great post, so easy and I looove smoked fish.

incoserv, I suggest you try one with toilet paper and one with a coffee filter at the same time because if the coffee filter idea doesn't work and you are left with a can of tuna covered in ashes, then you are going to be really pissed not being able to have smoked tuna now that your senses have been teased. I mean, talk about torture. If it has been a bad enough day, it might be enough to send someone postal. Just sayin.

edit on 23/10/14 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MickeyMouga

This is one of my favorite ways to eat canned when out in my woods. (Doesn't work with tuna in water only oil). Afterwards the tuna is warm and slighty smoked. Definitely better than cold.
edit on 23-10-2014 by Virole because: (no reason given)

top topics

join