It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The French SNAIL Thread.... The full horror...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Why oh why did I come in here? I do that with spider threads too. EEEEK! Damned curiosity gets me every time. Well, good luck with your gross little goodies. LOL

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I had no idea so much went into making those little creatures tasty.
I think I'll stick to restaurant appetizers, or the option of canned snails in garlic butter stuffed into mushroom caps..

I don't have the stomach for processing and torture of those slimy little beings.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Thank you, I went back and read the other thread. Now I have to try to make these this weekend.

A couple more questions first...

Are the frozen ones better than the canned or vice versa? Which one would you personally recommend?

I noticed that when canned, some are packed in oil and some in water. Does this make a difference?

Do I need any of the "escargot equipment" to do this right? Do I need the little escargot plates and forks? Does it make it much easier?

I will keep watching this thread as well. I'd really like to try preparing them fresh. However, I have no idea where I'm gonna find these snails in Oklahoma, other than perhaps at the fresh fish market in Oklahoma City, or perhaps some place down in Dallas...

Thank you for making this thread and teaching me something new

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante
a reply to: Rodinus

Thank you, I went back and read the other thread. Now I have to try to make these this weekend.

A couple more questions first...

Are the frozen ones better than the canned or vice versa? Which one would you personally recommend?

I noticed that when canned, some are packed in oil and some in water. Does this make a difference?

Do I need any of the "escargot equipment" to do this right? Do I need the little escargot plates and forks? Does it make it much easier?

I will keep watching this thread as well. I'd really like to try preparing them fresh. However, I have no idea where I'm gonna find these snails in Oklahoma, other than perhaps at the fresh fish market in Oklahoma City, or perhaps some place down in Dallas...

Thank you for making this thread and teaching me something new

Hi DbD.

To be quite honest I would go for the frozen snails if you have no other choice as you can just take what you need out of the freezer. Sometimes frozen snails are already prepared with the garlic and the Parsley already added and you just chuck them in the oven...

Don't go for snails packed in oil as you are going to be adding garlic butter to them and they will be greasy enough as it is without having that extra oil.

If all goes well, I will be putting the recipie up here either tomorrow night or this weekend as the salting processus is quite long.

Maybe you should try a Deli down in Dallas? (I can't help you out too much there as I live in France)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hi flks,

Well, I have just succesfully done the following steps :

Steps five, six, seven and eight (The gory details)

Step nine : How to cook them

I have just finished preparing them for cooking and have 13 magnificent gastropods sitting in a dish just begging for me to throw them in the oven and have a good old nosh up afterwards.

However, as it is fairly late here right now, I will go into the details of the above steps tomorrow morning as I have just finished uploading the pictures which took me yonks to do as Rod Jr is currently on his PS3 which slows down the bandwith somewhat... (And I am on pizza dity tonight so need to get my sleeves rolled up again...)

If I get out of the ER room quickly I will hopefully have everything up around 07:30 am over here in France...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus
If I get out of the ER room quickly I will hopefully have everything up around 07:30 am over here in France...

Where is your dedication the world of gastronomy? Post them from the ER.

Priorities my man, priorities.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Apologies if I'm repeating a question already asked here...But what I'm hearing is that the standard method of preparing snails for consumption involves to brine them in this manner? I simply had no clue!! I loooove me some escargot though...Very interesting!! Continue on fine sir
edit on 10/22/2014 by EnronOutrunHomerun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Please post to the original thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

CLOSED

PS
Rodinus, check your u2u....
edit on Wed Oct 22 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join