It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rant at that Unemployment Career Center Office by me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I've been out of work for about 4 months now w/o much luck. 20 years Graphic Design, 9 years with the last employer. The huge Company I worked for was taken over by an even bigger Company and then came layoffs, no raises, trimming Benefits and usual things like Parties, Perks etc gone. I survived some big layoffs, but finally my number came up. I could see it coming, and tried to make myself and small crew I worked with more valuable to the Company to no avail, it always fell on deaf ears.

Today I went to the Unemployment Career Center for support, if nothing more. And sat for 2 hours through pretty much the same old stuff most everybody already knows, I guess I got agitated feeling I was wasting my time and said. "You know all the information you are presenting would be great if the Economy was working for us, but as it is the formulas don't work". Well the lecturer quickly changed course and said quickly, "it depends where you are" and tried to ignore me for the remainder, but I blurted out a couple more like "Mitt Romoney "Harvesting Companies" Lines before leaving and making the class feeling dreadful. Made me feel bad I opened my yap. But at the same time I feel on so many levels the Country is in a serious state of Cognitive Dissonance, ignoring the real problems and smiling while some bastard sticks a knife in your back.

Thanks for reading. I feel lost.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Aren't Graphic Design and Newspapers being steadily replaced by the web, apps on phones?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Sorry for your being laid off. I went through that emotional meat grinder at three companies during my time in computers. Each time I would seek out unemployment and each time they gave me a little bit to get along. The thing I realized is the unemployment offices is not where people go to get employed. Its where they go to get unemployment (money).

All the seminar and forms and checking the jobs available board is pretty much useless . Jump through their hoops to get the checks and use your time to get a job in your field by looking for it yourself.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

Aren't Graphic Design and Newspapers being steadily replaced by the web, apps on phones?

Who do you think designs those? I did Websites in the dot com bubble, I have a lot of catching up to do.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Unfortunately that's the way of the world. Good jobs, benefits, long term positions, bonuses - all gone due to outsourcing. And other companies buying current companies and then knocking people off one by one and reducing worker's previous working rights: breaks, hours, changing full time to p/t and temporary.

This is a huge, huge battle right now. I am the result of outsourcing and I will never have the same job or same benefits or pay, etc, etc as I did. All because my country gave away my job to another country and now the people working at my current job don't know how to spell, never mind how to do the same task day in and day out. It's going to ruin our country/countries and economics.

Time to rethink the whole work mode. Don't know how but there's got to be something we can do to fight this. Or let me rephrase that: something we can do to find ourselves in as good a position as previously because all they've done is used us for so many years and then spit us out. I worked for 30 years at my specific job and gave the company my all. And I"m still waiting for my references - we all keep asking but nothing shows up. Nice kick in the face.

But somehow, some way I will find a way to kick the dirt aside and rise up above.

I feel for you, really do. At my age, 49, good luck. I'm up against the younger crowd, my skills need serious upgrading or a new job career. No one will want to hire me at my age/limited skills. I now have medical issues (time related) and so my job options are even more limited.

It's a new and sick world. Perhaps the job centre can train you at their expense? This is something I have heard through the grapevine but not sure of it.

Don't let THEM get you down. We can rise up above this greedy world.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull
49? just a kid. I'm 58. I started working at 13. I got working papers that allowed to work at a fancy restaurant scrubbing pots til 1 in the morning. I've worked thru school, and College (A Good College in Boston, Dean's List), got a Degree with a minor and went back to school to get a Certificate in Graphic Design. I played their f•cking game with enthusiasm and work hard and loyally.

So what do we do. We stand up like I did and vocalize what that hell is going on in this Country instead letting a handful of greedy people who think they are better than us determine our fate. I don't want work to be my Life. I don't want to be anything like Mitt Romney, and I don't want a hand out. I want fair honest work. When I was scrubbing those pots I got a raises and a "cost of living increase! Making 1.30 an hour. The Government let us down, the Leaders let us down. Fight Back, if they can't control Wall Street, fight Wall Street, best way is to Shame them, it is the only thing that gets to what is left of their souls.

These Rich Bastards need some resistance, why don't the terrorists behead them and do us all a favor, they are both our enemies.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I am a well rounded general laborer.... and I'm out of a job. This world sucks because of a combination of everything the usa is has fallen apart!

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I always am sad when people loose their jobs at BIG CORPORATIONS, because of some silly merger. Your job loss is tough. However, this did present itself a opportunity did it not. There are plenty of freelance jobs in your field. Forget about working for others. Work for yourself. Freelance and make some connections. You may find another corporate job if freelancing is not something that works well with you.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I always am sad when people loose their jobs at BIG CORPORATIONS, because of some silly merger. Your job loss is tough. However, this did present itself a opportunity did it not. There are plenty of freelance jobs in your field. Forget about working for others. Work for yourself. Freelance and make some connections. You may find another corporate job if freelancing is not something that works well with you.

I did Freelance for 8 years, it was good, years ago for me, and perhaps it is good for some still, but nobody wants to pay you what you are worth now. Last Job I had Freelancing paid $12hr, so I went back to a soul sucking Corporation.

The Graphic field is over saturated (like so many) I actually want out, but seems like most everything I see is $10 an hour, I made that in the 70's. Damn the Corporate USA and it's followers.

If their isn't Campaign Finance, paid for by Tax Payers ONLY in the future, we are doomed. Goldman Sachs (the devil itself) has increased Campaign spending by 40% this year, slime buckets. Proud Money Changers should be reeled in like the slimy bottom life they are.

new topics

top topics

join