It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravity, law of attraction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Is gravity the cosmic reflection of the law of attraction and electro magnetism?

Just a random thought I had I have no idea if this is being discussed.

Been having a creative spell lately so I'm just throwing random fishing lines into the cosmic mirror and seeing what comes back.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
how did you come to this conclusion

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is from the Kybalion:

And so it is with the various forms of Energy. Science teaches that Light, Heat, Magnetism and Electricity are but forms of vibratory motion connected in some way with, and probably emanating from the Ether.
Science does not as yet attempt to explain the nature of the phenomena known as Cohesion, which is the principle of Molecular Attraction; nor Chemical Affinity, which is the principle of Atomic Attraction; nor Gravitation (the greatest mystery of the three), which is the principle of attraction by which every particle or mass of Matter is bound to every other particle or mass.
These three forms of Energy are not as yet understood by science, yet the writers incline to the opinion that these too are manifestations of some form of vibratory energy, a fact which the Hermetists have held and taught for ages past.

It is interesting to view gravity in the context of "levels" of Vibratory attraction.

Atoms bonding into molecules by Chemical Affinity,
Molecules bonding to matter by Cohesion,
And matter and masses of matter being bound to every other matter or mass of matter by Gravity!
edit on 21-10-2014 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ecapsretuo

What's kybalion?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

www.kybalion.org...

The Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece by Three Initiates "The lips of wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding"
The Yogi Publication Society Masonic Temple Chicago, Ill. Copyright 1908 (1912) Yogi Publication Society

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Does it go into what has "influence" over this force that CHOOSES what attraction is and means?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Basically, the Hermetics, view the operative force ultimately as unknowable, but for the sake of philosophy, label it THE ALL.

All thinkers, in all lands and in all times, have assumed the necessity for postulating the existence of this Substantial Reality. All philosophies worthy of the name have been based upon this thought.
Men have given to this Substantial Reality many names — some have called it by the term of Deity (under many titles); others have called it "The Infinite and Eternal Energy"; others have tried to call it "Matter" — but all have acknowledged its existence.
It is self-evident — it needs no argument. In these lessons we have followed the example of some of the world's greatest thinkers, both ancient and modern the Hermetic Masters — and have called this Underlying Power — this Substantial Reality — by the Hermetic name of "THE ALL," which term we consider the most comprehensive of the many terms applied by Man to THAT which transcends names and terms.

That's the ultimate causation, and all other forces follow. The whole of hermetic philosophy, I think, explores that which influences, or causes, and especially the mechanics or means by which THE ALL does so.

I have seen Yogic and esoteric philosophies that suggest we can look occultly into the HOW of the Universe's dynamics, but WHY, to even the highest minds, remains a Great Mystery.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I'm actually surprised you understood the question the first go around.

This is common thought on hermeticism

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The claim from the Kybalion that science has not attempted to explain the principles of molecular cohesion, atomic attraction, or gravity, is completely incorrect. Science explains both molecular cohesion, the force that holds molecules together, and atomic attraction, which basically is just chemical bonding, by means of electric forces. Gravity is explained by space-time, the very fabric of the universe, having curvature due to the presence of mass. And theories of this nature have actually worked extremely well at explaining the universe around us. They've succeeded in explaining all natural phenomena much better than the majority of alternative theories, thus why they are believed to be correct. Of course the theory of gravity is correct, but it is not complete, but they are on the right track.

I am not opposed to the idea of a law of attraction, because I am quite convinced that there is much science cannot explain, and that science is outright incorrect where some things are concerned, but ancient belief systems of this nature do not stand up to scrutiny. Once you can disprove a portion of the claims it becomes obvious that the overall doctrine is not in itself cohesive, meaning that the belief system is fallible. With science one would expect this, as it builds through experimentation and observation over time, while mystical doctrines claim to have all the answers outright. What I mean is that disproving a portion of that doctrine means that all of the ideas are not infallible, and thus how can one place any more faith in them than they can in science, since science does a much better job at explaining things?

As to the original question posed, which was "Is gravity the cosmic reflection of the law of attraction and electro magnetism," I have to admit that I have no real clue what this even means, lol. I suppose your idea stems from the fact that both electromagnetism and gravity are forces of attraction, which then somehow is related to the law of attraction. The way I understand the law of attraction is that one can influence, or attract, things in their lives by their thought process. I think it has been well established that the thought process can have an actual physical effect on the body that houses the mind, but that is a bit different from having a physical effect on matter outside of the body. One would naturally ask why this is the case, and I think the best answer is because the mind is physically connected to the body. It is a part of it. Of course there could be some non-physical connection between the mind and external matter, and I do not think it is impossible by any means. But I'm having trouble trying to find a connection between the mind and gravity or electromagnetism, as these forces are constant and predictable. We know how to produce them, and how they will behave once they are produced, whereas we have zero clue regarding how or why a person's thoughts could influence the world around us.

