It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having fun with our cat...again

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
To all my fellow ATS cat lovers.
I'd like to share a short story with you and see what you think.

My husband and I have had our cat Izzy since she was born. She's 2,5 years old now. I know her moods, her likes/ dislikes, and can tell by the different sounds she makes whether she demands us to feed her, pet her, or clean her litter box.

But a lot of times she gets chatty, and I've recently started having some fun with it. My husband thinks I'm nuts, yet he can't stop laughing when I do this.

So sometimes when Izzy walks up to me, sits down and starts "chatting" with me, I like to have a little fun and answer her as if I understood her cat language just fine.

Izzy: miao, miao, miao-miao, miaooo, miao.

Me: Tell me about it!

Izzy: (either more excitedly or more annoyed, I can't tell) miao, miaooo, miao, miao miao mioa, miao?

Me: You don't say!

Izzy: miao, MIAO,miao, miao!

Me: And then what ?

Izzy: miao, miao, miaoooo, miao-miao.

This can go on for sometimes up to 5 minutes! Then after a while I either give her a treat, or she sleeps on her favorite pillow, or she wanders off.

Has this happened to anyone? Do you have a chatty cat?

I have not the slightest idea what she gets so chatty about. She's so calm when she does it too, and kinda serious as far as I can tell. Does she tell me all the things she saw during the day while she was staring out the window?
Is she complaining about the food?
Would she like a softer pillow?
Is the answer not 42?

I have no clue. Nevertheless it sure is fun to listen to her making all these different sounds, like she is really talking to me.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that if I don't answer her when she starts chatting with me, she starts knocking things off the coffee table (my phone, my keys, the remote, etc.).

I have no idea where she got that from .

She knows how to get my attention.

Anyways I'd love to read your chatty cat stories.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Where's the video?
This sounds like fun.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

You know what?

It is fun!
No video, please.
I know I sound like a complete nutter when we do this. I can barely keep myself from laughing whilst answering her.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

You know what?

It is fun!
No video, please.
I know I sound like a complete nutter when we do this. I can barely keep myself from laughing whilst answering her.

Cat's + YT = internet sensation!
You'll be rich!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Nahh, I think Grumpy cat still dominates the youtube cat channels.

But thanks for the tip. I'd have to get a YT account first.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Your Izzy is adorable!!

I have a chatty cat and her name is Izzy too!!! She's the most vocal cat I've ever had, by far.

My husband and I do the same thing you do, ask her questions and she answers back, a lot!! We have full on conversations with her, it's so cute.

She has all sorts of different meows for different needs or wants. I know when her food dish needs refilling because it's always a quick "ma" with a little hop, lol!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Wow, what a coincidence!

And your Izzy is a beauty!!!

Maybe our Izzys are special.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this then.
I feel better now.
Thanks

Yes, she does make different sounds depending on what she wants.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I have had chatty cats, and still do, but the most impressive was Maxie, who sadly passed away 2 years ago at the age of 19 (no photos at present because this is a new pc and I haven't transferred them). Anyway, he made 4 clearly distinct sounds that said everything a cat ever needs to say-Me, Out, Now, and Ham.

When we called him in he would run across the garden shouting 'me.me, me'. When I opened the fridge it would be 'ham, ham, me, ham, now'. When he wanted to go out it would be 'out, out, me, out, out, now,' and so on. I've still got 3 cats but I miss him a lot.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lawman27

hahahaha

Your late Maxie reminds me of Garfield.

And a belated sorry for your loss. My pets have always been treated like a member of our family, and your Maxie was probably too. It's hard to say good bye to them.

Yes, our cat makes the short 'ma' sound too, and also for food, how interesting is that?
Could that be their word for food?

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have a 10 year old human male named Izzy and sometimes he won't shut up either!

Our tom cat Rogue is the biggest bully on Earth. He greets you as you get out of the car from 3 houses down yelling at you running to the door an does not stop yelling until you handle his demands. Groceries in hand, he doesn't care, he must have milk now, or fresh food now(like he forgets he got fresh food an hour ago), even if it's just you acting like you are feeding him again(which works). He doesn't care, as long as you are doing something for him.

They say dogs have masters, cat's have pets.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I've had two chatty cats in my life.

The first was officially named Tommy, but he got the nickname Belly Bone. He talked constantly and made an astounding range of vocal sounds, and you could carry on a convo with him in either human speak or cat speak. He always had to have the last word, too. He used to fetch, but only the tops of 2-liter pop bottles. He'd yow away around the cap in his mouth the whole way back. And, like the other cat, he also said "HAM!" He could smell ham from anywhere in the house and would come running screaming "HAM, HAM, HAAAAM!" He passed away two years after I went off to college.

