It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there an organized effort to undermine the Aliens and UFOs forum?

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: draknoir2

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: debonkers

Poor kid.

You should have listened to what your son had to say, he knows more about the subject than you seem to. Instead, you push the "official story" of denial on him.

I raise my kids to think for themselves. He did. Now go away.

Similar thing with my son. On more than one occasion he hit me with a "Everyone knows Fox News lies".

I asked him to give one example. He couldn't. The lesson was to avoid looking like a moron you should be able to back up your assertion with something more than "that's what I heard".

Great lesson but it is true that they lie and they have been caught in it more than a few times....

(cough cough, WMD's found in Iraq, Death Panels, etc)

That's what the channel select on the remote is for. You can choose your spin. Sadly it's not much better on the other outlets, which is why I hang out at MeTV.

But still, not the point.

Same sort of thing happened when my friend proclaimed at Lou Malnati's that Aliens built the pyramids. Not even sure he could roughly point to them on the world map, but he heard that Aliens built them.
edit on 1-2-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ectoplasm8

Is this the inconsistent, wishy-washy methodology that you use to determine if aliens are piloting UFOs? That would explain a few things.

Will I get a passive aggressive response too? I can only hope....

You've got me dead to rights, sir. Excellent post. I'm glad to see someone is paying attention.

edit on 1-2-2015 by debonkers because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Poor kid.

You should have listened to what your son had to say, he knows more about the subject than you seem to. Instead, you push the "official story" of denial on him.

Similar thing with my son. On more than one occasion he hit me with a "Everyone knows Fox News lies".

I asked him to give one example. He couldn't. The lesson was to avoid looking like a moron you should be able to back up your assertion with something more than "that's what I heard".

Great lesson but it is true that they lie and they have been caught in it more than a few times....

Thank you for your post!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: debonkers

Poor kid.

Thank you for your post!

Of course the government lies. Who in hell believes the government? If I don't believe that unicorns exist it's irrelevant to me what the government says about it. It's also irrelevant to me what Whitley Strieber and the government say about extraterrestrials. I want testable evidence. Got any?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Poor kid.

Thank you for your post!

Of course the government lies. Who in hell believes the government? If I don't believe that unicorns exist it's irrelevant to me what the government says about it. It's also irrelevant to me what Whitley Strieber and the government say about extraterrestrials. I want testable evidence. Got any?

Then you agree with the Government there isn't any testable evidence. Aliens visiting Earth is one thing that you and the Government agree upon. No evidence.

The U.S. government has no evidence that any life exists outside our planet, or that an extraterrestrial presence has contacted or engaged any member of the human race. In addition, there is no credible information to suggest that any evidence is being hidden from the public's eye.

Source

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

originally posted by: Tangerine

Poor kid.

Thank you for your post!

Then you agree with the Government there isn't any testable evidence. Aliens visiting Earth is one thing that you and the Government agree upon. No evidence.

The U.S. government has no evidence that any life exists outside our planet, or that an extraterrestrial presence has contacted or engaged any member of the human race. In addition, there is no credible information to suggest that any evidence is being hidden from the public's eye.

Source

The government has made many claims about many things, often contradictory. If you studied the history of ufology, you would know that many of the beliefs "believers" hold about extraterrestrials originated with the government. Think about Roswell, for example. Think about swamp gas, for example. The notion that most ufo sightings are really swamp gas is so ludicrous that it actually resulted in people believing that the government was lying--which may have been the government's agenda all along. If you knew how psy ops work, you would understand that. However, I suspect that you're a literalist and won't. Suffice it to say that the last place I would look for truth is the government. If I happen to agree with any official position of the government, it's purely coincidental.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Poor kid.

Thank you for your post!

If you want to shake the liberal tree just mention FOX and see who falls out.

I've noticed college students like to quote Stewart and Colbert as news sources instead of the left-leaning comedy shows they are. When using such sources [and politifact] as proof of another source's bias it's intellectually honest to acknowledge their biases and inaccuracies, both accidental and deliberate, as well.

Which comes back to making up ones own mind based on eclectic input.
edit on 2-2-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Poor kid.

