It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Cross-Shaped Pattern on Mars Surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A strange microscopic cross within a circle was spotted in an image taken by the Curiosity rover.

Here's the original image. Was this a mark made by the Curiosity rover? Some sort of strange crystalline structure? Or could it be the fossil remains of a something like a diatom? Whatever it is, it's clearly not the run of the mill shadow play and pareidolia. Surprisingly, I hadn't seen this posted yet on ATS but if I missed it my search, my apologies!

More at Unexplained Mysteries (keep an eye out for related items via Obscuragator)
edit on 2014-10-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

looks like a ninja star

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think theres something connected over there with us?! a reply to: theantediluvian

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Already discussed and shown to be the imprint from a screw on the micro-imager on the rover:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

After doing a little more poking around, it appears that this is in fact an impression left by a screw head on the housing of the rover's APXS spectrometer.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thanks for the additional links! I read the first few pages of that thread when it was started but I didn't stick with it long enough to see that picture and the subsequent analysis.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
A strange microscopic cross within a circle was spotted in an image taken by the Curiosity rover.

Here's the original image. Was this a mark made by the Curiosity rover? Some sort of strange crystalline structure? Or could it be the fossil remains of a something like a diatom? Whatever it is, it's clearly not the run of the mill shadow play and pareidolia. Surprisingly, I hadn't seen this posted yet on ATS but if I missed it my search, my apologies!

More at Unexplained Mysteries (keep an eye out for related items via Obscuragator)

That looks like the impression of a phillips head screw... perhaps from part of the scope bumping the dust?

They are used on the rover's cameras:

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 20-10-2014 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: zedy63

looks like a ninja star

makes sense
if ninjas lived there since you couldn't see them

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I just did a quick experiment with a power supply and some coffee creamer.

The creamer was pretty coarse... I'm thinking dessicated fine powder in an extremely thin atmosphere would yield better results.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: zedy63

There are six Ninja's standing right next to it...you just can't see them because...they're Ninjas!

new topics

top topics

join