It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook tells DEA "Stop impersonating users"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Facebook has sent a letter to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration demanding that agents stop impersonating users on the social network.
The letter follows a BuzzFeed report that revealed how the DEA seized a woman's phone and later created a Facebook account in her name.

Right in the laugh out loud category, and posse comitatus.

Facebook reportedly asked the DEA to stop impersonating users. After an account of such was posted to buzz feed. I know the story also got traction on ATS. I think what happened is they arrested the girl, set up a profile with her pictures from her personal phone, to message someone in her "friends' list, or a friend of hers, so they could apprehend that friend.

I know some feel corporations are in bed with government at every angle, but as manipulative and controlling that the government agencies can be, corporations are equally so, and I get the feeling that either one wants to be the sole party encroaching on your personal life/information.
money.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Somebody just hacked my ATS account and gave you a f&s!

This was really childish, and if Facebook has to go public with calling them out you know it had to have happened after some pretty interesting inner-office corporate meeting. Ahhh, to be a fly on that wall.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
They should stop telling people what to do with their bodies. I know they're just following orders but that's no excuse.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Oh this is rich:

She has sued the DEA agent who set up the account. The Justice Department is backing him up, claiming federal agents have the right to do such things.

But of course they do
They are the D.E.A.[/sarcasm]

Well, a way to prevent something like this, is --hold on--not to go on FB....*horrors*
Stop posting everything you do for the world to see

That's why lawyers looove FB because they usually can find some dirt on whoever they are trying to get, whether it's for a divorce case, child custody, insurance fraud, etc. they find the pictures to help their case
Because now a days, everybody posts everything without thinking of the consequences later on

I think we are one of the few that don't do FB/Twitter.....thank goodness!!

edit on 20-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ahhh...Facebook good for you - such a righteous corporation. /end sarcasm

Righteous corporation = oxymoron.

The PR stunts are really getting ludicrous...even some of the sheep are starting to see this.
edit on 20-10-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

Kind of like Apple locking out the feds? They're probably allowing them in through other channels

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
"Stop manipulating Facebook users, that's our job!"

While it may or may not be wrong for the DEA to impersonate arrested persons on Facebook, the way I see it is if people are dumb enough to discuss illegal activities over Facebook, such as buying or selling drugs, then they deserve to get caught. That'd be like walking into a police station and shouting out "Hey! I have drugs in my pocket!".

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

It wasn't like that though, she was arrested and they just decided to use her phone to track someone down because they knew she knew him. Its a huge invasion of privacy. I don't think the cases were related either. Its like if you were arrested drunk driving and they used your car to impersonate you for a hooker/john bust.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Oh this is rich:

She has sued the DEA agent who set up the account. The Justice Department is backing him up, claiming federal agents have the right to do such things.

But of course they do

Well, a way to prevent something like this, is --hold on--not to go on FB....*horrors*

That's why lawyers looove FB because they usually can find some dirt on whoever they are trying to get, whether it's for a divorce case, child custody, insurance fraud, etc. they find the pictures to help their case
Because now a days, everybody posts everything without thinking of the consequences later on

So holder would have no problem if I set up a fake facebook account in his name?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: guitarplayer

So holder would have no problem if I set up a fake facebook account in his name?

Hee-hee.....go ahead, give it a try

Let us know when the MIB show up

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

It wasn't like that though, she was arrested and they just decided to use her phone to track someone down because they knew she knew him. Its a huge invasion of privacy. I don't think the cases were related either. Its like if you were arrested drunk driving and they used your car to impersonate you for a hooker/john bust.

Another thing that is wrong with this, is that her 'friend' may think she set him up on purpose
Think of the repercussions if he decided to get some kind of payback revenge on her...could turn out pretty bad

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The DEA has done so many things this year that rival the antics of monkeys, and things which don't really have much to do with professionalism or even a simple work ethic, let alone what people would expect from an agency with responsibility like we assume the DEA to be handling daily. This, plus they have a chief administrator who has been a public laughing stock from both major political parties, both of which have been calling for her resignation over bizarre public statements on her views. (Sadly, crazy people rarely can accept that they are ill and continue onward towards oblivion).

With these sorts of people running a critical function like what people believe the DEA should be doing, it isn't a surprise to conclude that it is really just a kindergarten menagerie of child minds playing with matches and chemistry without the social development, or the ethical barriers that used to be respected and adhered to before instituting critical mandates which affect the entire country, and even other economies.

It's a FREE-FOR-ALL of children now, who make their own rules, and they don't care what you think about them privately or publicly. They are having so much fun, and who is going to stop them?

These people believe that we all start out in 监狱 - jiānyù (Prison). And Government decides if and when anything we do, or can do in life, will be, or will not be subject to their prison. (Like Obama's dream world visions for all humanity)America is already there. And if they don't like you, they will make up some crap and put you there.
Perhaps their offspring will see the lunacy of this when they are still innocent and growing up, and lace their food with cyanide, saving the entire planet?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Not only did they set up the fake account using pictures from her phone, they posted pictures of her kids. They didn't just endanger her with the drug ring leaders, they endangered her kids.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Kind of like Apple locking out the feds? They're probably allowing them in through other channels

Apple did not stop the feds the feds are getting wiser. Truth be told I am glad to see it. When they no longer try and hide what they are doing things start looking like 1940 Germany. Spies.......spy.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Hah, likely and probably so they don't get sued are pretending to give a #. Regardless it's bad for business, figure since there's sort of an exodus going on already, can't afford more leaving(sure the NSA and others who want the timelines feels the same) for these reasons coupled with many other.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Another thing that is wrong with this, is that her 'friend' may think she set him up on purpose
Think of the repercussions if he decided to get some kind of payback revenge on her...could turn out pretty bad

That was my first thought when I saw the story in the news. Chances are its probably not going to go that way, but who are the cops to know if the person is cartel related, or even just a violent gang member, not all of them have severe rap sheets (yet), actions like this could easily cost someone their life.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Perhaps their offspring will see the lunacy of this when they are still innocent and growing up, and lace their food with cyanide, saving the entire planet?

Simply growing up not to be the same kind of douchebags is good enough for me. Doubtful that will happen though, seems like they get worse each generation.

Although some are actually waking up and just spotting the nonsense immediately. The propaganda is seeded deep within. At such early ages, it's hard to break down.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Can only speak from personal experience, and I'm not American but many countries still have laws on the books which allow police and other government agencies to actively mislead suspects in often very specific ways.

As an example, they can provide an image of a dead person to a suspect to convince that suspect the person is still alive to urge a confession etc ... I have a feeling some of this is operating off of old telecommunications laws which have simply been applied to the internet in general.

What's funny about this is its large corporation vs large government. Public loses probably.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
It only stands to reason. Facebook wants all their users to register under their given legal names.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Oh this is rich:

But of course they do

Actually, that does not solve the problem. I do not use Facebook, but if i were arrested and the cops set up a page in my name, my friends and family would just say to themselves "Well finally, Enigmato has joined us in the 21st century!" and would believe it was me who made the account. Unless you are saying for the friend of the girl who got busted then yes you are correct, it would have been to his advantage to be a paranoid conspiracy nut lol.

So, I'm a little confused. Did this girl already have an account? And they made a copy of her account and re-added all her contacts and re uploaded all the same pics? Or did she not have an account but they set one up and began adding people she knew? If so, that would not be "impersonating users". That would be "impersonating non-users"... right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join