It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitsubishi Looks to the North West.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation is soon to take it's regional jet (MRJ) on it's first maiden flight in the early part of 2015. This will be the first airliner to be designed and built in Japan since the 1960's.
Once it gets to the air the next big step for the jet will be certification and testing, something the Mitsubishi Corp. sees as an issue if performed in Japan. Japanese authorities haven't certified an aircraft since around 1999 and that was for a helicopter.
Bearing this in mind Mitsubishi has signed a letter of intent with Aerospace Testing Engineering & Certification, a Seattle based company that specializes in just that sort of thing.

The Seattle-based company provides flight testing, data analysis and FAA certification services for aircraft manufacturers. Mitsubishi has also said that test modules such as envelope expansion, system tests, performance tests and icing tests will be conducted at Grant County International airport in the US state of Washington.

“In Mitsubishi we have no experience in certification except me. I was involved in the [MU-300] Diamond [private jet] certification, but that is just one person,” says Kawai. “In the US, however, they have a lot of local experience.”

That means that if all goes to plan the MRJ could be seen flying around the skies of the great North West as soon as later next year at Grant County International. Grant County International also happens to be Boeing stomping ground for their flight testing of commercial aircraft.
For one, I can't wait to see the MRJ coming to my neck of the woods sitting next to 787 and 747 over at Grant.

I think this cockpit look pretty damn cool too.....

www.flightglobal.com...

edit on 21-10-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I sense you'll be lurking about getting photos in the near future?

edit: just noticed. I was thrown off by the wing mounted engines. The plane is not that big. Usually I would associate an aircraft that size to have the engines mounted to the rear of the fuselage...
Hope it sits high enough.

edit on 21-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Your senses may be spot on...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

If he doesn't get scooped.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

If he doesn't get scooped.

Lol..

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Where's the cup holders and Blaupunkt?!

Sigh...

Cool looking and designed jet, I'd have liked it even more with cup holders and a Blaupunkt though

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

Sigh...

Cool looking and designed jet, I'd have liked it even more with cup holders and a Blaupunkt though

Hehe.. that would be an extra 500k in cost..
And create unwanted drag.

They have BOSE Headphones... no need for Blaupunkt...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I would have thought they had Sony since they are Japanese built.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

A Sony in a Mitsubishi?!

We'll let that Electronic faux pas go.

For now

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's IF your still driving.....

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
What's Kanye West's kid got to do with airplanes?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

If we aren't it's because we won the lottery which .means I have even more time.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

A Sony in a Mitsubishi?!

I probably should have said Nakamichi...I don't know what I was thinking.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

a lot of planes are flown in the skies over the northwest. you know, as well as i do, that the separation between the olympic mountains and the cascade range can create weather conditions that are ideal for testing aircraft in flight.

even if the company providing flight test were not in the seattle area the plane would have been brought here for some flight testing simply due to the uniqueness that the convergence zone provides, weather wise

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: bigx001

Yes, the weather pattern on the West side of the Cascades are definitely hard to predict because of the mountains. However, they won't be tested this jet here near our convergence zone. They're going to be testing them in Eastern WA and not in Western WA where the most it will have to contend with is strong prevailing straight line winds. It will also give them the ability to cold test them through next years winter out there.
Boeing does the same thing at Moses Lake since that airfield is so unique. You can track their commercial production aircraft back and forth from Paine over the Cascades and to Moses Lake for pre-delivery testing nearly every day.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

a reply to: bigx001

Yes, the weather pattern on the West side of the Cascades are definitely hard to predict because of the mountains.

it's not the hard to predict, it's the varying range that it provides on any given day. you can have severe turbulence on a relatively calm day, icing conditions, hail, rain, sunny all in a period of 12 hours or less.

there are quite a few new planes that conduct flight testing here simply because you don't have to look far, or go far, to get these conditions for flight testing.

top topics

join