It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Month, Another Heat Record Broken

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The WORLD'S monthly heat record has been broken.....AGAIN! We don't really feel it here in the US yet because the US is under a "cool" climate window and so we don't see Climate Change or Global Warming as apparent as other parts of the World.

The reason involves El Nino, a warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean that affects weather worldwide. In 1998, the year started off super-hot because of an El Nino. But then that El Nino disappeared and temperatures moderated slightly toward the end of the year.

This year has no El Nino yet, but forecasts for the rest of the year show a strong chance that one will show up, and that weather will be warmer than normal, Blunden said.

If 2014 breaks the record for hottest year, that also should sound familiar: 1995, 1997, 1998, 2005 and 2010 all broke NOAA records for the hottest years since records started being kept in 1880.

All of the pieces are coming together in a dis-heartening way, ATS. What's the answer?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
damn

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It's been incredibly hot year here in Scotland. Last week was the first time i have had the central heating on since april/May..even then i could have got away with just sticking on another layer...

The trees are just starting to lose there leaves and it's also been a great couple of years for Apples. Never had an Apple from a local tree here in the past 8 years...this year, i'm sick of eating them.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Coolest July, August, and September in the Ozarks that I ever remember. Not a day over 100* F, and usually we have many.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Here in The Netherlands 18th of october 2014 has officially been declared the warmest day in october ever since recorded temprature history of our country!!

Climate is indeed changing in our region of the planet.

EDIT: It was 24 ºC
edit on 20/10/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
How long have we kept records of the temp? since 1880, what about higher global temps during the late Roman period and early middle ages? go back to the Jurassic or Carboniferous era, was it cooler then? can you prove that it is hotter now than it has ever been? did we all go extinct before?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
With records only being kept since 1880, do we really have enough info to decide anything? The planet has been here for a long time and it just feels like reacting to a little over a century is premature.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
October has been very hot in Denmark, but very wet, wave after wave of torrential rain showers, actually the whole year has been rain and more rain.

June and july was very hot and wet and that has transferred to the oceans around Denmark, which now means that when fronts coming in they pick up a lot of water from the ocean and dumps it over land.

The DMI (Danish meteorological institute) goes against the stream though, and says it has nothing to do with climate change, it's just been a freak year.

Sea temperatures is 3 to 4 degrees higher than normal for this time of year

edit on 20-10-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook...All of the pieces are coming together in a dis-heartening way, ATS. What's the answer?
Not getting all of your climate news from Huffinton Post would be a good starting point.

You could always try the interactive site that holds most of the Data sources, this one for the HADCRUT4 NH mean:
woodfortrees.org... If you use the drop-down at the 'Data source:' you can elect other data sets and combine them if you wish.

I'm unclear why these scare headlines are used, in the media, other than maybe trying to sell something?

There is also another dataset CET (Central England Temperature) that dates back to the mid 1600's.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

But somewhere where conservatives live, it snowed... therefore, no global warming.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: phrig

Hmm looks complex enough. How would a regular person without any type of background be able to navigate such an app? It's useless to anyone who doesn't know how to operate it.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySoloFlySolo: Using the site at its simplest, just use the drop-down to select the dataset you wish to view and, once selected, press the 'Plot Graph' button. A new graph will be generated for the entirety of the recorded data on the set that you selected.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
With records only being kept since 1880, do we really have enough info to decide anything? The planet has been here for a long time and it just feels like reacting to a little over a century is premature.

If we don't have info to say this is happened before, then one should assume the worst anyway. Clearly, something is happening with the weather and if it didn't happen in my life time up till now, then that's all I/you need to know to become concerned. The planet doesn't just "react" and naturally begin to overheat. The planet has been here for a long time. Just going round'n round the sun for billions of years, unmoved. Same orbit, same speed without change longer than forever can be imagined. In my mind, there can be no reason for the earth to suddenly heat up. Suddenly being relatively speaking of course. Unless once every few thousands years our orbit shifts closer to the sun. But that doesn't happen. The only coincidental timing is the industrial revolution coinciding with record keeping of the weather but it's no coincidence the planet began heating up at the same time. Really should assume the worst.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

oh sure, I could go randomly picking data sets but without the ability to interpret the results or know what I'm querying, it's useless.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
was just thinking this ...
saved a few quid in heating bills so far ... havent had it on this winter yet .. had many mild winters in scotland past few decades, but this still feels a bit like our summer to me ...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The mass of Earth's atmosphere is one millionth of the Earth's mass.

The sun deposits more energy in one hour into the atmosphere than does all the burning of fossils fuels during a year's time.

The variance in recorded temperatures amounts to less than 1*C

Satellite measurements of ocean surface has only been available since 1970. When they say "6th hottest", it means 6th out of 45, not 6th out of 200.

"Scientists" have been caught "doctoring" the temps higher.

Eco-nazis have been known to head NOAA (Medina) www.noaa.gov...

Known political and economic agendas exist that profit from selling MMGW

edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo
What? You have a problem with observed data recording?

Why would anyone wish to try and over-complicate a simple trend and then, by your inference, dismiss observers of that trend as being incapable of understanding them?

edit on 20/10/2014 by phrig because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I'm not knocking the app. I'm just saying it's designed for scientists.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo
On the contrary, I would say that it's designed for anyone that could interpret a simple graph?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tusks

But, but,,, priuses,,,, and carbon taxes....

We just gotta have carbon taxes!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join