It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Party in Georgia Uses Ferguson Incident to 'Get Out The Vote'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

So you listed 6 cities. 5 of them are blue.

See what I"m saying. Thanks for proving our point though.

DC -- Blue
New Orleans -- Currently blue
Detroit -- Blue
Flint -- Blue
Richmond -- Blue
Birmingham -- Red

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Voter ID is NOT voter suppression no matter what left wing manipulating rhetoric tries to claim.

AGAIN - you still haven't answered the question - is the Democratic Party in Georgia putting out an ACCURATE pamphlet? Will racial hell break out without Democrats getting in office? You don't think the democratic party is manipulating and misusing the black voting block?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

So you listed 6 cities. 5 of them are blue.

See what I"m saying. Thanks for proving our point though.

DC -- Blue
New Orleans -- Currently blue
Detroit -- Blue
Flint -- Blue
Richmond -- Blue
Birmingham -- Red

~Tenth

DC (D)
New Orleans (red state)
Detroit (D)
Flint (D)
Richmond (red state)
Birmingham (red state)

1. Tennessee > Violent crimes per 100,000: 643.6 > Poverty rate: 17.9% > Pct. of population with bachelor's degree or higher: 24.3% > Property crimes per 100,000: 3,371.4 (10th highest)

Last year Tennessee had the highest crime rate in the country.

2. Nevada > Violent crimes per 100,000: 607.6 > Poverty rate: 16.4% > Pct. of population with bachelor's degree or higher: 22.4% > Property crimes per 100,000: 2,809.4 (23rd highest)

Nevada was number 2

3. Alaska > Violent crimes per 100,000: 603.2 > Poverty rate: 10.1% > Pct. of population with bachelor's degree or higher: 28.0% > Property crimes per 100,000: 2,739.4 (24th lowest)

Alaska was number 3
USAToday

Its disingenuous to compare cities with states crime stats...the higher the population the more crime.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
One has to understand the Georgia political landscape to have a clear understanding of the political games that get played here. Georgia is a Red state still very rampant with corruption and "Good ole' boy" attitudes and relationships within it's leadership. An example, our Governor resigned from Congress rather than face ethics violations that profited him and his family greatly.

One only need Google "Georgia refuses Federal" to get a taste of how things run around here.

Meanwhile, as the state is run Red, literally... The people who are voting are in the midst of change. Nearly forty thousand have dropped from the previous voting lists, being replaced by nearly two hundred thousand others who are much more racially diversified.

Considering that the population in Georgia is roughly 55% white, with most population centers here having a much lower white demographic - change was and is bound to happen sooner or later.

As for the fear mongering tactics used in this case? Sadly fuel on a fire that has never fully gone out in this state. Racism and racist agendas are alive and well, on both sides of the issue. This particular campaign is simply evidence of the smoldering ashes.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

No no no, those are RED STATES but those CITIES are run by democrats.

State legislature has very little to do with the daily operation of any given city in the state.

Its disingenuous to compare cities with states crime stats...the higher the population the more crime.

No it's not, because those statistics are done on a PER CAPITA BASIS. Which means the difference in population is already factored in when they do the math.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yes I Do the republican party is doing its best to limit minority rights, the right to vote, the right to marry, and they are also attempting to limit the rights of women. So yes I agree with the pamphlet.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Voter ID is NOT voter suppression no matter what left wing manipulating rhetoric tries to claim.

AGAIN - you still haven't answered the question - is the Democratic Party in Georgia putting out an ACCURATE pamphlet? Will racial hell break out without Democrats getting in office? You don't think the democratic party is manipulating and misusing the black voting block?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Voter ID laws are an attempt to suppress votes. Why else would you want to implement an ID law when voter fraud is a statistically rare occurrence?

On topic: Bad form by the democrats here. It's shameful.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
As the old saying goes never let a good tragedy go to waste. Both parties pull on the heart strings in their attempts to get votes.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Yup.

The only way Voter ID isn't a vote suppression tool is if the state takes it upon themselves to draw up all the ID's free of charge and pass them out to eligible voters.

But even that's a slippery slope. I understand needing to show proof of residency, but we have voter registration cards here in Canada to prove that.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I was under the impression that the political leadership in Ferguson and surrounding areas along with state leadership was democrat.

Was I mistaken?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think anything to wake the population up to get out and vote and to educate themselves on politics and the state of our country at the local state and federal level is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

We have voter registration cards here in Hellinois too. You register to vote and you get a card, it's really that simple. Not sure why folks get upset about having to show it?

