It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘As my time draws closer': Terminally ill woman gives update 12 days before end of her life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

On November 1– two days after her husband’s birthday– surrounded by her husband, mother and best friend, she will end her life using medication prescribed by her doctor.

source

Well, what do you think about this?

Can we blame her for not wanting to live through a slow and painful death?

I wonder where she's at philosophically.. I wish someone would interview her about it.
edit on 10/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Do you happen to have a link?

Either way , most know how I feel about this here. I think anyone over the age of 18 should be able to end their life any way they choose and for any reason they choose.

None of us are qualified to judge what someone can and can't live with. We are not qualified to judge why someone else feels they can't possibly go on. The government has no hand in creating any life and by that train of thought... They have no right to say when you can take that life of your own accord.

I hope that one day everyone can benefit from assisted suicide. We all know people set on doing it, will do it regardless of how. Why not aid those people in making that passing a little more comfortable for them and their families?? I would much rather watch a loved one die peacefully in their sleep, than walk into a room where their brain matter is scattered all over the walls.

I know many disagree with me about this because I've discussed it many times on here. My opinion will not change. I don't really feel that people should commit suicide, but again... I am not qualified to make that decision for anyone other than myself.
edit on 10/20/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

She's an inspiration. Using her story to spread the message of dying with dignity.

What better way to go then surrounded by people you love, in your own bedroom and listening to your favorite music.

People should not have to spend their final days hooked up to a machine that does all the work to keep them alive, feeling sick and getting sick over and over day after day. It's not right, it's their life after all. They are the ones with a terminal illness and should be the ones to make the decision of when they're ready to pass on.

We out our pets to sleep because that's what's best for them, why can't humans make the same choice for themselves?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I think it's her right to choose when/how to die
Many will find this horrible, as I've been bashed for saying this before

We put our animals down when suffering but when it comes to people, many freak out

Back when I was 19, my best friend who had been fighting Leukemia for years since she was 7, told me one day that she was 'tired' and didn't know about going on the way she had been
Between Chemo & Radiation, it takes a toll on a person's body and she was whipped down
She had just graduated and was manager of a food business

However, being as I was naive and stupid, I didn't get the meaning of what she was saying, what she was implying
I heard but didn't listen

5 months later, she was in a coma for week before she died

NOW I get what it was she was trying to say

She gave up and gave in to death, to let the pain go away
No more suffering

To this day, it makes me sad thinking about that, and wish I had enough smarts back then to catch onto what she was trying to tell me

I have also seen both my parents suffer before they passed away
Dad died when I was 14
Mom died when I was 24
Both not pleasant, both suffered immensely, especially Mom

So yeah, I am behind this Lady and her choice to die

Who are we to make her suffer?

edit on 21-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I hope that one day everyone can benefit from assisted suicide. We all know people set on doing it, will do it regardless of how. Why not aid those people in making that passing a little more comfortable for them and their families?? I would much rather watch a loved one die peacefully in their sleep, than walk into a room where their brain matter is scattered all over the walls.

Dr.Kevorkian did do that, until they stopped him

He had a talk with the patient suffering terminally, talked with the family, made sure this was what they all wanted
Made sure the person was near end stage of illness
Then he set it up where the patient did the actual 'ending', not a loved one

But many find that 'offensive' and awful

I say it's the person's right to do with their body/life as they please when it comes to a terminal illness

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Yep. Like everything else, the government has to have the final say in your life ending decisions. They hunted and spied and chipped away at everything until they managed to have Dr. Kevorkian put out of commission for good. The man should have been given a medal... Not jail time IMO.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

This is just my opinion, but I think people are so afraid of Death in general, and the thought of losing their loved one, even though they are in dire pain, over-rides any rationality

I've seen so much death over my 48 years that I'm not afraid of it

Death is a game that no one wins at
There are no winners
The end-game is the same for all

Losing someone hurts like hell, but to make someone suffer because we can't let them go is selfish IMO

But I'm hard-core and many don't like what I say because it's not sugar coated
Been there, done it, hated what my parents went through

It's a hell of a thing to have to suffer before dying

edit on 21-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

You're right. Nobody gets out alive. Nobody.

I just went through it with my father several months back. I watched him suffer time and time again for almost a year. It got to the point where (God help me, I know how it sounds) I almost hoped that they would stop bringing him back around for him to struggle on for a few more weeks. I waited for that phone call for almost a year. Every time we thought he might not have to suffer more, something seemed to happen at the last second to string it along, always making it worse each and every time.

Folks can say that it's cold to almost hope someone would pass away... Those folks have generally never had to see someone actually suffer for months/years on end. So their opinions aren't a drop in my bucket.

I had the same view about death before that. That experience only served to cement it for me. There's no way in hades that I will ever think someone should not have the option to choose whether they want to go through that or not. None.

I'm sorry that you know what it's like. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It is indeed (like you said) extremely selfish and self serving to deny someone the right to die simply because they will leave a huge gaping hole in your life. I would have gladly taken the hole earlier if it would have saved him some pain and suffering.

edit on 10/21/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

This is just my opinion, but I think people are so afraid of Death in general, and the thought of losing their loved one, even though they are in dire pain, over-rides any rationality

There are no winners

Losing someone hurts like hell, but to make someone suffer because we can't let them go is selfish IMO

"In death, there is only one victor, and that is him." - my father.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I think it is a rare gift to go on your "own terms" and "suicide" is a derogatory term. There should be something less harsh to describe the letting go of a painful mortal existence - physically or mentally. We all get there eventually, so why is bowing out early such a horrible thing? Are we cheating some entity out of a long drawn out and entertaining drama? If you want me to love life, then give me a charmed one. There are those who say that God never gives you more than you can handle and clearly that is disproved and why should life be a painful test for some and a cake walk for others???

