It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fun and Non-violent Kids' Videogames?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
Portal 2 touches on critical thinking, is funny, thought provoking and presents a very large underground world that is full of interesting things to see. One of the top 5 best games of all time in my opinion.

Minecraft is great also, along with Little Big Planet for building stuff.

My daughter loves Portal, Portal 2, Little Big Planet and Minecraft. The latter two are great creative outlets for her.

Other suggestions that are off the beaten track, depending on age, for the OP:

Tiny Brains--hilarious co-op game that is both cute, funny and a great coop puzzler. My family had a BLAST playing Tiny Brains together and even the 18 year old son played and had a great time, lol.

Crayon Physics Deluxe--super relaxing older game that can be picked up on the cheap digitally for PC. Heck, I have it installed on my computer for those times where I feel like doing something interesting and well, super relaxing. The nice bonus to this one is that it does involve physics.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hearthstone would be decent for kids, it's an animated card game. It's easy to play but will teach basic strategy and thinking skills depending on the age. It's also free if you have a Battle.net account.
Civilization V is also awesome, it's a turn-based strategy game where you build up a civilization and try to win under various conditions. It may be a little complex though for kids that are too young.
I've never played Minecraft, but that would probably be an excellent bet, no matter the age or ability.
Check out games from services like Steam or Gog, particularly "casual" games. Lots of kid-friendly games in there.

As for consoles... Forza and Gran Turismo are excellent racing games.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Since you didn't specify for which console. If its for kids I would get a Wii U, of all the systems out there it has the most kid friendly games, while some systems like the ps3 may have games like little big planet both the ps systems and the x-box even the PC cater more to the grown ups, while Nintendo still is predominantly a kids system but it also has games older people can play. Pretty much most of the better games on other systems like the portal series or minecraft or other series, are also on the wii u, so there are plenty of games for kids and parents as well.

In fact I would get one if I had money to throw around but I would only be likely playing the Mario games or the Mario cart or Zelda games, even Mario party is a pretty fun game. Its got plenty of kids games, in fact some up coming games that even I would want to play like like X or the new upcoming zelda game. So if your looking to buy something for kids, ya the wii u would keep them pretty busy no matter which game you get.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Humm, tons of it but Terraria/Minecraft/Roblox (but maybe supervise the choices in mini-games...). Older but still fun The Incredible Machine Mega Pack on Gog, Machinarium, Max and the magic marker, Bookworm Adventures and I second Crayon Physics. So many good titles...

edit on 2014 10 20 by LoveSolMoonDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Thanks to all posters! GREAT suggestions for non-violent games for kids, and I agree that WiiU is probably the best game console, since it involves exercise and movement. I had no idea there were so many intelligent and instructive videogames for kids out there. Although I'll continue looking for niche games that might involve STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.

www.rube-goldberg.com...
RUBE GOLDBERG GAMES
Yes, there was a real Rube Goldberg, and he was an engineer. Scroll down to the games from "Mouse Trap" to "IncrediBots." (Someone's already mentioned "LittleBigPlanet.")

And if kids want to make their own Rube Goldberg devices and then put it in a video, there are plenty of grown-ups (sober or not) who'd be happy to watch that video:

coolmaterial.com...
10 BRILLIANT RUBE GOLDBERG MACHINES

top topics

<< 1   >>

join