It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flights From West Africa Only Coming to These Airports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Source

Travelers to the United States from Ebola-stricken Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea must fly into one of five airports that have enhanced screening in place for the virus, the U.S. government said on Tuesday.

The restrictions on passengers whose trips originated in those three West African countries were announced by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and were set to go into effect on Wednesday. The measures stop well short of the travel ban sought by some U.S. lawmakers in a bid to prevent further Ebola cases in the United States.

Affected travelers will have their temperatures checked for signs of a fever that may indicate Ebola infection, among other protocols, at New York's John F. Kennedy, New Jersey's Newark, Washington Dulles, Atlanta, and Chicago's O'Hare international airports, officials said.

I looked for this but didn't see it anywhere, I guess this is Obama's answer to a travel ban? Ridiculous. Well it narrows down where the next TED might show up if nothing else.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
More Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from ebola.

So there's that.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

Travel bans accomplish nothing but killing the economy of the nation you ban.

It also has the added effect of making the spread worse, since people can literally just drive to the next country over and hop on a plane.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

So there's that.

Keep in mind, Kim landed in America 34 years ago while Ebola landed in America September 20, 2014.

BTW ~ Kim has been married twice so Ebola has her beat in less than a months time.
edit on 21-10-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I still think a travel ban would be in order, esp. given that oftentimes people with symptoms can mask them with Ibuprophen and other similar meds.

Sierra Leone, btw, keeps having more and more cases. Here's something for you to chew on:

Dozens of people are being infected with the deadly Ebola virus each day in Sierra Leone, as the terrifying disease tears through the country's capital city, Freetown. Yesterday, forty-nine new cases were confirmed in just 24 hours, the National Ebola Response Center (NERC) reported. So many people are succumbing to the deadly virus that removing the dead bodies is becoming a serious problem. Lawmaker Claude Kamanda who represents a western area of the country said that more than 20 deaths are being reported each day.

www.dailymail.co.uk... ital-freetown.html

Here's another tidbit from the OP's article we need to think carefully about:

While the United States has experienced only three infections and one death from Ebola, worries about the virus have been rising. Ebola has killed more than 4,500 people, mostly in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.

Umm....excuse me for a minute, but wasn't there a report just yesterday that the U.S. hasn't had a new case of Ebola in five days?

Thomas Duncan didn't contract Ebola here. He got it back home and brought it to the U.S.

Nina Pham and Amber Vinson caught it here. That's two cases.

Where's the third? Who is it? Nina's boyfriend? We haven't heard squat about him for several days. Or Amber Vinson's fiance? Whatever happened to him?

Funneling all travelers from the Ebola-stricken countries in Africa to just five airports in the U.S. will be much less effective than a total travel ban, esp. since fever checks can be cheated with meds.

This ain't over yet. Just sayin.'

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

So there's that.

More Africans have died from ebola in the last 3 months than in all of recorded history.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

So there's that.

More Africans have died from ebola in the last 3 months than in all of recorded history.

This is not good.

Unless the U.S. comes up with a better idea than to funnel all travelers from Ebola-stricken countries into FIVE airports, we - as that reporter at the White House said during a hot mic moment - are screwed.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com... 6022032.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

LOL

Rwanda To Screen U.S. And Spanish Visitors To Keep Out Ebola

Good for Rwanda!
edit on 21-10-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
news.sky.com...

More here..
It makes sense to restrict travel to a few airports rather than willy-nilly like it has been.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Those are the same airports they put the first thermometers in, aren't they? A coupld of weeks ago?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yep those would be the ones.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
www.huffingtonpost.com... 6022032.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

LOL

Rwanda To Screen U.S. And Spanish Visitors To Keep Out Ebola

Good for Rwanda!

Amen! I was thinking the same thing with respect to Belize turning away the cruise ship. It's good to see some countries actually care about their citizens.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Those are the same airports they put the first thermometers in, aren't they? A coupld of weeks ago?

