It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal Cruelty To Be Classified As A Serious Crime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

now way....i totally agree with you

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one has referenced the fact that animal cruelty is indicative of sociopathic behaviors, which may later be acted out on human beings...

While some studies have found a lack of statistical evidence, I think the logic behind the Macdonald Triad is based on common sense, all of which can be seen referenced in sociopath descriptions found here:

Wikipedia: Mcdonald Triad

Health Guidance: Characteristics of a Sociopath

MD-Health: Sociopath Traits

If a few innocent/harmless people are bent out of shape in efforts to curb future massacres by the criminally insane, I think that's a small price to pay for a little added comfort...That goes without saying that simply mistreating an animal in any way (even without intent to inflect that same damage upon a human at some point down the road) is unspeakable and has no place in civilized society.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnronOutrunHomerun
I'm surprised no one has referenced the fact that animal cruelty is indicative of sociopathic behaviors, which may later be acted out on human beings...

I did on page one. And for the same reasons you cite, I agree, it needs to be taken VERY seriously. Thanks for driving the nail home with your sources

edit on 21-10-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Good, although I don't know how much this will change (every slaughterhouse and factory farm should be fined and everyone in them jailed if I ran the world - and maybe I do, in my real-life David Rockefeller identity). In the States now someone can kill a neighbors dog or cat and it's just a minor crime against property. grrrrrr....
edit on 21-10-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I did on page one. And for the same reasons you cite, I agree, it needs to be taken VERY seriously.

DOH! My bad...Glad to know I'm not the only one making that connection! I can't recall or spend much time looking this up at the moment, but I do believe that either Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer started out like this...Don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: EnronOutrunHomerun

No sweat! You provided some good sources that my post lacked.

The thing about animal cruelty / abuse is that it's an obvious sign of people acting out aggression in the worst possible way. Why this hasn't already been classified as a major threat to society is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
America is going down the drain pipes with these liberal nut jobs running our country.

I think it's funny people say things like "liberals are ruining everyone's fun by attempting to micromanage every attitude and behavior."

Who is seriously going to look at animal cruelty/ abuse and stake a claim on that as a god-given right? We're talking about thinking and feeling domestic pets that can hardly even defend themselves against human aggression.

This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with human moral compasses.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Oh how I shake my head when irrational conclusions are used as a basis for argument. The old slipperly slope ploy where one states "But if they pass this then it's only a matter of time until they pass that.

Irrationality at it's finest.

To the point of the OP. Animal cruelty is wrong. Animal neglect is wrong. Owning a pet comes with responsibilities, just like anything else in adult life. Those responsibilities, unmet, merit some sort of intervention. Buy a dog and then chain it to a tree with little food and water and leave it to live a solitary life? Then you have no business having the dog in the first place.

It leaves me flustered that we live in a nation that fully accepts Corporate personhood and then classifies living and loving entities as "food". Dogs aren't food in our culture. They are not living stress relief toys. They are not objects to be abused at a whim. They are members of a family.

My grandfather, who was a very wise and aged man once told me "Watch how people around you treat their animals - because that is exactly how they will treat you given the chance."

In short, how one treats animals is a direct reflection of themselves and their true nature.

Oh, and FTR: If your dog is a biter chances are that you raised it wrong and were probably guilty of the animal neglect or abuse you are currently railing against. Just sayin'. I have a lot of experience with animals, domestic and otherwise and with few exceptions it is a universal truth that if you get bit, it's because YOU did something to provoke that instinct out of the animal.
edit on 10/21/14 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
ok but if a dog humps my leg, can i sue him for sexual assault??

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If our pets become unruly, we will not be able to punish them to train them. They need to be brought to a pet psychiatrist to get them back on track.

If we hit our dog because it tried to take a bite out of the neighbor, we will be considered a threat to society and this means we should be restricted from having a gun.

The OP has a point, what about the animals you feed in your yard. If I quit feeding the deer that stop by, will it be considered an act of animal cruelty?

What about the people who raise our food, I can't see a cattle rancher lose his gun because he forces a cow into a trailer to go get processed into meat. What about the stockyards and the chicken farms?

I think that anyone signing this action into law should be sent to a shrink, evidently they have become disillusioned and need to be removed from office.

So are we a threat to society if we kill a fly or poison our lawn to kill pests, technically bugs are animals. The bees are one of the most important of any insect, they should be protected. We need to imprison all those who make chemicals that kill them. If this law is enforced, it must be totally enforced, imprison or fine everyone who kills a bug.

Although I feel that we should not be mistreating animals, they have rights, we must also reserve rationality when dealing with this issue. Dividing the people over what is perceived is cruelty is a problem. Dogs need to be punished if they do something wrong, to teach them from doing it again. I don't mean beating them, but people against hitting animals go overboard and they don't have to live with the animal.
edit on 21-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I have no qualms with this. Animal abuse is despicable, something which there is no excuse for. Animals in our care depend on us for everything from their daily meals to healthcare. It's akin to caring for kids, except our kids will eventually live out their lives under their own roof. Most domesticated animals never will, they're under our care until they die. If the best someone can muster up for caring for an animal is beating the snot out of them or scarcely feeding them intentionally, there's a major issue there.

I remember back in Florida, there was a news article about a dog that had very recently had puppies. She was stuffed in a suitcase and dumped in a river still alive. The poor thing drowned, and the whole damn community was practically out for blood after that. It makes you wonder how that person regards humans if they can do that to a dog. I don't want to think about what they may have done to the litter, they never found who did it

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I agree with a few others, to a certain extent.
I'm fine with the law, we need to protect animals from idiots and deranged people. No doubt.
But they need to make sure EVERYTHING is clearly spelled out in this law.

