It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible 'Witch Bottle' Found in Nottinghamshire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well this is an interesting find (and timely!). A completely intact, green bottle has been uncovered that is being identified as likely being a "witch bottle" which has a shape reminiscent of video game potion bottles.

From Archaeology Magazine:

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND—An intact green bottle has been unearthed at the site of the Old Magnus Buildings, constructed in during the Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian periods for use as a free school. “Finding this very fragile bottle in one piece supports the idea that it was carefully placed in the ground. Perhaps it was buried during the Georgian part of the Old Magnus Building, but we can’t be certain,” archaeologist Will Munford of Pre-construct Archaeological Services of Lincoln told BBC News. The bottle may have been filled with fingernail clippings, hair, and urine, or pins as a protection from witches.

The original, much longer story, can be viewed on the BBC news site. From the statements by archaeologist Will Munford, there was also a "witching shoe" found at the site which would have served a similar purpose as a defense against witchcraft. The bottle is believed to date from the 16th century.
edit on 2014-10-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
It is a cool find. thanks for posting the story.

I couldn't help but laugh though, imagining some fellow pissing in a bottle... "There, that witch can't get me now!"

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah, I'm not witch but if anyone is leaving bottles of urine and finger nail clippings around, I'm probably avoiding them altogether lol.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I couldn't help but laugh though, imagining some fellow pissing in a bottle... "There, that witch can't get me now!"

I think I can speak for all Witches. A little piss has no effect on us at all.

Cool find, it is a delicate bottle. I love the fact it's still intact. With our luck, it has some new virus we have no cure for in it.

Des

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Interesting find!

The link didn't work for me though.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
Interesting find!

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed it!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

I knew there was an Ebola tie-in here somewhere!

edit on 2014-10-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

What about a load of piss des.. does that have any
effect

edit on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:07:42 -0500072America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric
Interesting find!

Thanks for pointing that out, I've fixed it!

No problem at all. Thanks for fixing it....now I'm off to read some more.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Looks like an old wine bottle, which turns into urine within minutes of consumption. Maybe an ATS glass-expert will wander by, wait, I see one now.....

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The note in the bottle said
"Help! Im stranded in Nottinghamshire... please send help"

or maybe not ... I can see a flaw in this plan

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just once I'd like to see someone talented in Psychometry get a chance to handle the bottle and just see what is said?
Seriously......it couldn't hurt.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I've read of one that had belly button lint.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It's funny that they claim it was protection from witches. Many witches I know do the same thing. It is for protection but it's usually to protect the witch.

Personally, I've never made one with my own urine (I thought about it on my last one) but I include needles and other unsavory things before the actual incantations and burial.

The last thing these will protect you from is a witch.

ps edit - Just wanted to clarify that I understand its historical use as an agent against evil sorcery which could include ill-intended witches. My point was that it is mostly used in witchcraft (almost exclusively nowdays) for the same purpose against the same evils.
edit on 20-10-2014 by Cuervo because: clarification

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

So made by witches to protect against ill-intentioned witches?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Evil intent comes from many sources. Not all who produce unwelcome magic effects are witches. Some are pastors, some are sorcerers, and some are simply psychics with poor ethics.

Also, what two people consider to be "evil" are two entirely different things. I see many evils in the westernized Christian church while they would see everything I do as evil. I base it on intent. If something comes from fear or hate, it's "evil" to me. Superstition and dogma play no role in that determination.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Nice find, an old friend made me one for protection when i moved into a new house... i'm in the process of selling it and debating wether to leave it for the new folk, but sadly my old friend is no longer able to give advice on the matter.... anyone?

ETA: the friend's a witch, so i guess i kinda got the opposite of what is in the OP

edit on 20-10-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Nice find, an old friend made me one for protection when i moved into a new house... i'm in the process of selling it and debating wether to leave it for the new folk, but sadly my old friend is no longer able to give advice on the matter.... anyone?

ETA: the friend's a witch, so i guess i kinda got the opposite of what is in the OP

It depends on your own feelings about it if you can't get in contact with your friend. Most people who make them are intrinsically tied to it and having one made for you is quite special. Beyond the person who made it, the bottle is tied to the place itself and should stay there if it poses no other problems.

If the people moving in seem the type who would have issues with it, then consider removing it. If they are the type who might think it's rather cool, then maybe tell them about it in a way that doesn't creep them out.

If it needs removed for sure, relocate it rather than pouring it out.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

originally posted by: butcherguy

I think I can speak for all Witches. A little piss has no effect on us at all.

Cool find, it is a delicate bottle. I love the fact it's still intact. With our luck, it has some new virus we have no cure for in it.

Des

Yeah one that wipes out the illuminati and fellow scum that help them

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Evil intent comes from many sources. Not all who produce unwelcome magic effects are witches. Some are pastors, some are sorcerers, and some are simply psychics with poor ethics.

Also, what two people consider to be "evil" are two entirely different things. I see many evils in the westernized Christian church while they would see everything I do as evil. I base it on intent. If something comes from fear or hate, it's "evil" to me. Superstition and dogma play no role in that determination.

why do you think witches are evil stop listening to the catholic church the genuine evil on this planet, a witch is a person who supplied herbs for medicine and pharmacy means sorcery

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join