It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MuldersGirl
a reply to: Vasa Croe

As far as I know, he cancelled the meeting shortly after the attack, not before.

Yeah....my thought is the meeting itself was the reason for the attack happening today.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Yes...I looked for your post to reply to, that you were right, but I got distracted.

No problem. There is so much information coming through the news station right now, I wasn't sure if I heard it correctly or not.

Where I live, you cannot even go to the local court house without passing through metal detectors and armed deputies.

Heck, some of the schools even have metal detectors and "resource officers". Basically cops that stay at the school all day.

link   
a reply to: Rumrunner

Their latest tweet says that the gunman shot - soldier wounded.

I think everyone jumped the gun when that reporter from NYT (was it?) said Condolences to the family.

EDIT: It appears you are right - my bad

RIP

edit on 22-10-2014 by auroraaus because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
Listen, when a religion has gone rogue, what do you do? The Muslim religion is the ONLY one that has this type of radicalism in the 21st century. All others which have gone through this have grown up. Not this one. So what is your solution to this? Hold hands and sing kumbaya and resign yourself to a country of a majority being held down by a few just because you're too afraid to offend someone?

Again, you know nothing about the motives of those behind this.

Anders Behring Breivik was believed to be an entire cell of Islamic extremists when his bomb went off in Norway. The media were all over it claiming all kinds of things, and there were PLENTY of people on ATS immediately making the ASSUMPTION that it was Islamic extremism.

And what the hell are you on about, a religion "going rogue"?
Do you also blame ALL CHRISTIANS when a CHRISTIAN middle class teenager shoots up his school? Do you also then start screaming about all Christians, shutting down churches and closing Christian schools? Should all Christians be deemed a "threat" when one person who follows the religion kills people?

You are making no sense, you are making extremely simplistic connections in order to find someone to blame for the actions of an extreme minority of people using a religious belief as an excuse.

It's people like you who end up putting countries in the position the USA is now in, with nutty right-wing crazies screaming about banning religious groups, putting whole communities of people on watch lists, scanning everyone who seems "tanned" and assuming immediately that Muslim = terrorist.

Whether you recognize it or not, your attitude is simplistic in the extreme, and very bigoted.
edit on 22-10-2014 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Caucus was informed the guard died of his injuries. Do svidaniya, tovarisch... RIP

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

This is getting intense its time for boots on ground, we got to bring the fight to these idiots.

Is America going to Invade Canada now....Any Excuse.

Yeah last time America tried that it didn't go so well, ended up with DC being burnt to the ground

Take that shi# somewhere else dude.

Emoticon and all.

edit on 10/22/2014 by TiedDestructor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Rocker and FlySolo... can you guys tone it down a bit? Or do this private message? it's getting in the way of news...

link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Rocker2013

No, we should WAIT UNTIL WE KNOW THE FACTS.

Yeah we should.

News sucks, and first reports are often WRONG.

wow 2 stars from me in 1 month! I cant believe im agreeing with you on something AGAIN!

link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
a reply to: TheMainEvent

He's not dead - it's been retracted by the reporter.

A parliametary guard was one of the wounded.

CBC is confirming that the first soldier has died. RIP and condolences to his family. He was a reservist from Hamilton and his unit was standing guard this week at the memorial. We have not heard his name though.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Bbc confirm soldier has died

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Horrible and terribly sad...

WTH is going on in Canada lately? Is this an organized effort or copycats?

Condolences to the soldier, his friends and family...Sad...
edit on 22-10-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: aboutface

Horrible and terribly sad...

WTH is going on in Canada lately? Is this an organized effort or copycats?

Sad...

It would seem organized being that there are multiple suspects.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Haven't there been other attacks elsewhere in Canada this week? I'm just wondering if they're all related.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yes, first reports are often wrong. They are also often full of real truth pre-coverup and cannot be discounted as valueless in their entirety.

a reply to: Jennyfrenzy
Canadian officials are currently saying there is no evidence that they two attacks are related.
edit on 10/22/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy

Haven't there been other attacks elsewhere in Canada this week? I'm just wondering if they're all related.

Yes...a muslim extremist ran over 2 soldiers then was shot by police.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheMainEvent
Confirmed: The Soldier shot this morning at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has died from his wounds. R.I.P

Yes, RIP.

So sad.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Yeah yesterday actually

globalnews.ca...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor
[qu
Take that shi# somewhere else dude.

Emoticon and all.

If you cant find humour in dark time you will just go mad.

Anyway there was point to the comment.

Dont piss Canada off.

IF this attack was linked to anyone or group then there will be hell to pay.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: Ridhya
a reply to: neo96
I dont disagree, methinks muslim extremists have a tendency to fight to the death, not flee, I was just noting the colours and recent events (Harpers push against ISIS) coincide well

Muslim extremists have a tendency to go after civilians.

Not governments.

That is their standard operating procedure.

IT's terrorism 101.

You mean western government sponsored terrorism 101. Is the government going to suffer for allowing terrorism under their watch? No, they are going to get more power over the people that suffer from terrorism and the government just gives themselves more and more protection leaving civilians wide open for attack because an attack on a civilian means more power for governments over civilians.

I would say it is time we start protecting ourselves from our government but it seems we are coming to the point where any "radical" expression will be interpreted as a possible future terror act. I don't want to go to jail over a accused pre-crime.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Huh. CBC says 4 days ago CSIS director was requesting more resources as they didnt have the ability to tackle terrorism properly.

Canada’s spy service says judicial rulings are causing it to lose track of terrorism suspects and new surveillance powers are urgently needed.

My mother told me CSIS was supposed to be undergoing a complete overhaul soon.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join