It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when did you realize there was more music than what you were listening to at the time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I remember the exact moment. I was 14 and was just really getting into music despite my mom trying to introduce me to classic rock. Grunge was huge and thats all i listened to. I thought that was the best music had to offer. Anyway, i was watching an awards show and pearl jam was doing a medley with an old mofo. I loved pearl jam but the old mofo was destroying them. I had never heard anyone play like that. This was long before the internet so all i could think to do was call my mom. I was in florida and she was in ohio. She answered and i said turn the awards show on now cause there is an old dude on stage with pearl jam and he was ripping it up. She laughed and told me that was neil young. That was the moment for me. It was exactly then that i realized there was far more out there for me and since that moment i have never stopped looking.
What about you? Did you have a moment like that?
Both my parents were classic rock gurus so it was on all through my childhood, i just didnt pay attention.
I kick myself in the ass to this day for not trusting my parents.
When i was in grade school it was the golden age of rap and thats what kids at school listened to so i did as well. They tried to tell me about classic rock then but i wasnt hearing it.
My dad tried to turn me onto guitar when i was about 7. Got me lessons but i wanted nothing to do witth it. I picked it up again when i was 20 and kick myself in the ass to this day for not sticking with it when i was 7. If i had stayed with it by now i would be so much better than i am.
My dad also tried to get me into zappa. I really wasnt having that. I didnt understand it so i dismissed it.
Now i am 37 and zappa is my favorite artist.
I can think of dozens of musicians my parents tried to turn me onto that i just dismissed cause of course, i knew everything.
Eventually i came around and all those artists have been in heavy rotation in my house for the last 20 years.

Now i have a 2 year old daughter and i am trying to introduce her to different kinds of music.
My wife loves punk so thats on a lot. The classics like the beatles and zepp but also traditional music. Turkish and yiddish and gypsy...

Im rambling so.....when was your moment?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't think i've ever had 'a moment'. I've always been exposed to multiple genres of music, and i've always liked multiple artists as a result. If it is one genre i would have to pick though, it would be rock.

By the way, nice avatar. The Tick was awesome!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I came from a country town with country music on all day long in the barn for the horses. Went to a city school and saw "Iron Maiden" carved into the desk. I thought it was someone's name. Thought Motley Crue were girls when I saw a poster in someone's locker and I didn't know why everyone was so excited to see Judas Priest. Then...one day...I heard Back in Black and it was all over. Picked up the guitar and taught myself stairway to heaven from beginning to end including the solo. Rocked out with Alice in Chains and forever grunged with Nirvana. I still remember the first time hearing bohemian rhapsody and the drum solo for moby dick. Screw that country music on the radio in the barn and in the kitchen 24/7. No more Islands in the stream Kenny Rogers and Nitty Gritty Dirt band. This kid is growing his hair long and getting laid.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I was brought up on 60's music with my Dad's favourite band of all time being the Beatles. I knew most of their songs word for word before I learned any nursery rhymes.

I come from a family that feels music should be at the centre of everything and as a consequence I was able to expand my listening, through purchasing vinyl albums, radio and latterly T.V.

My tastes are so varied as I learned to play trumpet as a schoolboy and got into classical music, although I must admit, I do not have much of that in my collection.

I now play Bass guitar in a band and we play a range of music from the 60's to today's indie rock.

As Shakespeare once said 'If music be the food of love, Rock on', or something to that effect.

Expand your musical tastes and explore the classics, whilst embracing the up and coming artists of the day.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

great thread! For me I got into music when I was about 13...my cousin had an extra Def Leopard Hysteria casette and gave it to me...I couldn't believe how awesome rock was. I went to Metallica and hit about everything with an amp and distortion. I started playing guitar and learned every popular heavy metal song. When I went to a jam session with some other guitarists I found out we all could play the same metal songs and I realized I was the same as every other 13 year old boy with a guitar.

I immediately started learning classical guitar....about a year later a group of us met up to have another little jam session and I brought my classical guitar with me as well....we all went through the same metallica songs, megadeth etc...some could play the solos others had no chance....then I busted out the classical..

