It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Anything Real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So with all the threads on Ebola all covering the same topic to death I thought I would propose a thread that suggests Ebola is not real, however Ebola is not the topic of this thread, rather this is a thread asking a very serious question on a very different topic. So if you let me are getting fed up of all of the same threads on ATS, stick about with me (if I exist) for a half a hour or so and explore this very simple but complex question

Is Anything Real?

watch the video's in this thread and follow through with this line of thought then ask yourself, does anything actually exist out with your mind, is it possible that you are not actually reading this words but they are really just the product of your imagination.

Its a amazing idea called Solipsism, a growing idea that you do not exist, nor do I or your family, your lover, your friends or fortunately even your boss because quite simply they do not exist outside the boundaries of your mind. Solipsism basically says that you can really only ever "believe" that the outside world exists but the only think you can every truly "know" is that you yourself exist with in your mind. So you have to believe that your external reality, the world around you is actually real but you can only know that your internal self, your mind is real.

This video form Vsauce gives a pretty good explanation.

Kind of blows your mind a little bit if your really start to think about it.

And it gets even more strange if you really start to take it to a extreme, if I accept, for arguments sake that the only thing that I "know" to exist is my own conciousness then I have to ask where is my conciousness?

Where is my physical conciousness, my body is part of my perceived reality, to a Solip it is just avatar a physical representation of myself in my imagined reality so it cannot exist with in this body.

So then if this is the case, what if this next video is onto something..... (Morgan freeman, Quantum mechanics, and god, why are you not watching it?)

Humanity as a simulation...... our conciousness having a physical reality only on a hard-drive

What if we are all just parts of some giant cosmic computer program, something akin to the matrix or what if Douglas Adams was onto something when in the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy deep thought said that he earth was just a complex computer built to find the question to the "ultimate question to live, the universe and everything"?

Now to be totally honest with you all, when I got round to this video this stuff starts to go way over my head, but its still very interesting.

I personally find all this stuff pretty interesting, i could mean for example that after I log off ATS, ATS stops to exist. Quite a mind bending thought, it starts to open up all of these matrix conspiracies and make them more credible.

However for me, personally, as interesting as this is it is far more convenient and simple to believe that you, yes you, exist in a physical world along side me. That you and your consciousness contained with in a physical biological being can have a impact on me and I on you.

So it is much easier for me to believe, but not know, that everything that I can perceive and sense does actually exist.

Or does it....

What say you ATS.

Is anything real?......

edit on 20-10-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You're gonna make think and have feels on this one OSOTC...

Damn you!

I'm starring and flagging ahead of reading the whole OP, but I have a few thoughts before I do.

Is everything just a persistent illusion? IMO yes and no.

I believe reality is an amalgamation of everybody's reality. I believe that perception is very malleable and that we only believe the White House is where it is, because we've all been told and shown that's where it is.

Super positioning with Quantum Mechanics is certainly a possibility. So is the multi verse from what little of the science I can understand at this point.

That being said, to me regardless of what the answer is, it's REAL. It's all we know. If is a simulation, than our sim is reality and the reality would be simulation.

The rabbit hole goes deep.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Yes.

Everything is real.

Things that aren't real aren't things.

You have reached the final station on the slippery slope known as conspiracy theory.

Below you, there is only the abyss of madness. Mind you don't fall in.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It appears that my mortgage is real. It seems like my electric bill and taxes are real. Other than that, I'm not sure what is real.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It appears that my mortgage is real. It seems like my electric bill and taxes are real. Other than that, I'm not sure what is real.

Just don't pay and if your imagination takes you to court in the illusion you call "reality" then just use the Matrix Defence

Could courts just be a way for our computer program to enforce our coding????

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
never mind

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i think stuart crane handles this best in the proofs of conspiracy audio-series (5 parts)
when he's ranting about "..we just call it a table because it has table-ness" (and so on)

..if nothing is real & has any intrinsic meaning, give me all your #?

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

I cannot because you do not exist

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: UNIT76

I cannot because you do not exist

and neither do you or this thread. This post does not exist, so it's pointless to reply.

However our 5 senses are programmed to decode unreality so we don't bump into things or spill our soup.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The only thing that is real is permanent and unchanging. Identify what that is within yourself and your understanding . everything else is a means to this end.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
The only thing that is real is permanent and unchanging. Identify what that is within yourself and your understanding . everything else is a means to this end.

Zen makes dangerous toys....