I don't know, but those thermometers won't do any good if whoever uses them takes ibuprophen or tylenol first. If an Ebola patient is desperate enough to come here for treatment, they could try anything to get past the screening.

Imo a 100% travel ban would be more effective.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
In the absence of the US government's unwillingness to place a total ban on travellers from the stricken countries,they have narrowed the points of entry down to five-what they should do now,is to go just one step further and place travellers from the affected countries in quarantine for at least 21 days.Russia is doing that,idk why the US should not be able to.Upon applying for a visa for America,travellers can be notified that they will receive one,if they are willing to be quarantined for that period.That will give them enough opportunity to plan their business and social schedules in advance,to accomodate their quarantine period.Inconvenient,yes,but any reasonable person should be able to see that it's not an unreasonable stipulation,in light of the situation in their country of origin.

The American embassies in those countries(which is where I assume travellers apply for visas) can then put the names of these travellers on a high-alert list issued to all airports in America.Just in case they decide to travel to an unaffected country+fly to the US from there.Upon arrival they can then stil be identified and quarantined.If they refuse,just refuse Them entry.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

So there's that.

Yo Ebola, I’m really happy for you…Imma let you finish. But Kim K. has one of the highest quarantine ratios of all time! One of the highest of all time

Bottom line, here's a disease that shouldn't even be in the USA. We have massive geographical barriers and in a nation that practically requires a full body cavity search (which you're expected to accept with a smile because.... terrists) for it's own citizens to fly within the borders of, how in the blue hell did this even reach one American case? Put some goddamned travel restrictions in place that actually make sense instead of the currently ridiculous pestering jackassery the TSA wages against legitimate safe travelers or else step down and make way for people who are actually qualified and willing to lead.

That's all America expects.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I fail to see how this plan is ridiculous. On the contrary, it is a good compromise for the moment. Hopefully we won't have to go to "Plan B".

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Explaining the term "czar":

In the United States, the informal political term "czar" or "tsar" is employed in media and popular usage to refer to high-level officials who oversee a particular policy. There have never been any U.S. government offices with the title "czar", but various governmental officials have sometimes been referred to by the nickname "czar" rather than their actual title.

The earliest known use of the term for a U.S. government official was in the administration of Franklin Roosevelt (1933–1945), during which eleven unique positions (or twelve if one were to count "Economic Czar" and "Economic Czar of World War II" as separate) were so described. The term was revived, mostly by the press, to describe officials in the Nixon and Ford administrations and continues today.

source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

So for the sake of healthy discussion let's say that for whatever reason I am In Liberia. On my last day there i come into direct contact - unbeknownst to me- with a symptomatic Ebola patient. I then either drive or fly to south Africa. I stay there for 2-4 days and then book a flight FROM south africa directly to the US. Since I am technically not leaving from west Africa would i then be able to fly to any airport of my choice? Im sure i would be asked if i had been to west africa or come into contact with possible ebola patients etc. But lets say im just ready to get home, am fairly confident i havent come into contact with anyone- after all its SO hard to catch right? *sarcasm*- and just dont want to deal with the extra hassel i know will come from telling someone I had in fact been in west africa for a number of days.

Also if I just happen to be wealthy, or close to someone/work for somone who is... If i charter my own plane, or any private aircrafft Would i still have to go directly to those airports only?

Same questions would apply for a "travel ban" i suppose. Just dont see how effective it would really be. Once we start seeing 10,000 cases a week by December in west Africa... I suspect we will see a mass migration of people. Im honestly surprised we arent already.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

Passports?

(I'm honestly asking this question. I would assume in 2014, every nation requires a passport stamp as you cross it's borders... for those that don't, travel bans aplenty.)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That seems like such an obvious answer that im honestly ashamed i missed it before I started ranting... lol

I assume you would also need to present a passport for anyone on board if you were flying, even into a private airport. I would think...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join