Last election, some lady freaked out while being asked for her registration card, screaming about racism and how whitey didn't have to show his card. The election judge explained that we were neighbors and she didn't need me to conform who I was. It was comical...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Yup.

The only way Voter ID isn't a vote suppression tool is if the state takes it upon themselves to draw up all the ID's free of charge and pass them out to eligible voters.

But even that's a slippery slope. I understand needing to show proof of residency, but we have voter registration cards here in Canada to prove that.

~Tenth

Same here. We have voter registration cards.

The voter ID cards is a bad idea not matter what. Either we pass a voter ID law and require people to pay for an ID to vote, suppressing voters, or the state has to provide the ID's free of charge and that's just more cost to the taxpayers.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

The bigger problem is the jerry mandering of districts if you ask me.

And I find it funny that that Voter ID legislation has been focused in areas where the incumbents are likely to loose if the other side gets the vote out.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Hysterically funny.

The Georgia Democrats are trying to get Georgia black voters to vote Democrat based on something that happened in Ferguson Missouri (and we don't fully know exactly what happened) ... and yet the black democrats in Ferguson Missouri are on a campaign to get the democrats out and replace them with white republicans because ... and I paraphrase ... the black voters feel their automatic democrat vote has been taken for granted.

Washington Post - Black Voters in St. Louis County Direct Their Anger at the Democratic Party

Many African Americans in Ferguson and across St. Louis County, angered over their leaders’ response to the fatal shooting, say they will be taking their outrage to the ballot box and voting against a Democratic Party that has long been their automatic choice.

Many African Americans in Ferguson and across St. Louis County, angered over their leaders’ response to the fatal shooting, say they will be taking their outrage to the ballot box and voting against a Democratic Party that has long been their automatic choice.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Redistricting is one of the issues that is problematic in Atlanta. When any area goes a bit too blue, the lines get redrawn. It's so obvious as to be painful to watch and fully expected by anyone who has lived here for more than a few years.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I think some are surprised to see these tactics from Democrats, but in my opinion, they've taken their cue from the GOP.

Are they effective? Probably. That's the idea. GOP tactics (jerry-mandering, voter suppression, lying, etc.) are well-known tactics from the right that have been effective in the past. And the right has also started to get their voters out early, taking a cue from the Left.

Do I believe Porter? Yes, I think what he's saying is true. But that doesn't mean he's totally honest and open. Far from it - the Left is NOT innocent. They're doing all they can to scare the populace and get the vote. Fear is the greatest motivator. It's been a government/election tactic since this country began.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is not a tactic that is exclusive to either party. Welcome to the nastiness of election politics of the 21st Century.
edit on 10/22/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

So what?

Ever hear of a little thing called the Southern Strategy?

The right has been using far worse blatantly racist tactics to "motivate" it's base to get out and vote for half a century.

Hypocrites gonna hypocrite.

In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to a Republican Party strategy of gaining political support for certain candidates in the Southern United States by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3][4][5]

Though the "Solid South" had been a longtime Democratic Party stronghold due to the Democratic Party's defense of slavery before the American Civil War and segregation for a century thereafter, many white Southern Democrats stopped supporting the party following the civil rights plank of the Democratic campaign in 1948 (triggering the Dixiecrats), the African-American Civil Rights Movement, the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965, and desegregation.

The strategy was first adopted under future Republican President Richard Nixon and Republican Senator Barry Goldwater[6][7] in the late 1960s.[8] The strategy was successful in winning the five formerly Confederate states of the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina.[9][10]) for Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential election, but he won in only one other state, Arizona, his home state. The Southern Strategy also yielded five formerly Confederate states (Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee) in Richard Nixon's successful 1968 campaign for the presidency. It contributed to the electoral realignment of some Southern states to the Republican Party, but at the expense of losing more than 90 percent of black voters to the Democratic Party. As the twentieth century came to a close, the Republican Party began attempting to appeal to black voters again, though with little success.[8]

In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the NAACP for ignoring the black vote and exploiting racial conflicts.[11][12]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 22000000am10America/Chicago2014Wednesday20141114 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: duaneology
So what?

Yes .. so what .. who cares that the dems are using scare tactics to get the black voting block. As long as they vote for the democratic party it's all good, eh?

The right has been ...

I find it funny when people deflect from the topic by claiming things like ... well the GOP did it first.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join