I wish her the best on the ending of one journey and the beginning of another (hopefully better).

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I fully support ending your life in Dignity. I could make a big post, but I think there will be enough said. Spiritually it is a question and that is my only hangup. Somewhere I heard suicide was not a sin until the Catholic church made it one. I am still trying to research that mess. Personally, I have reason enough to terminate life, but can't do it to my family. MMy kids are grown and have children of their own, but I had one daughter die at 15 and her sister now 22 has had a lot of issues with it. I am afraid she might do something if I did it.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I've already commented on this a couple of weeks ago on a similar thread. We put animals to sleep when they have terminal illness because we say it is kinder so I can never understand why we don't give the same respect to our own race

. My father died 4 years ago of terminal cancer so I saw first hand the quality of life someone has near the end. He was told in September that a tumour had come back in his oesophagus. We as a family were told he had 12 months top. My dad wasnt told at that point because his MacMillan nurse said he wasn't ready to accept. For thecfirst couple of months he used to come out with my little boy and I but he became more and more breathless and tired. About November he started to loose weight and started pushing food around plate. At beginning of December he went out for last time to buy Xmas presents for all of us at that time he startdd to acknowledge he might not have another Xmas. He started radiotherapy to shrink tumour just before Xmas because he was having difficulty breathing (in retrospect my sister and I feel it would have been better to not have had treatment). He stayed with me Xmas and New Year and was already starting to look like skeleton as he had stopped eating by then. He was so ill he kept dirtying himself and this made him so ashamed for me to see him in such a state. It was heartbreaking. I remember it snowing heavily and making a snowman in back garden with my 2 year old. My dad stood at the kitchen window watching with tears running down his face. I can remember that day as clear as photographs in my mind because I tried to soak every moment up as I knew he would never see this again. In January my dad started to cough blood up (it had spread to his lungs) and it was at this point the doctors told him they couldnt do anything. My sister asked him to go home to her. My dad loved her house as the views looked out all over the pennines. We moved a bed to the dining room so he could look at that view every day From late January he started to refuse water and was by now retching all the time. We could barely touch him because he was in so much pain. In February one night my sister and I got all his favourite CD's and he started to plan his funeral. Th room that night had the strangest ambience it was both sad and filled with love. My sister put his favourite CD on Nat King Cole and as the song Unforgettable came on my dad started to talk about days gone by of my sister on a swing shouting push me higher daddy. He had tears rolling down his face and it was the title of hhis song that was wrote on his headstone. He also chose Wonderful World Louis Armstrong

. I know I'vw waffled on but the point Im trying to make is that night was the night we all kind of accepted and let go. That would have been the ideal time for my dad to have said his farewells and then been allowed to drift away surrounded by love. Instead he went on for weeks after fading away with no food or water. Sleeping more and more and being so weak he couldnt even go to toilet. In his last week of life because his needs had become too much he went into an hospice and even though we were there night and day his last moments were spent alone. He passed away in middle of night alone and having suffered terribly.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

There are no winners

I quote your full post because it is worthy of being repeated. Some of us are realist and can see that there is no escape from death...and no need to prolong its coming. It is my intention to not make my family nor myself suffer the indignities of the losing the cherished aspects of what life was all about before the decline begins.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's her life and her choice. She should be allowed to die with dignity on her own terms. We help our pets at the end of their life ... humans should be given the same opportunity. Adults should be able to end their suffering at any time for any reason. I fully support her choice. Sad situation ... brave woman.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

HBO created a documentary on this subject, following a woman, who chose to die with dignty, she expesses her thoughts and feelings. You can find it here: www.deathwithdignity.org...

I am very much for dying with dignity. As a nurse I have assisted at 2 such events in a hospital, people do not know this, but it depends on your Dr. Many will help, even in states where it is not legal. Interestingly enough both hospitals were Catholic. It is wise to discuss things with your Physician and find out where he or she, stands on this issue.
edit on 21-10-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm glad she moved to Oregon for the "Death with Dignity" laws in place. I read the title to this thread and thought, you can't say you are going to kill yourself at a certain time or place without police taking you in for a mandatory 72 hours. Suicide is still illegal in many states and announcing you are going to commit a crime would have had serious repercussions in some states, depending on the gubernatorial race.

Personally, I have no problem with those who are terminally ill taking their own lives. Life insurance should be forced to pay out as well for this type of circumstance. The person was going to die anyway.

The Infinite Compassion be with them...
edit on 21-10-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Several times my mother tried to end her life and each time it was aborted by intervention from my father. I was a teen at the time and had some very negative feelings towards her for trying to end her life. I know she was of ill health and was at the doctors frequently but, did not know just what her medical condition was.

For what ever reasons, she no longer wanted to walk this earth. Had she been able to make that choice without intervention she would not have had to spend the last 14 years of her life as a quadriplegic unable to perform even the simplest necessary tasks for personal hygiene. For 14 years she had to depend on others to maintain her existence. I can't imagine a worse hell on earth for someone who no longer wanted to be here.

We have no say in how we enter this life, I do strongly believe it is our human right to decide when it's time for us to go when possible and have the respect of those around us in making this decision. I have spoken to my family members about this and they understand that when it's my time and if my health fails to the point of having no quality of life that the decision to leave will be mine.

It was hard watching my mother suffer for so many years with no quality of life whatsoever, she wasn't even able to communicate in speech. No one should have to endure such a fate if they do not want to. It would have been kinder to have let her go instead of selfishly trying to keep her here.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Here F'ing Here!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

Your post made me cry.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Being raised a catholic, I was taught that God should have the only say in life and death. However, the older I get(22 now) I think that if someone is going to be suffering in pain for a long time, they should have the option to die peacefully at their own terms. Just how I feel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join