Just because someone thinks it is cruel that I use a shock collar on my dog, doesn't mean I do, or that I should be arrested for it. I don't want my dog splatted in the road. She is obsessed with the road. 9 times out of 10, I only have to use the tone.
I really don't want to end up in Jail for that.

And while I don't believe in letting a domesticated animal loose in the wild, what will constitute neglect?

This could be a well needed law. If they get it right.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
As long as no one throws me in jail for a felony count of hunting critters to eat, I have no problem with it.

I do remember a case some years back where the SPCA brought charges against a farmer because he kept pigs in a sty. In elementary school, I learned that pigs are supposed to live in a sty. Oh well, what I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of common sense approach to it all.
edit on b000000312014-10-21T07:10:11-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 21 Oct 2014 07:10:11 -0500700000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Oh, and FTR: If your dog is a biter chances are that you raised it wrong and were probably guilty of the animal neglect or abuse you are currently railing against. Just sayin'. I have a lot of experience with animals, domestic and otherwise and with few exceptions it is a universal truth that if you get bit, it's because YOU did something to provoke that instinct out of the animal.

I tend to both agree and disagree, Heff. The problem typically can be how the dog is raised & trained, but it also boils down to breed, too. Some naturally have aggressive tendencies that can flare, or can become aggressive with enough stress or lack of adequate activities. Terriers, for example, can become aggressive in play with enough of a lack of interaction & regular play.

We had a Boston Terrier when our first kid was fresh out of the oven. He was a pretty damn good dog, an adult rescue from a house that had to get rid of him because his owners had new Dobermans that were very aggressive towards him & his litter mate. They kept the Dobermans and got rid of the Bostons. What I got was probably the best trained dog I'd ever had, he was awesome -- the only thing he cold never grasp was "DOWN, boy!" when he was excited.

We ended up deciding to turn him over to a rescue group again years later when our first was a toddler & our second was cooking because he was starting to nip & growl at her, and playing substantially more roughly with us. At the time, we just didn't have the time or extra resources for more behavioral training. It didn't seem responsible to us to keep him and run the risk of a bite, which seemed to loom more every day, he just couldn't handle the stress of a little kid & household changes all that well. From what the group told us, he went to an older couple that was absolutely thrilled with him & he was happy as a clam.
edit on 10/21/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

And then, you'll be put on some watch list? I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals. But, this is government overreach and piss poor execution of legislative power. Animals are food. We are supposed to kill them. That's the way I see it. Do they include bugs as animals? I mean they're drawing lines in the sand and then saying you're equal to a murderer for crossing them. America is going down the drain pipes with these liberal nut jobs running our country.

Really animals as bugs, what are you 4 years old?

Then again I have read the rest of your posts and can already see your thought process..enjoy your superiority to pets.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

And then, you'll be put on some watch list? I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals. But, this is government overreach and piss poor execution of legislative power. Animals are food. We are supposed to kill them. That's the way I see it. Do they include bugs as animals? I mean they're drawing lines in the sand and then saying you're equal to a murderer for crossing them. America is going down the drain pipes with these liberal nut jobs running our country.

Then again I have read the rest of your posts and can already see your thought process..enjoy your superiority to pets.

The last line of the OP says it all. OP took an issue like animal cruelty and used it to make a political stab instead.

America is going down the drain pipes with these liberal nut jobs running our country.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Have you ever read PETA's information?
They are against killing any animal, including bugs. They want to ban pesticides and mousetraps.

We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds, and other “pests” as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.

After rat-proofing the building, live-trap and remove any rats still inside. To live-trap rats, purchase a couple of Havahart Chipmunk Traps #0745 from Tomahawk Live Trap and bait them with Trapper’s Choice Loganberry Paste, which can be ordered from U-Spray at 1-800-877-7290. To capture rats, smear some peanut butter on a piece of cardboard and add a dab of the Loganberry Paste to the peanut butter. Place this in the back of the trap and set the traps along walls in areas frequented by the rats—i.e., places where you’ve seen droppings in the past. Be sure to check the traps hourly! The little animals will be hungry, thirsty, and frightened, and they may die if left in the traps too long. Traps should be disabled when not in use and during cold weather. Release rats within 100 yards of where they were caught. Releasing a rat into a strange area will almost surely result in his or her death. Read more: www.peta.org...

If ants, cockroaches, wasps, or bees are calling your house “home,” there’s no need to resort to cruel and toxic pesticides or traps. Like all animals, these tiny beings suffer when they are poisoned, trapped, or otherwise killed. Pesticides can be hazardous to humans and other animals and, like all killing methods, don’t solve the problem, since more insects will soon move in to fill the vacancy left by those who were killed. Read more: www.peta.org...

Make sure and release the rats within 100 yards of where they are caught. Good gravy, save the vermin!

PETA Website
edit on bu312014-10-21T07:41:17-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 21 Oct 2014 07:41:17 -05007u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I rank scum who are cruel to animals right up there with pedophiles and rapists.

Here's a question, if a dog and a lawyer were drowning which one do you save?

I would choose my four-legged, finned or winged friends many times over before I'd assist an oxygen-thieving piece of ship like that.

Every living thing gets a measure of my respect - some humans ranking the lowest.

I would save a child-sized bird eating spider before them.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Here's a question, if a dog and a lawyer were drowning which one do you save?

The dog duuh

Can I shoot the lawyer for good measure too?

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I do remember a case some years back where the SPCA brought charges against a farmer because he kept pigs in a sty. In elementary school, I learned that pigs are supposed to live in a sty. Oh well, what I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of common sense approach to it all.

Because that's so 16th century...]

They should be kept in a steal cage with no sunshine and or ability to move about in fresh air.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join