It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA err

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

It was supposed to have been the definitive piece of scientific evidence that finally exposed the true identify of Jack the Ripper after he had brutally murdered at least five women on the streets of Whitechapel in the East End of London, 126 years ago.

A 23-year-old Polish immigrant barber called Aaron Kosminski was "definitely, categorically and absolutely" the man who carried out the atrocities in 1888, according to a detailed analysis of DNA extracted from a silk shawl allegedly found at the scene of one of his murders.

However, the scientist who carried out the DNA analysis has apparently made a fundamental error that fatally undermines his case against Kosminski – and once again throws open the debate over who the identity of the Ri

Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'

You know what? I'm actually kinda happy. I like that there are still some unsolved mysteries out there.

I'll be honest, the DNA stuff went right over my head.

Had Dr Louhelainen done this, and followed standard forensic practice, he would have discovered the mutation was not rare at all but shared by more than 99 per cent of people of European descent.

A spokesperson for publishers Sidgwick & Jackson said: "The author stands by his conclusions. We are investigating the reported error in scientific nomenclature.

Fine. To me it sounds like it was either a mistake or someone had some conclusions and wanted to make them fit the evidence. Gotta recoup losses spent on that shawl! Selling a book would certainly help.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
So Jack roams free again (in historical terms), and the polish fellow is semi-exonerated (to the relief of his ancestors and those who have other horses in the race). Principled of the scientist to admit his mistake.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
God damnit. I'm normally sceptical of everything on this site, but I've been stung twice now lately.

First, I may have gotten a little overly stressed and panicky with the Ebola thing..... *whistles innocently* (to the point of technically issuing a death threat... ooops) and I also thought the DNA on the shawl was the closest we'd likely ever get to a slam dunk in this case and naming the Ripper.

Now I look the fool with egg upon my face.

So that's is, back to hardened sceptic. As far as I'm concerned you're all filthy hobbits (members) after my ring (brain).

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
So he's not Churchill's father then ?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

It's okay.
I don't like Frieden either.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Nows our chance then to set him up as the Ripper. Obviously he'll need to venture back to the past to accomplish those dastardly deeds. This of course makes him the Time Ripper. His mode of travel will be a phone box with a broken out window (replaced with sticky tape).

I think we have just started a hit new tv series.

(we are well off topic, sorry Domo) I have though learned a lesson. Never trust anyone with a book for sale.
edit on 20-10-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Oh weird, I didn't think I could edit. Don't be sorry, off topic is fine too. Just don't tell the mods.
edit on 2020141020141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
A Polish immigrant barber didn't fit the profile at all. Jack THe Ripper was supposed to be someone schooled as a Medical Doctor, who was able to pass through high society. A Polish Immigrant just doesn't fit the bill.

My money is still on SIr Arthur Conan Doyle. If you read the Sherlock Holmes stories, many of Holmes' statements mocking the police are in a very similar tone to those of the Ripper letters. Conan Doyle was also a medical doctor before he was a writer, and would have easily passed and been celebrated by high society as a wealthy man.

He would also have been able to take advantage of the apparent incompetency of the police at exactly the right time for the release of his books, which had incompetency of the police as their main theme.

Conan Doyle was also obviously a very intelligent man, who would have been able to stop his murders once the role they played was complete.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I still think that they've got the correct suspect. There were too many coincidences where that man was concerned. I thought that the DNA was tested by multiple labs, and that they obtained a match via testing the family members of the supposed killer, thus I will have to do some research to understand just why they're claiming there was an error. DNA testing is supposed to be cut and dry, definitive and scientific, so how can mistakes be made so often, such as where law enforcement is concerned, or anything of a controversial nature? So I just mean that DNA is not as definitive as most people believe, considering it is not black or white, cut and dry, rather there are apparently different ways one can interpret things. In this case there was something about a mutation, but again, I did not think this had anything to do with how they identified the supposed killer.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
dp
edit on 20-10-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
A Polish immigrant barber didn't fit the profile at all. Jack THe Ripper was supposed to be someone schooled as a Medical Doctor, who was able to pass through high society. A Polish Immigrant just doesn't fit the bill.

The jewish barber guild in Poland WERE medical surgeons until end of the 19th century. the professions were combined for over 500 years.

He therefore fits the profile.

That said the testing was bollox in this last claim. The 'scarf' that has been handled by everyone and their dog pulled DNA that could be connected to 500 000 people, not to mention it was a table runner style and fabric from 15- 20 years later. certainly not at the scene. It was confirmed by the V and A museum as later fabric and handed back from the Black Museum to the owner as it was labelled NOT ripper evidence

edit on 20-10-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Hurumph!

I guess there are just some things we aren't meant to know and must forever speculate on!

Who was Jack The Ripper?

Who really killed JFK?

Are we sure that's just a rock and not a boat anchor on Mars????

Actually, while answers are good, I think life would be boring without some conspiracies that we argue about and never seem to answer.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
A nother article
edit on 2020141020141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Who was Jack The Ripper?

Who really killed JFK?

Don't be dumb. Obviously the same person.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
For my money, of which there is none but that matters not, I'll take the guy who escaped from the mental institution and came back like forty years later or so. Don't remember his name but the show, of which I also don't remember the name but it recently got replayed on the History Channel(I think it was) had him possibly coming to America. Following his writings of where he said he had been and loads of Ripper style killings were happening.

But what do I know.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Holy crap...so you're saying that he's out there roaming the streets and they don't know who he is?? Just in time for Halloween too...oh my.

Stay safe Great Britain, stay safe.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
i have to go with the royal connection,,the evidence for the queens crested coach in the area and the fact every police officer
in london was looking for this man and he managed to evade them .
the coach in my opinion was the only way this person slipped the net.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Great news, that means that Jack the Ripper (J.R) could still be Jose Rizal (J.R.)!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: eriktheawful

Who was Jack The Ripper?

Who really killed JFK?

Don't be dumb. Obviously the same person.

Hrmmmmm.

A Time Traveling Serial Killer......

You know, I've seen much more stranger things suggested here on ATS......

You should make a thread on it!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Now I look the fool with egg upon my face.

lol, join the club

top topics

<<   2 >>

join