There is no direct evidence to even suggest it is occurring, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, as they say. So the more I think about it the more confident I am in stating that if the law of attraction exists, that it acts independently of forces like gravity and electromagnetism, otherwise shouldn't we be able to influence such things simply utilizing thoughts? Unless you mean that the combination of everyone's thoughts, meaning every person on the planet, is somehow producing external effects that we view as constants, like gravity. But this would mean that such effects shouldn't have existed, or should have been different, if people were not present. There was a time that there was no life on earth, and the earliest forms of life were simple micro-organisms, and so it is difficult to conclude that thought processes had external effects since there was nothing to produce the thoughts in the first place.

One thought experiment, or line of thinking, that could circumvent this difficulty would be the idea that there is some consciousness that exists "somewhere," and that affects or generates these external forces like gravity, and that this consciousness existed long before the universe came into existence, or at the very least before life came into existence within the universe. Then it could be argued that life is just an extension of this "source" consciousness and that all life is somehow connected to it, non-physically, or perhaps physically but in a manner we have yet to identify and understand. I mean there could be an ether, although I doubt it, and it could transmit particles and information that we cannot even perceive at present. It need not be an ether however, but it could still be a physical particle of some sort that is doing the transmitting. There could even be particles that transmit information that could never be physically detected, although that would be a nightmare for physicists...to reach the end of the road only to find that you can go no further, meaning we could never fully understand the universe in which we live.

Anyway, back to what I was saying, hypothetically there could be a source consciousness that was responsible for generating all of our fundamental forces, or the universe as a whole, and life in the universe is somehow connected to this source, and therefore it could be argued that our thoughts influence fundamental forces like gravity and electromagnetism. I want to reiterate that I do not believe any of this, rather I am just trying to figure out how I could make your ideas work, if I even understood what you meant. I am not certain that I am taking your meaning correctly, and if not I apologize.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

If thoughts don't influence the world around us then how did we get these computers and Internet and everything?
They all start as ideas you know

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I'd venture to say, yes it's connected.

This universe gives us the illusion of separateness, like duality, in a Universe that has no beginning or end.
Everything is interconnected

So your idea of the law of attraction being tied to gravity is not a silly one, atleast not to me

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

there was a guy on david letterman once..
did all sorts of bubble tricks
(dishwashing liquid & bent wire; blowing bubbles)
you might like to hear the things he had to say
(maybe it's on youtube or something?)

oh, and cool topic

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

If thoughts don't influence the world around us then how did we get these computers and Internet and everything?

By using our hands to make tools to make these computers and internet and everything.
In other words...work.

You can think about stuff as much as you want but until you do something...
edit on 10/22/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They all start as ideas you know

i think he got that part
now he's gonna come back & repeat himself
then you're probably gonna repeat yourself
and..
ah, screw it.. not my problem
but i am interested to see where it goes from here..?
/popcorn

..something about first observing a falling apple?

kittens!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Pretty much a spirit thing actually. Birds of a feather flock together. Our matrix has upside down rules, so opposites attract magnetically, this in order to create clusters of magnetic bucky balls to create matter in a holographic type stage dressing universe, designed like a duality. But spirit drives the car in the movie we're in, and its like unto like.

There is nothing worse than the gravity of murder, like a black star, dwarf star, black hole, and our job is to lighten up, with LOVE.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Dude, the Kybalion was written in the beginning of the 20th century. Referencing outdated science doesn't invalidate anything in this case, unless these "new" discoveries is anathema to the 7 axiomatic laws and on that I can't comment.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
That's a good insight, op.

The world around us provides clues and examples of different principles at work in the universe.Studious observation of Mother Nature and the way she organizes life can resemble a kind of poetry in motion.It can inspire one to look deeper and reflect on the qualities that make up all things good.

What happens on the outside is just part of life.Our own inner natures are subject to her laws too.The unique hallmarks of humanity suggest that we are more then mere mammals.Our higher faculties, like self-consciousness, creativity, and reason provide tools to take a closer look at the way we order our lives.

On the outside, gravity appears to play a key role in the ordering of the heavenly bodies, large and small.It's influence extending to everything physical and perhaps further depending on how one's paradigm.Philosophers throughout the ages have encouraged man to practice the virtues of various kinds.I believe here lies the key to unlocking our own personal magnetism to help practice attracting and ordering the material world around us...
edit on 13-5-2015 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

What's kybalion?

A book that will find you when you are ready. It is a condensed version of Hermeticism and contains nothing really new. It just points one in the right direction and away from all the new age nonsense. Personally speaking, it was a book I stumbled across in my teens.

All is mind.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Kybalion is akin to Coles Notes for mysticism.

ETA: en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-5-2015 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Does it go into what has "influence" over this force that CHOOSES what attraction is and means?

Yes.

All is mind.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, but the actual outcome doesn't just precedes thoughts. Like you say you have to build, use your hands, gather stuff and build a computer.
Before lifting your hand, you first have to put certain things in motion and 'thoughts' are one of them.
Even if you don't do anything, that doesn't matter, everything you eventually do involved some sort of prior thinking process.
But what are thoughts anyway, is it part of the action, before reaction?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join