It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Alaska Race For Governor, Democrats Try An Unusual Tactic: Dropping Out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I see this as a case of if you can't beat em, join them:

This November, for the first time since Alaska became a state, the ballot won't include a Democratic candidate for governor. The Democrats had a candidate, Byron Mallott, but around Labor Day, he dropped out — in order to sign up as a running mate for a non-partisan candidate named Bill Walker.

As part of the deal with the Democrats, Walker changed his voter registration from "Republican" to "undeclared." At a recent candidate debate, he emphasized his desire to get past party labels. "My — OUR administration will be not bipartisan, it will be NO-partisan," Walker said. "We're going to do what's best for Alaska, not necessarily what's best for one party or another party."

The Walker-Mallott ticket would rather campaign on budget issues. State spending has become a hot topic, because the state relies so heavily on oil money — and Alaska's oil production is in a long-term decline. Under Parnell, the state has run deficits, and has had to dip into reserve funds. Walker campaign aide Ron Clarke says his candidate is trying to restore a sense of realism about the state's long-term fiscal health. "We've now raised more than an entire generation of people that pay no state-wide taxes and get free money every October, yet the state services keep coming," Clarke says. "The roads get plowed, the streets get paved, all this stuff happens, I don't know, maybe people think it's done by elves in the night."

source

I am all for voting for independents; but I feel that we should keep our eyes open for party jumpers claiming an overnight change of their views, beliefs and political party.
edit on 20-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: add source

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hmmm( scratches head ).

Thanks for posting that.

Some time ago in Pennsylvania..
Arlen Specter changed his party affiliate from Republican to Democrat.
To buy him extra time in office.

The agenda will remain the same.
edit on 20-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Please post when Sarah Palin says something about this. She's always good for a comment, and since this is Alaskan politics, she should be steamed enough to go out and shoot a few wolves and bears just to gather her senses.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

It's called "fool the rubes." Check their "independent." If this is anything like Kansas, he or she likely is really not. Basically, the Democrats know they won't win running as Democrats, so they pick someone who runs as "independent." In Kansas, they almost had people fooled until it came out that the "independent" was also a big democrat doner and ran as a Democrat in the past. People are still enamored of the independent label but more and more it's coming out that the Democrats are trying to pull a fast one and capitalize on anti-political sentiments in a red state where people hate incumbents and Democrats.

They got a big bounce, so they're doing it sooner to the election in Alaska to try to capitalize on the bounce they're hoping to get.

Then the "independent" goes to Washington and caucuses with the Democrats.

edit on 20-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In this case the "independent" was a former registered Republican. So, we're essentially getting an conservative independent Governor and a Democrat Lt. Governor if elected.

They're running against a Republican incumbent. The Democrats probably figure having their man 2nd in charge is better than not at all. Besides in Alaska, the Lt. Governor is in charge of the division of elections.

Alaska is conservative strong hold, not necessarily a Republican one. Many people here would rather vote for someone with conservative ideals but isn't affiliated with one of the big parties.

I thought it was quite cunning. Bill Walker (the independent guy) wouldn't get the backing of the Republican party -- and the Democrat candidate wouldn't win. So, why not join forces?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

There are plenty of places where the candidate knows that only Republicans can get elected, so they run as Republicans even though they are really Democrats and they proceed to vote with liberal ideologies. Kansas is one of those places. You want some examples of those types of Republicans ... check out "Republicans for Greg Orman."

When Specter switched parties, you just saw him being honest.

And if you think Republican is synonymous with conservative, you don't pay attention to what either term means.

edit on 20-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I do not like D's nor R's, nor do I like them with an I,

it just seems like another corporate lie.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Thanks for replying,

and I think you hit the nail on the head!

top topics

join