It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Partial Solar Eclipse For North America Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
From the western most end of Siberia to most of North America will be able to see a partial solar eclipse this Wednesday, 23 October.

Earthsky

For those of us in the Southeastern part of the US, you'll be able to see it start at 17:51 EDT (5:51 pm), it will reach maximum at about 18:08 (6:08 pm), but the sun will set before it finishes.

For those of you that live in Central Time, Mountain Time and Pacific Time, it will start at 16:51, 15:51, and 14:51 respectively and you'll see the whole thing before the sun sets. Alaska, it will start for you at 11:51.

This is a PARTIAL solar eclipse, meaning you should not look at it directly with your eyes, and certainly not with any optical device (binocs, telescopes). Use a Pinhole viewer, or wielding goggles/mask. You can also take a pane of glass and "smoke it" by holding it above a lit candle, allowing the soot to collect on it and use that (did that as a kid myself back in the 1980s).

I plan on trying to take pics myself. Happy viewing!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the head's up.

Anything prophetic or coincidental with this one?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Thanks for the head's up.

Hmmmmm..... let me think.......

I predict that I'll post pictures on here some time after 6:08 pm on 23 October, 2014.

There you go! A prediction that WILL come true (even if my pictures don't turn out, I'll post a meme!, hehehehehehe).

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Take that Europe!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Poop, i forgot i was going to borrow a welding mask. Guess I'll be sooting up a piece of glass!

Another (almost) concurrent event, the Orionid meteor shower peaks Tuesday morning (from now til just before dawn is the best viewing.)

It's my burphday Wednesday, and I'm pretty excited to have an eclipse and meteor shower to see. Now... Time to check and see if the [expletive deleted] clouds have started clearing up yet...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Thank you, also for the added info. I'll see what i can do with pics and or how it went to update the thread.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
There is a nasty sunspot on the sun. It looks like it may send out a big flare. It probably isn't lined up to hit us with a CME yet but it might in a couple of days. Looks like a big zit. spaceweather.com...

The sunspot mightl make a nice compliment to the eclipse.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
They've predicted a few things

Active Region AR2192 is still growing; it has enlarged by 1/3 in just the last day. See more at Spaceweather.com. The spot will be wonderfully presented near the middle of the Sun's disk this Thursday the 23rd during the partial solar eclipse!

While we're at it, here's a preview of the great total solar eclipse that will cross the United States diagonally in less than three years: Americans Will See Total Solar Eclipse in 2017.

A big naked-eye sunspot has rotated around the Sun's eastern limb into plain view if you have a safe solar filter to view through. (A "naked-eye" sunspot means that no magnification is needed, not no filter!! See Solar Filter Safety.) - See more at: www.skyandtelescope.com...

Yesterday, the sunspot produced a long-duration X1-flare (movie) and a strong HF radio blackout over Asia and Australia. The next X-flare, if one occurs, will be even more geoeffective as the sunspot turns toward Earth.
spaceweather.com...

These blackouts are a consequence of enhanced electron densities caused by solar flare emissions. These emissions ionize the sunlit side of Earth, which increases the amount of energy lost as radio waves pass through the upper atmosphere. www.spaceweatherlive.com...

edit on 20-10-2014 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Nice...
I didn't know ..
I appreciate the heads up..

( grunting).. Now if I I can just make the clouds and drizzle go away for a bit....

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
We have had lots of celestial treats this year. Wish it was another full solar eclipse, I love how the shadows have shadows during a full eclipse. Still exciting though!

Here a link where you can enter your city and state and it will tell you what time the eclipse will be viewable in your area:
October 23rd Partial Solar Eclipse: Time and Date in Your City...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
This one was a big one for me.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

October 23 is on a THURSDAY. At least thats what it say's on my calender, I don't know about yours.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u

October 23 is on a THURSDAY. At least thats what it say's on my calender, I don't know about yours.

Ooops! You're right!

:waves hand at attempted Jedi Mind Trick: "Pay No Attention To My Mistake....."

Yes, the 23rd is THURSDAY, sorry y'all. Was late when I posted last night.

That or, well, this is ATS so it might be a time slip or something!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

That is a really great site, both eclipses for October are below the horizon in my neck of the woods. The next shot I have at seeing a total lunar eclipse is on Sept 27/28 of 2015 and a total solar on April 8 2024, sweeeet.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21

It is a cool site.

They're showing that on 21 August, 2017 where I live will be an actual Total Solar Eclipse. So only a 3 year wait for us here.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
Take that Europe!

I've noticed that most solar eclipses happen anywhere but Europe. We are lucky to get a partial lunar eclipse now and then.

Sod's law, I guess.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Probably not since it is a partial eclipse but the Northwest gets a total eclipse near the Equinox March 20, 2015.
They had consecutive total eclipses n the years 1943, 1961...

Box with a hole in one end works pretty well for viewing.
Long box with a pinhole in foil facing the sun gives finer resolution but the disk will be lower contrast.
You can see the shadow of the moon clearly moving across the sun disk at the far end of the box.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just a reminder that this happens today!

Starts in about 5 hours!

new topics

top topics

join