First I started with classical pieces they may recongnize like Dee and a part in To Live Is To Die by Metallica...Then I went into Bach, and some other famous things. The amount of interest and feedback was overwhelming. From then on i've really opened up into all types of music...with my current favorite being original scores from movie soundtracks.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Ha. When i was about 8 i was at the store with my mom and i saw poison on the cover of a rock rag and thought they were girls. Im trying to give my daughter a wide range of music to hear. None of this nikki minaj # in this house

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Pretty young. While I was a rock and roll teen my mom loved country music and my dad loved guys like Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra.
I took ballet lessons and loved the classical music we danced to.
My tastes in music run the gambit from Straus to Metallica.
edit on AMu31u10104336312014-10-21T10:36:12-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
My kids who are grown now seemed partial to classic rock.
My nineteen year old plays the tenor saxophone, rhythm guitar and base guitar.
He was certainly influenced by my taste in music and he will listen to Beethoven and Bach as quickly as The Rolling Stones or Aerosmith.
I can't tell you how often I heard House of the rising Sun while he sat in front of a youtube video learning how to play guitar.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I love me some Rogers and Hammerstein.
O.k.l.a h.o.m a... Oklahoma OKAY!

a reply to: rockpaperhammock

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have been into music since I was a child. Though my passion growing up was heavy metal, I always explored other genres. There are many I don't like and many that I do.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The thing with me, is that my mother used to sit in front of big old Technics speakers, with Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Status Quo, and others, blaring out into the bump that was, in fact, little me sitting in her belly. Ever since I can remember, I have loved to rock out.

There was, however, a period between my birth in 1985, and my going to college to resit my exams at age sixteen, when I thought that the sort of music I liked was dead, because all there was on the television was utter gack, like The Spice Girls, or bloody Oasis, or worse, one of those speed garage acts involving a moron with a microphone and a moron with a mixing desk, pretending to be musicians.

It was only when I went to college and met other rockers of my age, that I discovered that there was indeed more out there, and once that had happened, well... My horizons got themselves well and truly expanded. It was a great time to be me, because it was the first time I ever had a peer group my own age, the first time I had a social circle of any scale, the first time in fact, that I fitted in, anywhere, even with the misfits!

I went to my first gig that year. I had never seen a live band before, aside from a couple of crappy acts at the Church Hall. I went to see Children Of Bodom live at the Astoria (may the venue rest in peace) in London after hearing a tape that a mate of mine had swindled from someone or other. I heard the tape, I bought the ticket. It was the most balls out thing I had ever seen.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

One word: Metallica.

When I was a kid my aunty gave me Ride The Lightning on cassette for my birthday and I never looked back. The moment I heard that heavy distortion and the solos I decided that I wanted a guitar in my hands.

And I've been a headbanger ever since. I've seen metal evolve into a monster since then and I have seen how metal draws influences from a number of genres and now I try do do the same when I 'freestyle' on the fretboard. My love of music went back before then and I appreciate the classics, but that one gift turned me from a from a kid who listens to music to a kid who creates music.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
When I was still young enough to be in toddler pen (1970's), my mum used to listen to the radio while doing the ironing Those imprinted all the tracks from the late 1960's, which I forgot about for a couple of decades.

It was definitely AFRTS from Germany that opened my ears. During my later school days, I used to work late and there weren't any other stations on at that time. That introduced me to Casey Kasem and all the American bands that we really didn't hear elsewhere; Peter Gabriel, Chicago, Starship.

In the 1990's, I found a second-hand CD music store, and they had all these rare and strange albums that regular music shops didn't have. Multi-CD albums like "The Psychadelic Years" and the "Psychadelic Years Revisited"

www.last.fm...:+American+Album+Classics%29

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
I love me some Rogers and Hammerstein.
O.k.l.a h.o.m a... Oklahoma OKAY!

a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Ah, my favourite musical.

The cowboy and the farmer should be friends.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think I always knew there was lots of different music. I still remember the lyrics of songs my mother sang to me as a child — Broadway show tunes, jazz standards, folk songs of my country, pop and country hits of the day, polite heartthrob rock 'n' roll. When I got older, I sang in Anglican church choirs. Later, when the Sixties were getting interesting, all you needed was the radio.

There was, however, an epiphanic moment: hearing the intro to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon when it first came out. All those heartbeats and cash registers, then the scary screaming, then the opening chords of Breathe washing over it all like a jewel-studded velvet tsunami. I'd never heard music that scared and disturbed me before. That was when I knew that music was for me.

edit on 22/10/14 by Astyanax because: I left out an important bit.

top topics

join