It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Australian PM Gough Whitlam Dies at 98

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Gough Whitlam, possibly the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever known died on the morning of Tuesday, 21st of October, at 98.
A man who changed politics forever bringing in changes like free education and free healthcare to Australia. There were significant rumours that he was deposed by the CIA for his threats to close down American bases in Australia.

www.theguardian.com...

The towering, patrician Gough Whitlam, who has died aged 98, made his mark in a dynamic and chaotic era of Australian politics. His legacy is to some extent overshadowed by the dramatic nature of his dismissal as prime minister. Yet in three years in the role Whitlam managed to forge himself into the key figure in the shaping of modern Australia.

He pioneered reforms in Aboriginal rights, multiculturalism, university education and healthcare. And, though he had detractors in and outside Labor, Whitlam managed to turn a demoralised and divided party into a relevant political machine, preparing it for power not just during his tenure but in the 13 years of continuous Labor government from 1983.

On the day of Whitlam’s dismissal, 11 November 1975 – amid a bitter constitutional crisis which is still fiercely debated – he famously proclaimed: “Well may we say God save the Queen, because nothing will save the governor general.” The Queen’s official representative, the governor general, Sir John Kerr – whom Whitlam had appointed – had used his reserve powers to sack the government. True to Whitlam’s prediction, Kerr never recovered from the ignominy of the decision.

I have to go out, so I cannot to this topic justice at the moment, but I hope others who feel the same way may feel it worthy to contribute.

Gough Whitlam RIP.
edit on 20-10-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yes there was a lot more to that dismissal than senate blocking supply

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
He was a wonderful Australian - along with his wife Margaret.

I know that somewhere they are together again.

Rest peacefully, Gough .

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

Gough Whitlam, possibly the greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever known

The Australian voters did not think so, remember that Australia did not want him back as PM.

The Coalition of Fraser's Liberal Party of Australia and Doug Anthony's National Country Party secured government in its own right, winning the largest majority government in Australian history. Although Fraser had no need for the support of the National Country Party, the Coalition was retained. Labor suffered a 30-seat swing and saw its caucus cut almost in half, to 36 seats--fewer than it had when Whitlam became leader in the aftermath of the 1966 election.

edit on 21-10-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
About 10 years ago I shared an elevator with Mr Whitlam.
Id been working in an office on William St in Sydney and had heard he worked there also (he was a part time consultant of some sort). I always thought if I ever saw him Id boldly walk up and introduce myself, my chance came one day in an elevator, Mr Whitlam, his assistant, some random Woman and me all got in the lift at the ground, I thought to myself "just turn around and say hi" but for some reason I didnt.
Next thing I know the lady is giggling like a little girl and saying how she cant believe hes in her lift, he turned to me with a cheeky grin and said "this bloke doesnt look to impressed"

After he provided the opening I shook his hand, introduced myself and told him (as per instruction from my Mum if I ever met him) That my Mum was one of the ones protesting the day the Gov Gen fired him.

I only met him for 30 seconds and he was a bit before my time but he seemed like a genuine bloke, may he rest in peace

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

All i can remember about this chap, was Queen Elizabeth II had him removed from the office of Prime Minister.

Sounds like he was a decent chap

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: cuckooold

All i can remember about this chap, was Queen Elizabeth II had him removed from the office of Prime Minister.

She had nothing at all to do with him being sacked.... she has no say at all in the running of Australia.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

He pioneered reforms in Aboriginal rights

That Reminds me of this Classic Song.

From Youtube

Lucille Hughes21 hours ago

The 'tall man' was the great Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam - he died today and I will never forget what he did for all Australians

RIP Gough

edit on 21-10-2014 by James1970 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce
Going by this I'd say the Queen has a lot to do with the running of Australia -

The extracts also reveal that Mr Kerr informed opposition leader Malcolm Fraser on October 17, 1975, the day after the budget was blocked, of his fear that he would be removed from office.
"He (Mr Fraser) said it was inconceivable," Mr Kerr wrote.
"His reaction was to say the Queen would never permit it."

[url=http://]http://www.news.com.au/national/letter-reveals-queen-prepared-to-sack-john-kerr-if-gough-whitlam-had-asked/story-fndo4eg9-1226493267577[/ url]
www.news.com.au...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CatSavage
Going by this I'd say the Queen has a lot to do with the running of Australia -

You would be very wrong there - the only say in the running of Australia is she appoints the Governor General. That is it.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Kerr spoke to Prince Charles and the GG had conferred with the 'palace'

It also describes how Kerr took ''the extreme step'' of raising the possible dismissal of the Whitlam government with Prince Charles in September 1975, when they met in Port Moresby for an event to mark the transition to an
independent Papua New Guinea. ''Neither Kerr nor the palace ever revealed that, weeks before any action in the Senate had been taken [to block supply], the governor-general had already conferred with the palace on the possibility of the future dismissal of the prime minister, securing in advance the response of the palace to it,'' Hocking writes.

Read more: www.smh.com.au...

www.brisbanetimes.com.au...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
RIP Malcolm Fraser, the man who infamously became Prime Minister of Australia after the Governor Generals sacking of Gough Whitlam.

He was a good man.
edit on 19-3-2015 by James1970 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join