It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants Can Tell When They’re Being Eaten

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

Oh another thing, plants have more dna than us! Meaning they're more evolved than we are! Well hey they have been here a lot longer. 

well... no.

having more dna is a combination of having poorer genomic "housekeeping" and that their genome likely contains a higher number of explicit coding sequences. whereas the human genome has terrible housekeeping, it can generate an enormous number of proteins from only a few coding sequences via complex recombination mechanisms. therefore, the human is more highly evolved.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Night Star
Kind of leaves vegetarians in a dilemma doesn't it? I'm not a vegetarian but am thankful for the lives of animals and plants that sustain and nourish me.

Not really. Plant life is a part of a system. This has been shown in vast forests where one region compensates for another. Eating a leaf is different than tearing up the plant and tearing up the plant is different than tearing up the garden and tearing up the garden is different than burning down the forest where the garden resides.

You can either sheer the sheep or slit its throat. You can either milk a cow or tear into her flesh. Likewise, you can either responsibly coexist with plant life symbiotically or you can burn it all down.

Doesn't change the fact that the plant can sense what you're doing to it, can differentiate that from other actions imposed upon it, and will excrete defenses in response to that.. just like other living things such as animals. How do you feel about that? Is it suddenly a non issue just because it doesn't involve flesh that you cook?

Not that I agree with eating flesh. I gross myself out every time I prepare chicken and think about what I'm putting into my mouth, but if plants are conscious as well, then there certainly is a potential dilemma there.

CX

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
"The Secret Life of Plants" is a good book to read regarding this subject.

Not everyone agree with it, but it's a good read.

CX.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
touching concern for plants given 300000000 slaughtered animals in the United States for one day

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacemanjupiter

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: Night Star
Kind of leaves vegetarians in a dilemma doesn't it? I'm not a vegetarian but am thankful for the lives of animals and plants that sustain and nourish me.

Not really. Plant life is a part of a system. This has been shown in vast forests where one region compensates for another. Eating a leaf is different than tearing up the plant and tearing up the plant is different than tearing up the garden and tearing up the garden is different than burning down the forest where the garden resides.

You can either sheer the sheep or slit its throat. You can either milk a cow or tear into her flesh. Likewise, you can either responsibly coexist with plant life symbiotically or you can burn it all down.

Not that I agree with eating flesh. I gross myself out every time I prepare chicken and think about what I'm putting into my mouth, but if plants are conscious as well, then there certainly is a potential dilemma there.

Plants produce flowers and fruit specifically for the purpose of attracting animals and insects to eat them. I don't understand how there could be a potential dilemma?

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

I have been chopping out some Patterson's curse , a weed that can be toxic to horses and is very invasive, from the small paddocks lately and burning it.
Today I was carrying a few plants back to the fire heap , heading back to the house , and the plant wrapped it's self around my arm and I am sure I could feel it pressuring my arm , it was still alive. wow lol.
1%

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
This is a great thread.
Like Animals i also believe that plants that can feel pain.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

plants and trees have been around way longer than animals or humans it makes sense (to me anyways) that they would have not only learn't to exist together and communicate but to thrive and work together as a whole

nice thread

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
I guess that's why so many ancient traditions encourage respect for the spirit of plants
funny how science is sometimes ( ha, often) a few thousand years behind wisdom

sandF

Probably a purely mechanical reaction, no spirit found. Funny how wisdom misunderstands science.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

.... mechanical reaction....
a reply to: dr1234

"emergent" phenomena, where the whole (organism) cannot be accounted for by the sum of its parts is well documented and accepted in the scientific community. likewise, a plant's awareness of being eaten can never be fully explained by "mechanical reactions" that are no doubt taking place.

funny how people that are obviously uncomfortable with the notion of spirit abuse science as though they actually understand it.

😛

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join