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
In order to determine if anything is real, you first need a good working definition of "real".

Is a dream real? Well a dream is certainly capable of scaring you, entertaining you, and teaching you just as a movie on your television is. Dreams are nothing more than a species of reality. So, in that, they are as "real" as waking life.

This is truly a question that does not have an answer...

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

maybee... its a rabbit hole im still going down

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Nice thread, hurts my head to contemplate these things. I personally believe that NDE's are a glimpse behind this illusion and that we should be investing more time and energy exploring this phenomena.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Kind of blows your mind a little bit if your really start to think about it.

Or eases it when you understand it.

So it is much easier for me to believe, but not know, that everything that I can perceive and sense does actually exist.

Or does it....

What say you ATS.

Is anything real?......

Yes your beliefs are real

What if we are all just parts of some giant cosmic computer program, something akin to the matrix or what if Douglas Adams was onto something when in the hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy deep thought said that he earth was just a complex computer built to find the question to the "ultimate question to live, the universe and everything"?

Could we be ghosts in a machine we created to gain this answer but in doing so have trapped ourselves in a reality set by laws and boundaries that keep us that one step away from liberating our minds?

Look around at entertainment and the virtual realities being created and the programs being written for creating new virtual worlds, we are experiencing 2014 but when like in the matrix it could be a very distant future but instead of our bodies being used as batteries we created a bio network where humans could became immortal through transcendence, the merging of our mind with our technology.

This process opened up a new window into finding answers to question philosophy and science have debated for millennia by being directly linked to all the collective information of the past, present and variable future.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This process opened up a new window into finding answers to question philosophy and science have debated for millennia by being directly linked to all the collective information of the past, present and variable future.

As to the above about the collective info if you meditate on a single intangible thing like a value of some sort ex: honor, courage, kindness ect. there will be a deeper level of knowledge that you were previously unaware of after you dwell on it and exhaust all known examples, ideas, thoughts on it. its an untapped resource simply because we are being dragged in a mutitude of mental directions at every turn, mass media is a pro at this so you dont awake to see the truth of just one thing

its kinda like keep em in the dark and feed em s*** it works on the masses to keep em in check.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Here is my reply Coin.
I believe you missed this one or at least chose not to chime.
I just ask that you read the OP and surmise for me, whether or
not this sounds as if I'm mad to you, or not?

SnF BTW

edit on Ram102014v442014u44 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Could courts just be a way for our computer program to enforce our coding????

Laws and boundaries.

Other institutions help enforce our coding as well.

Are we in one of those institutions now, we must be as they are linked in a network if it was to function and keep us conflicted even when we see clearly.

another poster posted this

You have reached the final station on the slippery slope known as conspiracy theory.

Below you, there is only the abyss of madness. Mind you don't fall in.

so true, however whats below you that Astyanax warns not to fall into all depends on your understanding of what flies and what doesn't in terms of education or enlightenment of others beside you based on your progress in this game of life.

Start making sense and having people listen and hear you and you will find the agents of the matrix at every corner in your life which in turn will get lead you into abyss mentioned.

Understand what you have learnt and apply that to your life in a way where you enlighten those beside you by example instead of by word.

Its a slower process and might not enlighten anybody if those are the reasons and purpose of your being.

Due to its slow process of transformation from action to knowledge passed on its one where deception has a hard time infiltrating, where the agents of the matrix have no power as your examples instead of your words can move mountains so to speak but the slow hard way is one which seems to be lost on much of humanity of present.

Nothing I am saying is real, Its just rubbish coming from the mind of mad man thinking he is sane in an insane world.

Or ......

Nah Im just mad and some things are better left unknown, actually many things are better left unknown.

Ignorance is bliss.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
the bedrock is real. everything is just a copy of what is contained within the bedrock and will perish

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

@Is Anything Real?

I’m sure some of you will wonder: “If electron repulsion prevents us from ever truly touching anything, why do we perceive touch as a real thing?” The answer boils down to how our brains interpret the physical world. In this case, there are a number of factors at work. In short, the nerve cells that make up our body send signals to our brain that tells us we are physically touching something, when the sensation of touch is merely given to us by our electron’s interaction with – and its repulsion from – the electromagnetic field permeating spacetime; one medium electron waves propagate through.

www.fromquarkstoquasars.com...

Considering this the perception of what is real may vary depending on the observer...

NAMASTE*******

top topics

<<   2 >>

join