My other chatty boy was AC, which stood for Attitude Cat. He was a black and white tuxedo who had a black triangle patch on his nose that gave him permanent sneer look. Hence, the name. He had a really high pitched, loud voice. His range wasn't as impressive as Belly's, but his personality made up for it. He was my bestest bud, and about the only cat I've ever had who knew when I was sick and would empathize. He treated me completely different. He also was the sort of cat who never met a stranger, and never seemed intimidated by the situation, even if you took him out his home. He was leash trained and we took him on walks outside on occasion. He passed away about four years ago now.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
I have a 10 year old human male named Izzy and sometimes he won't shut up either!

Our tom cat Rogue is the biggest bully on Earth. He greets you as you get out of the car from 3 houses down yelling at you running to the door an does not stop yelling until you handle his demands. Groceries in hand, he doesn't care, he must have milk now, or fresh food now(like he forgets he got fresh food an hour ago), even if it's just you acting like you are feeding him again(which works). He doesn't care, as long as you are doing something for him.

They say dogs have masters, cat's have pets.

Oh gosh, I do that too!!! (Pretending to pour her fresh food)

Izzy likes to have fresh food in her bowl at nearly all times, so sometimes I too just get the box out, and pretend to pour some more food for her. (Whilst I only put just a few pieces there for the smell.) Then she eats.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sorry for your loss dear Ketsuko.
Your cat could fetch? How awesome is that!

I taught mine to follow commands like : come, stay, food.
( I grew up with dogs, so I taught our cat as if she were a dog too.)

She loves to play tug-o-war with me. I have some strings we use just for that purpose.

They are playful little things.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
My cat is 'chatty' when I get home from work and I talk back telling her to sling her hook if her meow is too demanding for food from me, this is often followed by a loud Psshht! noise and advice to move out and go catch mice if she doesn't like how I roll.
She acts all moody for a bit then comes creeping back with jumping headbutts to me knees or clawing a nest on my lap.
Once enough fake love has been shown I'll feed her in the yard and she either disappears for the night and following day, or comes in when I go to bed and sleeps by my feet.

I don't own the cat, she was a crazy stray when I first met her, still no collar or chip, and she is free to blag a meal or a bed wherever she likes, I also buy her dog food as it's often cheaper, but I won't comply with her demands and she knows it...and even with disappearing acts of days or weeks in the 'promised land' elsewhere over many years now, it is always my place she turns up when a bit too hungry and thin, or needing a few ticks removing lol

I don't get the 'owned by a cat' thing myself, mine is an arrangement where she shows me fake love, and I provide a safe place and food in return...but if you don't like the food then catch your own or find some other mug to rinse off instead.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Cats don't meow to each other very often unless still a kitten, it's a thing they learned by being domesticated to people. Cats are one of the only self domesticated animals present in our society.

Think on it for a bit...how long does it take a 4-5 year old person to begin understanding language? And if they were to only learn things useful to their world view ... due to whatever. Same thing.

My animals are very familiar, we chat all the time.

My wife and I refer to them as fur babies.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Treespeaker

Cats don't meow to each other very often unless still a kitten, it's a thing they learned by being domesticated to people. Cats are one of the only self domesticated animals present in our society.

Think on it for a bit...how long does it take a 4-5 year old person to begin understanding language? And if they were to only learn things useful to their world view ... due to whatever. Same thing.

My animals are very familiar, we chat all the time.

My wife and I refer to them as fur babies.

Cheers

Thanks for the food for thought.
Fur babies, lol.

To: grainofsand

Oh, yes, and how demanding they can be. Mine won't stop saying 'ma,ma,ma', until I open her can of food when I get home from work.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

You know what?

It is fun!
No video, please.

Video or the cat said nothing.
Just sayin.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
seems to me your cat is mocking you

actually I will edit this a little ..

its not your cat your it´s humans
edit on 21-10-2014 by aightism2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I can dig it. Animals are very smart.

Our 2 cats have different sounds they make as a call for each member of our family. Unfortunately, when they say my name, it's just as annoying as when Stewie says Lois's name over and over and over again on Family Guy. LOL! Bless their little hearts.
It really does sound like "mommy".

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I had one cat who would make different meowing sounds and I would try to mimic her. We would both go on and on and on. Finally I'd say, "I have no idea what we're talking about." She was a funny cat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join