It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials warn 500 million financial records hacked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
With all the so-called consumer protection laws lately, people would think we can at least feel safe with the banks and how they handle credit/debit cards when WE use the damn things to their advantage.

The banks divvy-up all those small fees charged to merchants and consumers every time a "card" is used.

I'm very disappointed in the recent consumer protection laws that have failed.

Now it seems hundreds of million of people are at great risk.

This can't be "just happening" all by itself can it?

Somebody must be planning these things based on loopholes in the laws

Federal officials warned companies Monday that hackers have stolen more than 500 million financial records over the past 12 months, essentially breaking into banks without ever entering a building.

"We're in a day when a person can commit about 15,000 bank robberies sitting in their basement," said Robert Anderson, executive assistant director of the FBI's Criminal Cyber Response and Services Branch.

The U.S. financial sector is one of the most targeted in the world, FBI and Secret Service officials told business leaders at a cybersecurity event organized by the Financial Services Roundtable. The event came in the wake of mass hacking attacks against Target, Home Depot, JPMorgan Chase and other financial institutions.

Officials warn 500 million financial records hacked

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
We were just in the USA for the weekend, visiting from Canada.

We were absolutely shocked that when you use a credit or debit card to buy something, not only do you not need a PIN, it was also extremely rare for a retailer to check the signature against the back of the card.

Americans seem to want to ensure that they don't get asked for ID to do important stuff like VOTE or have to bother with a PIN, but then love to complain that their finances aren't secure.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

There is another thread here this morning on how the top ten flashlight apps are malware that will send all your info to crooks in China,Russia or India.Smart phones for dumb people...then there is this topic cyber security...Im glad all I use is a computer for internet surfing,although thats scary enough with adds that follow you for weeks after you've looked something up.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

We were absolutely shocked that when you use a credit or debit card to buy something, not only do you not need a PIN, it was also extremely rare for a retailer to check the signature against the back of the card.

Americans seem to want to ensure that they don't get asked for ID to do important stuff like VOTE or have to bother with a PIN, but then love to complain that their finances aren't secure.

You don't understand.
Accountability is unamerican.
The PC police and the convenience cult won't let that happen.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Yeah it's crazy. Twice now I've had my credit card used fraudulently and thankfully it was caught by fraud detection and disallowed. If I had to guess one of those cases was probably the result of one of the many online hacks and one probably the result of me handing my cc to a waitress/waiter.

You just can't trust anyone and surely can't trust stuff online, software is full of holes.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Don't know about data protection..that went out the window years ago. Money, only use the cash in your hand and the rest stick under the bed, bad advice? debatable, since this is Fedspeak backed up by a secret service that is dedicated to, and as we all know are able to infiltrate every nuance in your life. They just want to steal money back that you earned that was never real in the first place. Let's get real 500 Million financial records..X number of $ in each account, smallest to the largest, the numbers are exponential, yet it's the Feds and secret service who have a need to tell people this? FFS Wall street should be awash with people looking for their missing shinola!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I guess this the total fail of yet another Agency who supposedly protects us, NSA,FBI,Secret Service, etc...

-no credit cards
-No loans
-use the computer at the public library
-no cell phone
-absolutely no bank accounts
-Use a post office box
-return all mail
-keep your tinfoil hat on at all times
-throw rocks at strangers

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I want security for my financial affairs !!!!!.....immediately if not sooner....have not had a credit card since 1993......buy what I Want only if I can pay now.... I know, totally UnAmerican.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The biggest question is "by whom?" The gov employs plenty of hackers. Kind of a blanket term.

500 million? Jeeze, what a scary, perfectly round number. *roll eyes*

In God We Trust
(Everyone Else Pays Cash Upfront)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

You hit that nail square on the head. So many see their debit/credit card as nothing more than a "magic money card." It drives me crazy seeing so many use their card for a purchase of about $1, and THEN have the gall to get pouty when they have to sign or enter a pin instead of just "swipe and go."

After getting raped by overdraft/minimum balance fees in '07 or '08, I've refused to take part in the banking system. Spent 50 cents more than i had, and racked up over 300 dollars in fees. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

Cash for everything, and prepaid debit cards for any bills that aren't payable via cash.

edit on 10202014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think my grandparents had it right: Hide actual cash in a shoe box in a closet, or bury it in coffee cans in the back yard.

Both grew up during the Great Depression and trusted banks about as much as you could pick one up and toss it.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I haven't been asked for ID when using a credit card for ten years or more. Now, wouldn't you think that retailers should be asking for ID? I suppose they wouldn't make as much in sales if they did, the kids couldn't borrow dad or mom's card without their permission and buy things. The kids get bitched at and the parents pay the bill.

This society is starting to turn into a society where the deceivers and thieves are protected. We Bail our kids out of trouble without teaching them that they have to be honest. We teach them to lie to get out of things when they get caught instead of teaching them that crime does not pay. So maybe it is not your kid that is ripping you off, it is someone elses kid, one that had the same type of thing going on in their life that your kid did. Now, to say that everyone is like this is not even close, only about twenty percent of homes have this happening, of those, only half have their kids turn out bad. This ratio of about ten percent is much higher than the three percent twenty five years ago. It is getting worse, not better.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: scattergun

-throw rocks at strangers

Thanks for that bit of humour I needed that!

new topics

top topics

join