It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puppy-sized spider shocks scientist in Rainforest

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

Well, I was cruising through the replies (notably a little quicker than usual) patting myself on the back for not being fraid of no dang spider... then I read your reply...

Nope

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga
a reply to: snarky412

Why do journalists think we are so stupid that we cannot understand measurements... Or are key words like puppy and kitten a sure way to get people to read your crap? Maybe we the public are stupid.

I know...the puppies we always have had --labs-- weigh a lot more than 6 oz. ...LOL
And a hell of a lot cuter!!

a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

LOL...yeah, like I said my sister hates spiders--regardless of size-- and I would love to have a hidden camera and prank my sister with this baby!!
Oh man, what a sight that would be. LOL

I'm the baby out of 4 so, that would be a great pay back from when we were kids

edit on 20-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I read this and had a real issue with this. I hate spiders. Okay now that I got that out of the way I'll move on. It says in the article that this guy in the last 10-15 years had only run across 3 of these. Okay,so I guess there aren't many of them right? Well this dipstick then takes this one and brings it back to America and puts it in a museum. I'm like WTF??? If there are so few of them,why in the hell would you take only THE THIRD ONE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN. And take it away so it can't breed like it was intended to do? For the life of me,I just don't get this thinking. Oh last one of the species? No problem,WE'LL KILL IT AND STUFF IT! I mean comon.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

I can't find any cases of someone shooting a spider but there's a surprising amount of people who burn down their houses by trying to ignite areosol spray and flamethrower a spider.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
a reply to: sarra1833

If I ever ran into one I know I would probably exercise my right to bear arms in an unusual and hopefully defendable in the eyes of the law fashion. Think the cops would blame me for defending myself with a concealed weapon?

I'm gonna do some digging and see if anyone ever had to defend themselves in court for using their Concealed pistol to kill a spider in defense.... Lol. I'm sure they've been used in dog attacks but spider attack? Lol il report back what I find.

LMAO....*spits soda on keyboard*

Hmmm, kinda like 'Stand Your Ground' type thingy except it being a spider instead of a humanoid
Might work....LOL

We'll let you be the guinea pig and find out!!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

I read this and had a real issue with this. I hate spiders. Okay now that I got that out of the way I'll move on. It says in the article that this guy in the last 10-15 years had only run across 3 of these. Okay,so I guess there aren't many of them right? Well this dipstick then takes this one and brings it back to America and puts it in a museum. I'm like WTF??? If there are so few of them,why in the hell would you take only THE THIRD ONE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN. And take it away so it can't breed like it was intended to do? For the life of me,I just don't get this thinking. Oh last one of the species? No problem,WE'LL KILL IT AND STUFF IT! I mean comon.

Very good point....

Why can't they just leave Mother Nature alone and study them in their own environment
A lab has totally different environmental conditions than the Rainforest
Hope the spider doesn't end up dying in captivity

Maybe the other spiders have sense enough to stay hidden when large predators are around, i.e. humans, and that's why others have not been noticed by Man

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Lol, the title makes it sound like a giant spider is out there with the ability to electrocute it's foes, in this case a scientist.

Terrifying though, I once had a cane spider charge straight towards my nearly bare foot with what seemed to be ill intent, and that was freaky enough. I also had a war with a centipede during that life chapter. Thank God for me now being back home in Alaska
No monstrous Arachnids here brothers and sisters.
edit on 20-10-2014 by GoShredAK because: Fixed

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
a reply to: mindseye1609

My train is going 'nope nope nope nope' instead of 'choo choo choo' lol.
I'm terrified of spiders smaller than a millimeter. THAT is too big.

A foot long? JUST MY SUB SANDWICHES, THANKS. hahaha

but yeah i know the hand to spider is off, but still.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.
and did I mention 'nope'? xD

Oh come on, be a sport!!

I remember back in high school, my sister freaked out and would not go into her bedroom because of a spider
Needless to say, after picking on her about it for a few minutes, I went in there and killed it for her
Then I chased her around with it on the paper towel!! Oh what a hoot that was. LOL

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

NOPE!

I wouldnt even know how to kill it. Like first thought first couple seconds, "what, this, no that will only anger it, that, no that will make it get crazy and crawl into my body and eat me from the inside out".....gun. log, boulder...no, big boulder...Bigger...

on a side note, my sister went there...she never mentioned crazy ass crap like this. I am going to give her a call tomorrow. Maybe one of these spiders crawled into her brain and is controlling her and thats why she has been weird ever since...
edit on 10 20 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NoAngel2u

Me or anyone else who was there had no idea what kind of spider it was or even if it was poisonous or what. All i was worried about was getting bit and if there were any more of them to worry about. I hate spiders. Even that nasty small spider the recluse can do some serious damage to your body.God only knows what that thing could of done. It was so fast. It flew off the wall of the garage and quickly moved into the tall grass. We all ran because we thought it was attacking us. Maybe it was, then retreated into the tall grass for a sneak attack. who knows. I glad i don't live there anymore.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

My reaction:

Thanks for the nightmare fuel! Funnily enough, its not the big spiders you have to worry about. Tarantulas take care of many of the pest insects in my neck of the woods, along with the Garden and Wolf variety of spiders. They're the good ones, and pretty big.