(cough-cough, NBC Brian Williams, cough-cough, CBS Dan Rather, cough-cough, ABC Brian Ross, cough-cough, CNN Fareed Zacharia, cough-cough MSNBC Melissa Harris-Perry, cough-cough NPR James O'Keefe)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
my 2 cents....I believe we are not alone, and that we have been visited...number 1 is simply the vastness of space, coupled with statistical probability. number 2 are the many sightings occurring on a grand scale with many witnesses....example: the 1952 sighting over Washington D.C.... the sightings and shutdowns of our nuclear launch ICBM sites in the northern plain states....the upclose sightings of the Rendlesham Forest incident...the sightings during the Vietnam war of many combat serviceman trained in spotting aircraft, etc.....these are just some the credible ones. the problem here on ATS, is that most members have already done some research on their own, and have a rather cynical view of what is being portrayed as a sighting of a UFO.
I have to admit that I went to a UFO symposium in san jose, California a few years back, expecting to stay for the whole weekend. I was there for the Friday night session only, then I drove back home, (luckily I didn't purchase the whole weekend package). why? all the information for those 4 hours was just a repeat of information I found on my own. the amount of book sellers stretched out over more than ten tables, the 20 bucks for the Friday entrance fee, coupled with the high price of a cheap glass of wine, helped in my decision to leave.....even Nick Pope, the "headliner" for that night, spoke almost verbatim of what I heard from him on You Tube. needless to say, I was disappointed

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

If you want to shake the liberal tree just mention FOX and see who falls out.

It's not about liberalism vs conservatism.

It's about fact based journalism vs fear based propaganda.

US mainstream cable news is a dead zone to me in general but the trend Fox started lead to the creation of MSNBC being similar from the other side and CNN losing its focus on news in favor of "infotainment".

In short, FOX killed news as we know it in terms of the traditional US based networks.

I rather watch CBC (we get it on cable here in Seattle), BBC America, AJ America, at least they treat news in the "just the facts" way which the popularity of "infotainment" in America pushed aside.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Poor kid.

(cough-cough, NBC Brian Williams, cough-cough, CBS Dan Rather, cough-cough, ABC Brian Ross, cough-cough, CNN Fareed Zacharia, cough-cough MSNBC Melissa Harris-Perry, cough-cough NPR James O'Keefe)

None of those networks were started for the sole purpose of pushing a political agenda though. Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes have flat out stated that was the purpose and is the purpose of Fox News.

As a person of science a lot of the way they have treated science stories makes me cringe. I'm surprised they don't make you cringe as well seeing as you are a logical, rational person.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

The 24 hour cable news cycle killed journalism, and there's plenty of blame to go around - see my last post, and I wasn't even trying.

And it's ALL about Liberalism vs. Conservatism in the media. Your mentioned show, Stewart, is about mocking conservatives while Colbert was about lampooning conservatives, which is fine until people start quoting them as objective journalists, which happens a lot.

No accountability or integrity anymore. When NPR is busted shilling [both Ron and Vivian] for the left it's time to turn the box off.

Been listening to local news radio instead. No hype and presented without spin, in most cases.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Poor kid.

None of those networks were started for the sole purpose of pushing a political agenda though. Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes have flat out stated that was the purpose and is the purpose of Fox News.

As a person of science a lot of the way they have treated science stories makes me cringe. I'm surprised they don't make you cringe as well seeing as you are a logical, rational person.

Everyone knows Fox's spin and they do precious little to hide it. Same with MSNBC. What pisses me off are the networks who try and stealth themselves as objective... like CNN, NBC, CBS, and NPR. In a field of left-leaning networks I think we can give the Right their one. And once you acknowledge their spin you can filter the wheat from the chaff. That's why I'm such a stickler about source vetting. Who said it? What are their qualifications? Biases? Agendas?

I have seen cringe-worthy reporting on just about every network, including the Discovery channel, History channel, and Animal planet. Yelling at the screen doesn't seem to help. :-)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

a reply to: JadeStar

The 24 hour cable news cycle killed journalism, and there's plenty of blame to go around - see my last post, and I wasn't even trying.

But it didn't have to, and it hasn't in other countries. Have you travelled much? News usually doesn't break down along "liberal/conservative" lines. It's just news.

And in reality it didn't really go downhill until Fox.

