It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puppy-sized spider shocks scientist in Rainforest

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Why the hell are they near that thing id have a #%*%ing heart attack... Idk why i click this thread I regret it!
edit on 21-10-2014 by 3u40r15m because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
As a spider lover and owner of tarantulas, I was totally excited about this. I find them actually cute. The bigger the better. I could love that eight legged sweetie.
Just to explain how I got to this point [it might help people who are scared of these 'cats of the arachnid world'.
As a young kid I was scare of spiders because it seemed the 'done thing'. Everyone expects you to say eeeew and run away screaming.
But I still was fascinated and fed some in their webs. It helped that my parents weren't squeamish and showed me that they are quite interesting animals.

Then I got a microscope in which you could catch insects and look at them and then release them afterwards. I caught a spider and looked at it and it looked back with the cutest eyes ever!

It was from then on that I saw spiders in a different light. I have never been scared of them or found them disgusting. Their body shape is awsome, they are more scared of us than you can imagine but you must have respect for some [i.e the poisonous ones or those that can nip you and it hurts].

Apart from that they are adorable. My tarantula used to come out regularly for a huddle in my palms whilst watching TV.

I'd love to have a big like the one discovered!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Bird eating spiders are my favorites - and they are huge! But unlike their smaller brethren not so deadly.

Thanks. F&S&

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Black widows make some odd webs as well. They always seem to be in areas that have water nearby like well houses and pipes.

Thanks for the heads up, fellow okie. Don't see 'em too often in my corner (SW) of the state though, but there is a species around that looks nearly identical, with the red marking. Only main difference is they're not shiny black, like a real black widow.

Strange about the water connection, I just heard from a friend the other day who was bitten by one in his sleep. And lives in the desert of Arizona. Thankfully the ER got it handled quickly and all should be fine.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

As I just said in another thread, if this spider and a lawyer were both drowning, I'd still save the spider.

Ever since I saw my first life-sized picture of one of these spiders in a Guinness book of Records I have been in awe of these bad boys.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
"Honey!!!!! Get my gun, and do NOT come in here..."

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silicis n Volvo

A little over-kill but yeah, that about sums it up!! LOL

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Its a Goliath bird eating spider, well known as the largest known species of spider! To call it puppy size is misleading as puppies come in different sizes dependent on which breed they are!!! These spiders are absolutely huge and live in burrows in the jungle floor! Not sure why its in here but cool spider

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I watched a co-worker go through hell and almost loose his leg over a Brown Recluse. It was in Eureka, CA.

He bought a used couch at a flea market and apparently someone from Florida had carried it inside a couch to CA. He slept on it and woke up with a giant bump on his leg.

He went through a very hard time with it and it would not heal. Poor guy, I felt for him. Definitely not a spider to mess with.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I've found dozens of recluses in Michigan, heard countless stories too. I reckon if they can make it in Michigan they can be just about anywhere.

edit on 22-10-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Sweet lord jesus. I don't suffer from arachnophobia, but if a spider that big crept up on me I think that would change real fast.
edit on 22/10/2014 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bundy
a reply to: Dimithae

I'm kind of into spiders so i can say for certain that while it may be the third he's seen in the wild they aren't extremely rare or anything. You can actually own one for yourself for a mere 50-80 dollars. Yep, that's right folks, these thing's are sold in pet stores.

I found some better pics on google that aren't using any camera trickery but im not certain on how to post pics without downloading them. One shows a guy with both his hands out side by side and this thing is larger than both his hands combined. I've also seen a video where a guy lets one crawl on his head and it gets on his face and covers his entire face. I dont mind spiders but yeah, I'll definitely say nope to having one on my face.

Edit: Also apparently these things live for 15-25 years. I had no idea they lived that long but that's pretty impressive for a bug imo.

I LOVE spiders and you are correct, these aren't rare at all... I used to own one. While the perception in this pic may be skewed a bit, they do get FAR larger than a human hand.

I too used to keep them in my office. At one time I had a Goliath bird eater, a pink toe, a chaco golden knee, and a Mexican red knee in here all at once and everybody loved them, including the ladies

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
When i lived in chaska, mn trailer park my neighbor came over and asked me to kill a spider for her because she hates spiders, so i agreed. When i got there 5 people were standing around and i asked," where is it". They all pointed at the top portion of the garage and when i looked, i was dumb founded. The thing was obviously larger than my two hands put together in dia. I'd say, 14 in. dia. I got as close as i dared to and it was a light brown with long hair and long legs and a huge nest. I went to my garage to get the broom. I later found out this was a mistake. I took the broom and swatted at it and missed. IT flew like a bat out of hell from the nest. We all ran. We found it by the edge of the garage in the thick grass. I then went to the garage to get the snow shovel and kept bashing until i thought i got it. I killed it and dumped it in the trash can. To bad noone thought of takin pics. A real doozie. a year later, after i moved out , another spider was spotted going under her trailer. I'm glad i don't live by there anymore, who knows how many more of them are under her trailer.
Kreepy and fast.

My sister moved in with a friend here in N. Florida years ago, and the house was old. They had these massive spiders that seemed to be about 6 to 8 inches across from leg to leg that they called "Kongs". The sad thing was her friend had extreme arachnophobia and these things terrified her! One night a male friend of the family was sleeping over and she screamed and told him to kill a spider, to get his shoe and he finally saw it on the pine wall, and he thought it was a knot of pine. He said, "To hell with the shoe, get me a damn broom!" They tore the house up looking for it cause it was super fast as it would flatten out and run like hell.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic
Range of Brown Recluse:

That map is not quite right. We have oodles of them here in Florida.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I recall reading somewhere once that the amount of oxygen in our atmosphere dictates the max size of insects. More=Bigger.
Now that is a damn scary thought!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I got a good story for you spider haters.

A couple of weeks ago, i got out of the shower and i went into my bedroom. I dropped my towel and went to sit down on my bed. I looked at where i was going to sit but i was already dedicated to my sitting movement (Late for work) and i saw something move right into the spot my buttocks were heading for. I immediately stood up because i knew what it was. Looking at my bed, there was a large dead brown recluse. I know it's kinda scary to think about getting bit by a spider, but i think I'd rather get bit by a spider than crushed by a giant nude white ass. Spiders-0, Me- too many to count.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just to let all the sceptics out there know, yes they do get to the size they are describing. I've owned one as a pet and she grew to about 10 inches before my heat tragically broke down in the winter and a few of our critters didnt make it.

You can find them being sold in petshops and reptile/amphibian shows all over canada and the USA.

They make as a fascinating pet, I highly suggest doing your research and owning one!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
That's all right, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join