Fiddlebacks (brown recluse) and Black Widows on the other hand, are tiny, venomous and highly dangerous. So I'm more skeered of the small spiders.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

I'm kind of into spiders so i can say for certain that while it may be the third he's seen in the wild they aren't extremely rare or anything. You can actually own one for yourself for a mere 50-80 dollars. Yep, that's right folks, these thing's are sold in pet stores.

I found some better pics on google that aren't using any camera trickery but im not certain on how to post pics without downloading them. One shows a guy with both his hands out side by side and this thing is larger than both his hands combined. I've also seen a video where a guy lets one crawl on his head and it gets on his face and covers his entire face. I dont mind spiders but yeah, I'll definitely say nope to having one on my face.

Edit: Also apparently these things live for 15-25 years. I had no idea they lived that long but that's pretty impressive for a bug imo.

edit on 21-10-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic

My reaction:

Thanks for the nightmare fuel! Funnily enough, its not the big spiders you have to worry about. Tarantulas take care of many of the pest insects in my neck of the woods, along with the Garden and Wolf variety of spiders. They're the good ones, and pretty big.

Fiddlebacks (brown recluse) and Black Widows on the other hand, are tiny, venomous and highly dangerous. So I'm more skeered of the small spiders.

LMAO.....that was too funny!!
Thanks for the laugh....

Yeah, I'm leery of Black Widow's too
Killed a few, luckily I see them before they see me!!

So far, can't say that I've run into a Brown Recluse..........yet
I've seen on documentaries where they leave one hell of scar where they've bitten the victim ...ugh

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I'd rather have a puppy. I doubt that you could house train it and look into it's eight little eyes and see that it adores you.
The crazy thing is I'm not as frightened of it as I would be of a smaller spider. You can definitely see and hear this thing coming, unlike those critters that build nests in your boots.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I had a Chilean Rose Tarantula in the 1990's that was maybe five inches across and got interested in these large fellows. They mean one foot spread out flat, legs splayed.

I had the Tarantula in my office and oddly the ladies loved it and spent time around it, while the guys walked in a circle around it looking worried. It was not as large as a Bird Eater, but pretty large. They are very fragile, need an almost perfect environment and temperature and even a fall of a few inches causes them to bleed out. Their blood does not clot and they slowly die if bumped hard or if they fall off of something.

I got some books from a fellow who seemed to be the only real expert in the US at the time. He was at a university in Seattle. When I found out that Bird Eaters were very aggressive, my wife would not let me order a young one.
Some Tarantulas are docile, but those are supposed to be very aggressive.

Bird Eaters comes from them killing tiny, newly hatched chicks in nests, not much bigger than say a large insect.

There is clearly some exaggeration here and as I recall 11 inches was the record. Their venom is painful to us, but nothing to panic over.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Range of Brown Recluse:

The conventional wisdom is to be wary of any undisturbed, mostly dry areas. A tell-tale sign of nearby fiddlebacks is an asymmetrical, jagged web. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they're one of the only species (at least in my area) to not build a symmetrical web.

They're mostly found in undisturbed barns/storage areas, piles of firewood, etc. And the bite is nasty. Depending on how much venom they get into you, its usually necrotic (flesh-eating) if not treated within 8-12 hours. Indoors, they seem to favor undisturbed cardboard boxes, and clothes that haven't been worn in a while. Not agressive, usually only bite in defense. And full grown, only about the size of a penny.

So shake down your boots and clothes before you get dressed in the morning!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Black widows make some odd webs as well. They always seem to be in areas that have water nearby like well houses and pipes.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I know why the development of orbital weaponry is required and if not a requirement as the moment i showed the missus that spider she would if she could order the nuclear destruction of this planet as even the smallest little things 1/32nd of an inch at best are enough to give her the eeby jeebys while i'm happy with anything that can fit into a pint glass (here in the UK) so i don't hurt them

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Wow! Now I'm not usually troubled by spiders but that one. Phew! That video is awesome and I don't think I would be able to pick up one that huge.

Actually loving this time of year. We have a spider outside on our window and is been fascinating to watch. I was worried as we had the windows cleaned and we didn't see it for ages but it was just hiding. Its hiding just now as its so windy.
edit on 21/10/2014 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Catch them!
Breed them to grow even greater in size!
When the time comes we shall ride our 8 legged mounts valiantly into battle as our enemies run in abject terror!

For Glory!

<< 1    3 >>

join