And it's ALL about Liberalism vs. Conservatism in the media. Your mentioned show, Stewart, is about mocking conservatives while Colbert was about lampooning conservatives, which is fine until people start quoting them as objective journalists, which happens a lot.

The list of lies however were factual statements about things Fox News pushed which turned out to not be true. That list exists independent of Colbert or Stewart. It's a matter of record.

No accountability or integrity anymore. When NPR is busted shilling [both Ron and Vivian] for the left it's time to turn the box off.

Been listening to local news radio instead. No hype and presented without spin, in most cases.

I agree wholeheartedly.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Everyone knows Fox's spin and they do precious little to hide it. Same with MSNBC. What pisses me off are the networks who try and stealth themselves as objective... like CNN, NBC, CBS, and NPR. In a field of left-leaning networks

Oh its' the liberal media conspiracy theory.... There goes your rationality.

Those networks were not "liberal" they just reported news. They were not started to be "liberal mouthpieces". You've believed a conspiracy theory that was first put forward by the John Birch society (look them up) back in the 1950s and popularized by Richard Nixon (credible guy huh) and unfortunately a bunch of this country buy into it.

You know what left leaning media is? Stuff like The Guardian, Pravda, etc.

There have been study after study done on bias in the media and what you say simply about "everyone is just as biased as Fox" is not true, Fox clearly is the most biased and its always been that way because it was designed to be that way.

Rupert Murdoch wanted to bring polarizing news media to America such as existed in the UK tabloid industry, and he succeeded.

In most countries no one would call CNN, ABC, or CBS left leaning. What they do, however is push stories which benefit their corporate overlords, namely Viacom and Disney.

I do not need nor want news to reflect my political philosophy. Nor do I want it to shove a product or person down my throat. I just want to learn the facts of what happened.

Traditional journalism and the fairness doctrine. Look it up.
edit on 6-2-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Here's the other thing I find ironic: when a "planet-X-Nibiru-crop circles-chemtrails-NASA lies-alienz are here stealing energy from the sun" type strenuously protests the spin and lies of a particular news outlet because it was casually mentioned in an anecdote. Fox may be right-biased, but it's still light years above and beyond what passes as a qualified source to these types.
edit on 6-2-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Here's the other thing I find ironic: when a "planet-X-Nibiru-crop circles-chemtrails-NASA lies-alienz are here stealing energy from the sun" type strenuously protests the spin and lies of a particular news outlet because it was casually mentioned in an anecdote. Fox may be right-biased, but it's still light years above and beyond what passes as a qualified source to these types.

No doubt about that!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Everyone knows Fox's spin and they do precious little to hide it. Same with MSNBC. What pisses me off are the networks who try and stealth themselves as objective... like CNN, NBC, CBS, and NPR. In a field of left-leaning networks

Oh its' the liberal media conspiracy theory.... There goes your rationality.

A little quick to accuse there, Jade. Seemed to be an autonomic response... I hope it wasn't.

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories that I know of. My views on media bias are based primarily on my perception - what I see and hear from the sources themselves. And based upon more than one Gallup poll, it would seem that I'm not alone in my "paranoia".

www.gallup.com...

And to get back to the original point, which was the importance of backing up your assertions, whatever they may be, with facts, a discussion like we were having [before the accusatory tone] can't proceed with unsupported accusations alone.
edit on 6-2-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I keep seeing MSNBC compared to FOX....all you have to do is research what is quoted as fact on each station....MSNBC is far superior to FOX, not perfect, but, FOX just out and out lies....however, FOX's Megan Kelly with her attitude, would seem real comfortable wearing a black leather corset, 6-inch high-heeled leather boots, and holding a riding crop in her....uhmm...sorry...lost track of where I was going with this......
edit on 6-2-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
There is an effort to undermine the UFO forum by a few dudes that rattle off the same testable evidence they want you to produce, they troll threads saying the same thing over and over despite thier having no ability or qualifications to ever test anything.

Like someone saying they need a space ship to fly in to believe there are space ships is pretty silly.

The point seems to be to undermines the whole premise of a discussion of the topics presented, and repeat their testable evidence mantra.

At this point I believe such folks are just being willfully ignorant of the topics presented in threads and since they refuse to discuss the topics presented they have no place posting the same BS over and over again.

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54 >>

join